Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2016, 07:13 PM

17,314 posts, read 9,128,742 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by daylux View Post
They made a deal to have establishment Mike Pence as VP. He is everything the NeverTrump movement would want in a candidate.
That's pure nonsense - the Cruz'ers will NEVER accept anyone other than what they consider "THE True Conservative - Preacher Ted Cruz. Let's not forget that Evangelicals all acrmposs the South and Nation voted for Trump - it is the Mormons and Pentecostals that will only accept Cruz ...... AND say they will vote for Hillary Clinton instead of Trump.

The "vote" in the Rules Committee was embarrassing for them - they couldn't get anymore than 12-15 to support their ideas. Texas didn't (and won't) support this Group - they made that clear during the Texas RNC Convention. Even Ted Cruz himself won't dare to support them ...... but Mike Lee of Utah does.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2016, 07:14 PM

13,570 posts, read 10,269,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
Good thing Shillary does a fantastic job of nauseating such a large segment of the general electorate. Sure, some folks will vote for her, but they will feel disgusted with themselves after casting their vote. How couldn't you feel disgusted?

The only reason Dems want to elect her is because they know it will repulse Republicans. In reality, electing Hillary would erode trust in US government, and highlight how truly corrupt the system has become.
I see that you're not letting facts get in the way of your beliefs, and you're doing the old Pee Wee Herman "I know you are but what am I" reply.

Look at the Electoral College. Any Democratic candidate is going to start off with a built in advantage in terms of a base. A GOP candidate has to flip a bunch of swing states in order to win.

And sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but Trump can increase the majority of his base of white men without a college education and still lose. He needs to broaden his base, and his polarizing rhetoric has done precisely the opposite.

So tell me how Trump (or any Republican) is going to flip the states he needs. He hasn't broadened his appeal, and has instead doubled down on a diminishing electoral base.

Now, OTOH, Hillary has done exactly what she needs to do to win - solidify the African American vote, Latino vote, young millennials, etc., as part of the traditional Democratic base. She's made inroads into college-educated white women (which past Democratic candidates have not won).

Old 07-15-2016, 07:25 PM

29,628 posts, read 24,642,255 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by silverkris View Post
I see that you're not letting facts get in the way of your beliefs, and you're doing the old Pee Wee Herman "I know you are but what am I" reply.

Look at the Electoral College. Any Democratic candidate is going to start off with a built in advantage in terms of a base. A GOP candidate has to flip a bunch of swing states in order to win.

And sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but Trump can increase the majority of his base of white men without a college education and still lose. He needs to broaden his base, and his polarizing rhetoric has done precisely the opposite.

So tell me how Trump (or any Republican) is going to flip the states he needs. He hasn't broadened his appeal, and has instead doubled down on a diminishing electoral base.

Now, OTOH, Hillary has done exactly what she needs to do to win - solidify the African American vote, Latino vote, young millennials, etc., as part of the traditional Democratic base. She's made inroads into college-educated white women (which past Democratic candidates have not won).
Only time will tell how right or wrong you are.

Hillary Clinton's actions and conduct speak volumes regarding her charter and class, or lack there of. If this is the best we can do, than we really are in trouble.

Old 07-15-2016, 08:12 PM

13,570 posts, read 10,269,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andywire View Post
Only time will tell how right or wrong you are.

Hillary Clinton's actions and conduct speak volumes regarding her charter and class, or lack there of. If this is the best we can do, than we really are in trouble.
Yep, Hillary actions and conduct do speak volumes - she's got a lot of class despite all the crazy nonsense and baseless accusations from the haters for the last 25 years. Trump isn't qualified to carry her briefcase. He ain't got jack. And he has the impulse control and demeanor of a 12-year old. Yet he's 70 years old. Sad!

Now tell me how Trump's gonna win. What strategy does he have? Besides shooting twitter tweets and insulting people left and right?

Screwing up the convention and his VP announcement isn't a very good indication of his management skills.

Old 07-15-2016, 09:46 PM

37,733 posts, read 40,776,995 times
Can't wait to see Kristol and Romney protesting outside the convention with Black Lives Matter and the Commies. They'll be the ones in three piece suits with the homemade signs.

Old 07-15-2016, 09:56 PM

7,413 posts, read 6,190,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kibby View Post
That's pure nonsense - the Cruz'ers will NEVER accept anyone other than what they consider "THE True Conservative - Preacher Ted Cruz. Let's not forget that Evangelicals all acrmposs the South and Nation voted for Trump - it is the Mormons and Pentecostals that will only accept Cruz ...... AND say they will vote for Hillary Clinton instead of Trump.

The "vote" in the Rules Committee was embarrassing for them - they couldn't get anymore than 12-15 to support their ideas. Texas didn't (and won't) support this Group - they made that clear during the Texas RNC Convention. Even Ted Cruz himself won't dare to support them ...... but Mike Lee of Utah does.
Yeah I might be wrong. I'm watching Pence and he is different than what I thought. Maybe the timing of the meetings was just coincidence.

Old 07-16-2016, 08:27 PM

29,175 posts, read 22,142,986 times
The highest hurdle for the Stop Trump movement was the very first one.

Since Reince Priebus was all in for Trump early on, and he's running the RNC, the rules changes needed to stop Trump were never a sure thing, as the rules committee, with well over 100 members from all 50 states, is the largest one in the convention. Priebus' influence was simply too great to overcome.

Priebus is a pragmatist. If Trump got the greatest single number of delegates, then right or wrong, he's the one who stands the best chance of any as the nominee. He may have other reasons as well.

The Stop Trumpers diddled around far too long, all sticking with their individual hometown heroes, and didn't get themselves collected up until it was too late in the day. By the end, Mike Lee was a very sad and lonely man.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections