Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-16-2016, 02:56 PM

13,562 posts, read 10,298,214 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
I think that Pence is a winner for Trump. The Dems were going to savagely attack whomever Trump picked as his VP. But, while extremely smart, Pence is boring and the attacks on him won't have the impact that Dems intend. Meanwhile, Pence will help Trump consolidate support among some GOPers who still haven't quite warmed to his candidacy.
Pence was the least bad choice for Trump as a Veep candidate, compared with Christie, Gingrich and Flynn, who would still agree to serve.

Yes, he'll help with the hard-right GOP base, but he's not going to be someone to broaden his appeal to peel away votes from the Democratic constituent groups. Basically it's doubling-down on your base, but that's not likely to be enough to win in the general.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-16-2016, 02:58 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,232,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
Am curious. Why is a governor who is unpopular in his home state considered a 'winner?'

Mike Pence: What Are His Approval Ratings as Indiana Governor? | Heavy.com
It's customary for both parties to post love fest posts on how wonderful something their candidate did. Usually without even taking the time to look up what they are talking about. I'm sure in 2008 people were doing the same with Sarah Palin. "What a bold fresh choice!"

Old 07-16-2016, 03:31 PM

1,553 posts, read 920,496 times
So lily white Pence is the 'lucky' one who gets to cruise on the Trumptanic, eh.

Don't forget that life jacket, Mike.

You're gunna need it...

CLINTON - KAINE 2016

Old 07-16-2016, 04:59 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,777,739 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by prospectheightsresident View Post
I think that Pence is a winner for Trump. The Dems were going to savagely attack whomever Trump picked as his VP. But, while extremely smart, Pence is boring and the attacks on him won't have the impact that Dems intend. Meanwhile, Pence will help Trump consolidate support among some GOPers who still haven't quite warmed to his candidacy.
How can bringing on Pence as the nominee does that? It actually helps further alienate pro-abortion female (and even male) votes AND the gay vote based on his record both on the hill and as Indiana's governor. Yeah, that's a winner. NEWSFLASH, the Reagan white male vote cannot win today. Romney had a higher percentage of that demographic in 2012 but still lost because it lost its size.
If Only White Men Could Vote. Was it really demographics that decided the election?
Oh and in an interesting comment while researching, I found that in a Forbes editorial, the writer claimed one of the five reasons they thought Romney lost was that he didn't send a positive message. Since when in Trump's campaign is he other than his "Make America Great Again" slogan. So much of his rhetoric is negative if not racebaiting and sexist.
Quote:
IV. Romney Failed Because His Campaign Failed to Deliver Positive Substance

All this could have been overcome if Mitt Romney had waged an aggressive campaign of positive substance the way Ronald Reagan did when he challenged Jimmy Carter in 1980. The Governor had good ideas on tax reform and other issues but most of the time his approach suggested they were almost sideshows. Instead Romney hammered the poor economy but as Reagan could have told him that approach alone will not do the job for a challenger. Romney also badly mishandled the immigration issue. After winning the primaries, Romney should have embraced the sensible immigration reform bill put together by Republican Senator Marco Rubio. He didn’t do so – a big mistake.

On the auto bailout issue, Romney really didn’t find his voice on that until near the end of the campaign – way too late. The approach Romney suggested back in 2008 was an eminently sensible one under the circumstances, and as noted above, would have left GM a far stronger company and would have saved taxpayers at least $30 billion. Concerning the economy, Romney’s over reliance on the issue hurt him as people began to believe that things were getting better albeit very slowly. On this issue he should have hammered home the fact that the economy is headed for recession next year because of Obama’s new taxes and tsunami-like wave of anti-growth regulations.

Unfortunately the most potent GOP issue came up hardly at all – ObamaCare. More than anything else, this issue was the motivation for the impressive Republican showing in 2010. But Romney could only treat it gingerly because of what he had done as Governor in Massachusetts.

Old 07-16-2016, 05:33 PM

5,277 posts, read 2,782,462 times
There was no point in picking Pence.

A. Trump already had the WASP vote locked up.
B. Hog wash this unity business. GOP has Trump like it or lump it. There was zero point in appeasement.

Trump had a real chance to prove he could bring to the table the voters he really needs:

A. He needs women voters
B. Minority voters
C. Fringe voters

Pence is exactly the man to chase them away.

Expect tons of press when Hillary announces a running mate the exact opposite of Pence.

Excellent summary of Nationwide disgust with Pence found at:
The Reviews Are In: Trump's Announcement Of VP Mike Pence Was Insanely Bad

Old 07-16-2016, 05:43 PM

391 posts, read 288,803 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeyJude514 View Post
Trump needed to expand his base with his VP pick. Instead, he chose a rigid far rightwing fundamentalist, someone who is certain to repulse moderates, independents, women and young voters, all demographics he needs to improve his standing with.

He couldn't have possibly made a worse pick (with the notable exception of Palin) if his goal was to actually win this election.
I'm an independent... I don't see this pick as bad. On the issues I care about, I see this guy as very strong. He also makes me less nervous about Trump... although, trump better get his act together...

Sounds almost like you wanted trump to pick an independent or dem.

I guess we will see if he was the right pick in a couple of months.

Old 07-16-2016, 06:18 PM

5,277 posts, read 2,782,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMat View Post
I'm an independent... I don't see this pick as bad. On the issues I care about, I see this guy as very strong. He also makes me less nervous about Trump... although, trump better get his act together...

Sounds almost like you wanted trump to pick an independent or dem.

I guess we will see if he was the right pick in a couple of months.
The point madmat is you were already a Trump fan. You have just one vote already won. All the pick did was make you personally more comfortable, "less nervous".

The pick will make far more people less likely to vote for Trump.

Had Trump picked a strong advocate for women's rights and integration he would have gained voters.

Old 07-16-2016, 06:20 PM

2,491 posts, read 2,669,889 times
A few notes from Trumps press conference introducing Pence.
The podium said "Trump, Make America Great Again" not "Trump/Pence 2016".
As of Friday night there was no mention of Pence on Trump's official website.
Trump spent 28 minutes saying how great he (trump) was before introducing Pence.
Trump basically left the stage for Pence's speech.

Trump simply can not stand not being the center of attention.
And he pouted because Pence is clearly not his first (or second, third etc..) pick.
If Pence was not such a sexist scumball, I would have felt sorry for him.

Old 07-16-2016, 06:52 PM

11,610 posts, read 10,333,650 times
My theory is that Trump picked Pence because Pence's hawkish, pro-trade agreement and social conservative credentials would squelch any possibility of an anti-Trump rebellion at the RNC.

The problem is that on so many issues Pence is the anti-Trump. Trump supporters likely will be disappointed by Trump's apparent hypocrisy.

Old 07-16-2016, 07:06 PM

15,047 posts, read 8,834,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbmaise View Post
The point madmat is you were already a Trump fan. You have just one vote already won. All the pick did was make you personally more comfortable, "less nervous".

The pick will make far more people less likely to vote for Trump.

Had Trump picked a strong advocate for women's rights and integration he would have gained voters.
Exactly. This shored up votes he already had, while virtually assuring he will not pick up any from the demographics he sorely needs--women, minorities, young voters and moderates. Plus, Pence is unpopular in his own state, so he brings nothing to the table there. Basically, he brings nothing to the ticket whatsoever, but he absolutely damages Trump's chance to bring in many voters who are still undecided. And that's where elections are won--and lost.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections