U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 02-18-2008, 11:03 AM
 
219 posts, read 379,640 times
Reputation: 142

Advertisements

Its scary that so many people vote for whoever they think is the most likeable, without even knowing anything about the issues or what the candidate stands for. People forget that we are voting for president of the united states, not homecoming king. This is not a popularity contest. If Tom Cruise ever runs for president he would probably get elected because so many voters are shallow and superficial. If you want a motivational speaker for president then lets elect Tony Robbins or Dr. Phil. Who cares about experience or qualifications? Why do we need somebody who is educated on defence, foreign policy, or national security? Lets put a cheerleader in charge of our army. This is why terrorists hate us. Americans have become more concerned about whats going on with Brittney Spears than we are about the qualifications of our presidential candidates.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 02-18-2008, 01:04 PM
 
1,949 posts, read 4,726,561 times
Reputation: 912
this is a thinly vieled anti-Obama, pro hillary post.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-18-2008, 01:27 PM
 
7,987 posts, read 11,198,472 times
Reputation: 2704
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linson View Post
this is a thinly vieled anti-Obama, pro hillary post.
And Obama himself is a master of thinly veiled comments. So your point would be?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-18-2008, 01:35 PM
 
Location: Atlanta, GA
2,290 posts, read 5,036,788 times
Reputation: 785
Quote:
Originally Posted by dpow View Post
Its scary that so many people vote for whoever they think is the most likeable, without even knowing anything about the issues or what the candidate stands for. People forget that we are voting for president of the united states, not homecoming king. This is not a popularity contest. If Tom Cruise ever runs for president he would probably get elected because so many voters are shallow and superficial. If you want a motivational speaker for president then lets elect Tony Robbins or Dr. Phil. Who cares about experience or qualifications? Why do we need somebody who is educated on defence, foreign policy, or national security? Lets put a cheerleader in charge of our army. This is why terrorists hate us. Americans have become more concerned about whats going on with Brittney Spears than we are about the qualifications of our presidential candidates.
If you want someone with experience in politicking and who's non-motivational, then I urge you to vote for Hillary Clinton.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-18-2008, 01:41 PM
 
Location: Turn Left at Greenland
17,700 posts, read 35,557,204 times
Reputation: 7951
You had me till here:


Quote:
Originally Posted by dpow View Post
Who cares about experience or qualifications? Why do we need somebody who is educated on defence, foreign policy, or national security? Lets put a cheerleader in charge of our army. This is why terrorists hate us. Americans have become more concerned about whats going on with Brittney Spears than we are about the qualifications of our presidential candidates.

I care about experience and qualifications because the president is our representative to the world. I'd like the next president to be able to speak well and not embarass us by giving unwanted shoulder massages to world leaders. I want our next president to not get cross eyed when they don't know what to say. I've said it before and I'll say it yet again, I want a president who is smarter than me and I'm no member of MENSA.

And since we were attacked on 9/11, I care about national security. Not that my little town is going to be attacked, but I don't want to see thousands get killed so some whack guys can get 72 virgins. And if we are attacked again, I want someone who doesn't have a personal vendetta against some regime that had nothing to do with said attack and can see the forest through the trees and go after the buttheads who actually attacked us and stick with it until all are caught and brought to justice.

We need to be rid of civilian leadership in the defense department too and, unfortunately, the past leadership hasn't understood that.

And yes, it is infuriating that Buttney Spearhead gets the same press coverage as the presidential candidates, although, it seems to have petered off lately, thank <insert favorite deity here>, but that's the media and their desire to continue the trend of dumbing down America with soundbites and scandal because that's easy to do.

As for why terrorists hate us? They have hated us for decades. They started hating us when we deposed Mossadeq in Iran for our own handpicked guy, The Shah in the 1950's, they hate us because we occupy their lands, they hate us because we support Israel, oh heck, they hate us because we smell and our mammas dress us funny.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-18-2008, 02:54 PM
 
5,102 posts, read 5,964,111 times
Reputation: 3116
dpow, you join city data and your first post is in the political forum... ?

Hopefully America learned its lesson from electing incompetent fools like Reagan and W.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-18-2008, 03:24 PM
 
Location: Albemarle, NC
7,730 posts, read 12,690,846 times
Reputation: 1504
Why is it always Hillary/Obama. OP could be a fan of someone who has all the qualifications. Ron Paul. One of two presidential candidates that were willing to sign a pledge to reduce the executive branch powers back to those given by the Constitution. The other was Dennis Kucinich.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-18-2008, 04:47 PM
 
Location: Raleigh, NC
9,043 posts, read 11,571,264 times
Reputation: 1392
Quote:
Originally Posted by paperhouse View Post
Why is it always Hillary/Obama. OP could be a fan of someone who has all the qualifications. Ron Paul. One of two presidential candidates that were willing to sign a pledge to reduce the executive branch powers back to those given by the Constitution. The other was Dennis Kucinich.
"The people don't want freedom, they want security."

That was from the movie Sunshine when the former supreme court judge of the recently defunct Austrian-Hungarian empire commented on how his ex-wife proclaimed the new communist government offered people the illusion of "freedom".

Freedom costs too much for people who just want to be taken care of, either from the boogeyman terrorist or protected by the government against the evil mortgage brokers who put a gun to their head to sign the papers on their overpriced house.

We are on the path of villifying capitalism and installing a command and control style government. Whether it result in a police state or a bolshevist-esque government, flip a coin...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-18-2008, 04:54 PM
 
Location: Albemarle, NC
7,730 posts, read 12,690,846 times
Reputation: 1504
The default position of humanity is freedom. It takes no government. It requires no health care plan. It costs nothing. In a society, we can't have true freedom, but we should strive to have the smallest intrusions on our individual lives as possible. That's why I support Ron Paul and no one else. Leadership isn't even in my top 3 list of qualities I want from a President. Honesty, integrity, intelligence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 02-18-2008, 05:08 PM
 
Location: Raleigh, NC
9,043 posts, read 11,571,264 times
Reputation: 1392
Quote:
Originally Posted by paperhouse View Post
The default position of humanity is freedom. It takes no government. It requires no health care plan. It costs nothing. In a society, we can't have true freedom, but we should strive to have the smallest intrusions on our individual lives as possible. That's why I support Ron Paul and no one else. Leadership isn't even in my top 3 list of qualities I want from a President. Honesty, integrity, intelligence.
I completely agree. I just take the devil's advocate side when dealing with populists on this board. It's isn't kewl to back the unpopular one, just like in high school, ya know?

Unfortunately, we would need a severe recession (which is inevitable and has probably already started despite phony GDP numbers) and be well into it before we begin to demand more (or rather less) from government.

Then again, we let FDR screw up everything with the New Deal and it took the major sacrifices of WW2 to get us out. Since the populist argument favors FDR's failed economic policies during the 30's, I suspect we'd repeat them instead of believing in capitalism and freedom.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:27 PM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top