U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2016, 11:58 PM

2,966 posts, read 2,217,562 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsjj251 View Post
When debates are on Monday nights, there are games on as well.

Last time around, Barack and Mitt debated while the Bears beat the Lions.

Don't know what the ratings were back then but the first debate this year will be through the roof.

No need to schedule them on Monday.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-30-2016, 12:44 AM

4,594 posts, read 4,718,792 times
Mu guess: Wikileaks, leaks on the day of the first debate.

Old 07-30-2016, 12:47 AM

6,981 posts, read 4,443,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
Honestly, I don't care about the debates excerpt for the fun factor in this one. I don't understand why debates would help someone decide who to vote for.
Its just for the fun factor, most people have made up their minds already.

Old 07-30-2016, 12:57 AM

2,966 posts, read 2,217,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brave Stranger View Post
Mu guess: Wikileaks, leaks on the day of the first debate.

Hopefully he has copies of the speeches HC gave on Wall Street.

Wouldn't that be nice.

Old 07-30-2016, 01:00 AM

9,715 posts, read 13,299,683 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wall st kid View Post
they can, but will they?

if a person is spending 3 hours watching football and 2 hours watching the debate, that's 5 or 6 hours of tv in one day, not many people have the time to spend watching, many have to pick and choose.

personally, i would record the debate and watch the nfl and then stay off the internet while i watch the debate after the game, but, that's me and i have no life lol people with lives can't pull that off.
You could watch the debates a different day.

Old 07-31-2016, 07:43 AM

12,358 posts, read 7,731,022 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lisanicole1
I was half expecting the debate to be at 4 a.m.along with all the infomercials. Guess she did not get her way.
It's crazy to call the election schedule 'rigged' by Hillary or the Democrats. It was set before the primaries, before anyone knew who would win the primary election.

Quote:
"Hillary & the Dems" had no direct role in the planning of the debate schedule. Instead, a nonpartisan commission called the Commission on Presidential Debates which is organized by the Democratic and Republican parties set the schedule in September 2015, well before the primary debates even began.
https://mic.com/articles/150190/is-d...ook#.FCVWRPPys

Quote:
The commission responded to Trump on Saturday afternoon by saying that it "announced the number, dates and sites for the 2016 general election debates in September 2015."
"The CPD did not consult with any political parties or campaigns in making these decisions," the group said.
According to commission officials, sporting events, religious holidays, and other factors cause scheduling headaches every four years. The group seeks to space out the debates and schedule them for different nights of the week.
Donald Trump and RNC attack presidential debate schedule - Jul. 30, 2016

The Election Schedule:
CPD: Commission on Presidential Debates Announces Format for 2016 General Election Debates

Old 07-31-2016, 08:25 AM

9,985 posts, read 6,741,895 times
Cool Trump Campaign announced it will not accept current debate schedule

Paul Manafort told Chuck Todd on Meet the Press
that the Trump Campaign will insist on a change to
the debate schedule which would allow for maximum
viewership.

The current schedule places 2 of the 3 debates on
Sunday and Monday evenings, concurrent with marquee
NFL games.

Manafort said DNC operatives fixed the schedule for
minimum viewership, as they did with the Democratic primary debates.

Replay 2:00 PM EST MSNBC.

Old 07-31-2016, 08:27 AM

22,795 posts, read 16,215,626 times
And, Trump is caught in another lie:

"On Saturday, Trump doubled down on his grievance. In an interview with ABC’s “This Week,” the GOP presidential hopeful said the NFL voiced its dismay about the conflicting primetime slots in a letter to Trump.

“I’ll tell you what I don’t like,” Trump told George Stephanopoulos. “It’s against two NFL games. I got a letter from the NFL saying, “This is ridiculous.'”

Just one problem with that: The NFL says it never sent him a letter. CNN’s Brian Stelter approached the league about the matter and got this response:
Top @NFL spokesman tells me: "While we'd obviously wish the debate commission could find another night, we did not send a letter to Trump."

— Brian Stelter (@brianstelter) July 30, 2016"

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...bate-schedule/

Old 07-31-2016, 08:28 AM

5,426 posts, read 2,306,075 times
Trump is right. The schedule is clearly biased. Guess we can now see if the election commission really is "non-partisan".

Of course, everyone will just say Trump is "whining", rather than consider the legitimate argument he has.

Old 07-31-2016, 08:29 AM

11,992 posts, read 16,724,975 times
He's quaking in his boots. He will fall flat in the debates when it is clear he has no policy points and can't argue his point without saying things that would automatically disqualify him from a middle school debate tournament. Instead, he can rile up his supporters by blaming Clinton even though she did not set the schedule - a nonpartisan committee does. And apparently they think that those who watch football can just Tivo it. Personal responsibility, and all that.

There will be something that conflicts every night. It can't be Wednesday nights - many people have Kiwanis! It can't be Thursday night - that's when Scandal is on!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections