Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2016, 08:37 AM

11,610 posts, read 10,285,590 times

Advertisements

Pence, until now, never met a trade deal he didn't like, so it's unfathomable why the self-proclaimed straight-shooting Trump would pick as his running mate a candidate with such a track record.

Trump, like John McCain, has messed up badly his VP pick.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...aborative_2_na
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2016, 08:39 AM

11,610 posts, read 10,285,590 times
Default Trump, like McCain, fails the VP pick selection process

Old 07-16-2016, 08:46 AM

3,440 posts, read 2,505,013 times
Don't know much about this guy, only thing I do know is my boss' family lives in IN and they don't like him. Hopefully for Trump he won't be the 2016 version of Palin.

Old 07-16-2016, 09:08 AM

36,754 posts, read 14,710,354 times
Pence: To be succinct...boring.

Old 07-16-2016, 11:06 AM

20,830 posts, read 16,966,580 times
Pence gave a good speech.

Old 07-16-2016, 11:34 AM

1,045 posts, read 2,648,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aquietpath View Post
That's not true. He lowered taxes in the state of Indiana 3 years in a row, and his state now has a surplus of 2 Billion dollars. Low unemployment as well. Sorry he scores low on YOUR approval rating, but I'd bet most Indiana residents will disagree.
Hmm I wonder if there are any liberal states that have a surplus? The concept of having to limit spending and having a surplus is unknown to liberals in general.

I think Pence is a real winner. I would have been happy with Newt but I'm realizing now that Pence is probably a better choice. I'm not a social conservative and I still like Pence a lot for his success overall in Indiana. They aren't going to get many LGBT votes anyway so why try to pander to them? Why try to pander to Hispanics or women either? They've already made up their mind. So might as well try to win over Never Trumpers. I'm glad he didn't try to pander which is what Hillary is best at. I'm still very skeptical of whether he can win overall though. He's got an uphill climb with the electoral college. The map favors Democrats no matter what.

Old 07-16-2016, 11:36 AM

14,204 posts, read 12,208,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
Pence, until now, never met a trade deal he didn't like, so it's unfathomable why the self-proclaimed straight-shooting Trump would pick as his running mate a candidate with such a track record.

Trump, like John McCain, has messed up badly his VP pick.

He doesn't have a lot of choices really. The quality picks likely won't touch him with a 10 foot poll. So he is stuck with flawed choices. Out of them Pence was likely the best option who could do the least damage.

Old 07-16-2016, 11:47 AM

15,047 posts, read 8,815,583 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohhwanderlust View Post
If Trump could no longer serve his term, the VP would become president.

So the VP pick is important.
And Trump has hinted he wants to be more of a "chairman of the board" type president than a hands-on CEO type, so the VP pick is even more important. And no one but fundamentalist evangelicals are going to be happy with a stand-in President Pence.

I wonder if Trump is trying to lose? It sure seems like it with this pick.

Old 07-16-2016, 01:35 PM

24,204 posts, read 19,018,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caldus View Post
Hmm I wonder if there are any liberal states that have a surplus? The concept of having to limit spending and having a surplus is unknown to liberals in general.

I think Pence is a real winner. I would have been happy with Newt but I'm realizing now that Pence is probably a better choice. I'm not a social conservative and I still like Pence a lot for his success overall in Indiana. They aren't going to get many LGBT votes anyway so why try to pander to them? Why try to pander to Hispanics or women either? They've already made up their mind. So might as well try to win over Never Trumpers. I'm glad he didn't try to pander which is what Hillary is best at. I'm still very skeptical of whether he can win overall though. He's got an uphill climb with the electoral college. The map favors Democrats no matter what.
You're joking, right? Red states are the taker states - they get more from the federal government than they pay in taxes. Blue state are the maker states, the ones keeping the economy going.

https://wallethub.com/edu/states-mos...vernment/2700/

Old 07-16-2016, 01:41 PM

391 posts, read 288,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
And Trump has hinted he wants to be more of a "chairman of the board" type president than a hands-on CEO type, so the VP pick is even more important. And no one but fundamentalist evangelicals are going to be happy with a stand-in President Pence.

I wonder if Trump is trying to lose? It sure seems like it with this pick.
For those who wanted a solid conservative, I don't think Trump could have done any better.

Palin came off as, well, dumb. Truth is she was not ready for that stage... she has done well for herself though.

Pence seems like a person with a steady hand, with lots of experience, and a strong conservative background.

You may like like pence for whatever reason, but if you google the guy, it won't be because he is not a real conservative.

I don't know much about him... did see a video of him, and he is well spoken. He defended trump very well. He was a radio host, so that helps him...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections