U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
 
Old 07-17-2016, 07:02 AM
 
1,640 posts, read 542,116 times
Reputation: 813

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
Pence is being set up as the excuse Trump will use when he gets crushed in Nov.
Good! He deserves it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-17-2016, 08:37 AM
 
Location: NoVA
832 posts, read 1,178,059 times
Reputation: 1622
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Do you know anyone who gets out of bed on Election Day and goes and stands in line to vote or not vote for the Vice President?

Democrats, hold up your hand if the reason you voted the way you did in 2008 was Biden?

Can you name 3 things in 7 plus years that Obama did because it was Biden's idea?
You have good points.

But we are more cautious of VPs since we realized how much power Cheney had over Bush's war mongering, Palin's refusal to shut up and stop being stupid, and the gaffes made by Biden.

I think in this election, the VP pick is more important than it was for BO because BO had it in the bag already for both elections. We wouldn't have cared who his VP was. The man is loved and there wasn't any stopping him. He could easily win a 3rd term as well. But we also know that BO has undermined international relationships, views and perceived power of the US simply by being black, having Clinton in his cabinet, using the AG as his personal attorney and allowing the IRS to serve in a quasi-law enforcement/investigative role.

Perhaps young people are not aware of the true amount of power held by the President's cabinet.

I feel that based on the limited knowledge of Pence, he does nothing to bring Trump to the center and instead only creates more divide because of his stance on things that are maybe emotionally material to some, but immaterial to the greatness of country as a whole (i.e. same sex marriage and abortion).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-17-2016, 08:40 AM
 
Location: North America
14,210 posts, read 10,082,703 times
Reputation: 5547
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Do you know anyone who gets out of bed on Election Day and goes and stands in line to vote or not vote for the Vice President?

Democrats, hold up your hand if the reason you voted the way you did in 2008 was Biden?

Can you name 3 things in 7 plus years that Obama did because it was Biden's idea?
I agree with you there. The only thing the VP choice could do is hurt the candidate. Such as Palin might of done in 2008. Overall they offer almost no positive or negative.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-17-2016, 09:34 AM
 
Location: Jamestown, NY
7,841 posts, read 7,305,744 times
Reputation: 13779
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTQ3000 View Post
Mr. Trump's camp apparently doesn't realize that the general election pivot is to the middle, not to the other direction. Don't get me wrong, I am sure Mr Trump would like to shore up his support among Republicans. McCain and Romney got 93% of the Republican vote, but Trump was getting about 72% in the polls. While Pence would help increase the 72% figure (I imagine), it would never approach 93% because many Republicans would never support Trump. Thus, the potential upside is extremely limited (<20% of 28%, or 5.6%).

No moderate would change their decision to support Trump because of Pence. Common sense.

So what's the point?

Mick
He had to pick somebody not named Trump.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-17-2016, 11:20 AM
 
Location: Buckeye, AZ
27,182 posts, read 15,710,087 times
Reputation: 9830
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
Pence is being set up as the excuse Trump will use when he gets crushed in Nov.
Trump has done damage to himself, just watch that Hillary ad with Trump's words. We all knew someone would use that at some point against him, even Trump supporters. He has used a lot of vulgar, race-baiting, sexist and decisive language in his campaign and Trump supporters knew this type of ad was coming due to the history of political advertisements whether from Democrats or Republicans. His own children drug him to pick Pence.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-17-2016, 12:28 PM
 
Location: Tampa, FL
27,798 posts, read 26,141,486 times
Reputation: 14611
Pence is establishment, isn't he?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-17-2016, 01:42 PM
 
Location: CT
3,461 posts, read 1,847,989 times
Reputation: 4614
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMat View Post
For those who wanted a solid conservative, I don't think Trump could have done any better.

Palin came off as, well, dumb. Truth is she was not ready for that stage... she has done well for herself though.

Pence seems like a person with a steady hand, with lots of experience, and a strong conservative background.

You may like like pence for whatever reason, but if you google the guy, it won't be because he is not a real conservative.

I don't know much about him... did see a video of him, and he is well spoken. He defended trump very well. He was a radio host, so that helps him...
How do you know that Trump didn't win more devotees because of his moderate views? If people really wanted a strong conservative they would have gone with Cruz. I think Trump needs to go big or go home, Newt brings a lot of baggage with him, but he also has a lot more political capital than Pence, and that's what Trump needs to pull the party to his side.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-17-2016, 01:46 PM
 
391 posts, read 215,293 times
Reputation: 327
Quote:
Originally Posted by pbmaise View Post
The point madmat is you were already a Trump fan. You have just one vote already won. All the pick did was make you personally more comfortable, "less nervous".

The pick will make far more people less likely to vote for Trump.

......

Had Trump picked a strong advocate for women's rights and integration he would have gained voters.
Wish it were that simple. And I could vote hillary in the election... so no, I'm not a "trump fan" as you say. You want that to be true, but it is not. Sorry.

And I happen to think Hillary is an okay leader... when in State Dept she did a fairly good job (no matter how republicans try to spin it). I don't like her strong stance on some issues. I know, how can someone be like me? Real independent... don't have to hate someone to not vote for them. I'm looking at issues that could impact me.

Why? This election is HUGE. The next president could vote in 3 supreme court justices...

That is my focus. Not so much about her vs. trump.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-17-2016, 01:49 PM
 
391 posts, read 215,293 times
Reputation: 327
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowtired14 View Post
How do you know that Trump didn't win more devotees because of his moderate views? If people really wanted a strong conservative they would have gone with Cruz. I think Trump needs to go big or go home, Newt brings a lot of baggage with him, but he also has a lot more political capital than Pence, and that's what Trump needs to pull the party to his side.
Just like I said, if this pick was to put get the base behind him, Trump did that with this pick.

The people who support trump, still have him making the final decisions.... conservatives, will be somewhat happy that someone with Pence's background will be there to give them a voice.

This stuff is really not that difficult... not even sure why it is a question.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-17-2016, 01:52 PM
 
7,185 posts, read 2,744,579 times
Reputation: 3172
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linda_d View Post
He had to pick somebody not named Trump.
and, the only other two who were willing were even worse choices. Obviously, trump didn't have a lot of "the best" folks knocking down the door to join the ticket.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:55 PM.

2005-2019, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35 - Top