Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2016, 07:57 AM

12,638 posts, read 8,952,231 times

Advertisements

Quote:
The U.S. Senate matchups show:
  • Florida - Sen. Marco Rubio over U.S. Rep. Patrick Murphy 50 - 37 percent, and Rubio leading U.S. Rep. Alan Grayson, another possible Democratic challenger 50 - 38 percent;
  • Ohio - Sen. Rob Portman over former Gov. Ted Strickland 47 - 40 percent;
  • Pennsylvania - Sen. Pat Toomey over Democrat Katie McGinty 49 - 39 percent.
"The numbers seem to be breaking the Republican way in the battle for control of the U.S. Senate, at least when it comes to the critical swing states of Florida, Ohio and Pennsylvania," said Peter A. Brown, assistant director of the Quinnipiac University Poll.

"Democrats made fun of Sen. Marco Rubio when he opted for a last-minute re-election bid in Florida, but he may be on the way to a last laugh, having quickly opened double digit leads over both Democratic challengers.

Link: 2016 Presidential Swing State Polls Poll - July 14, 2016 - GOP Senators Sweep Florida, Oh | Quinnipiac University Connecticut

Great news! IF Hillary wins, it is crucial to keep both the Senate and the House in Republican hands to provide oversight to what will undoubtedly be the most corrupt and crooked administration since Obama.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2016, 08:02 AM

13,684 posts, read 9,006,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveToRow View Post
Link: 2016 Presidential Swing State Polls Poll - July 14, 2016 - GOP Senators Sweep Florida, Oh | Quinnipiac University Connecticut

Great news! IF Hillary wins, it is crucial to keep both the Senate and the House in Republican hands to provide oversight to what will undoubtedly be the most corrupt and crooked administration since Obama.
I am not surprised at Senator Rubio's numbers. I thought he did pretty well during the campaign, and with some more maturity (and actually tending to Senate business on a sustainable basis, one of his faults) he may well be a formidable presidential candidate in 2020.

Old 07-15-2016, 08:06 AM

12,270 posts, read 11,327,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by legalsea View Post
I am not surprised at Senator Rubio's numbers. I thought he did pretty well during the campaign, and with some more maturity (and actually tending to Senate business on a sustainable basis, one of his faults) he may well be a formidable presidential candidate in 2020.
I think so too. He wilted a bit under the intense pressure of the last couple weeks of his campaign, but he's only 45. I suspect he'll be back smarter and tougher than ever.

Old 07-15-2016, 08:08 AM

39,077 posts, read 51,218,516 times
Quote:

Nevermind.

Quote:
In Florida's competitive Senate contest, incumbent Republican Sen. Marco Rubio, who changed his mind and decided to run for re-election, leads likely Democratic challenger Patrick Murphy by just three points among registered voters, 47 percent to 44 percent.
Clinton Leads Trump in Diverse Battleground States in New Polls - NBC News

I don't want to get into knocking polls just yet, but that Q poll has bad sample written all over it.

Old 07-15-2016, 08:24 AM

20,160 posts, read 12,756,236 times
I thought Rubio is not well liked in Florida according to CD.

Old 07-15-2016, 08:29 AM

4,120 posts, read 6,607,512 times
Quote:

The Quinnipiac methodology was done to at least a +5 republican advantage. They overpolled republicans and independents by quite a bit to get those results.

Today there were more polls released on the senate races.

Right now the democrats are going to win several seats, Illinois and Wisconsin for sure. Nevada is the only seat they have to defend.

Tossups
Indiana, Ohio, Pennsylvania, New Hampshire, and Nevada are all toss ups right now with the polls going both ways.

Lean republican
Florida, North Carolina, Arizona, Missouri, Iowa

- All of these seats have a good chance at flipping to the democrats or staying republican. The good news for democrats is Clinton's ground game is established and will help the democrats in all of those states, the bad news for republicans is Trump hasn't even set up offices in major cities.

Old 07-15-2016, 08:40 AM

12,638 posts, read 8,952,231 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bellhead View Post
The Quinnipiac methodology was done to at least a +5 republican advantage. They overpolled republicans and independents by quite a bit to get those results.

Today there were more polls released on the senate races.

Right now the democrats are going to win several seats, Illinois and Wisconsin for sure. Nevada is the only seat they have to defend.

Tossups
Indiana, Ohio, Pennsylvania, New Hampshire, and Nevada are all toss ups right now with the polls going both ways.

Lean republican
Florida, North Carolina, Arizona, Missouri, Iowa

- All of these seats have a good chance at flipping to the democrats or staying republican. The good news for democrats is Clinton's ground game is established and will help the democrats in all of those states, the bad news for republicans is Trump hasn't even set up offices in major cities.
The Democrats haven't won a statewide election in Wisconsin in a long time. David Prosser won the Supreme Court race, Walker won twice plus the recall. Johnson won the Senate seat 6 years ago.

The Wisconsin GOP has a great ground game, and Ron Johnson isn't the type of polarizing candidate that is going to drive people to the polls to vote him out of office.

I don't care much about Illinois because it's a useless state and Mark Kirk is basically a useless liberal who calls himself a Republican.

Old 07-15-2016, 08:48 AM

17,341 posts, read 11,274,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewbieHere View Post
I thought Rubio is not well liked in Florida according to CD.
Rubio is now ahead in Florida by over 7 percent. Any chance of Dems taking that seat is virtually gone.

Old 07-15-2016, 08:53 AM

Quote:
The Democrats haven't won a statewide election in Wisconsin in a long time. David Prosser won the Supreme Court race, Walker won twice plus the recall. Johnson won the Senate seat 6 years ago.

The Wisconsin GOP has a great ground game, and Ron Johnson isn't the type of polarizing candidate that is going to drive people to the polls to vote him out of office.

I don't care much about Illinois because it's a useless state and Mark Kirk is basically a useless liberal who calls himself a Republican.
Johnson hasn't been up in a poll since Feingold launched his campaign. The latest Marquette Poll has Feingold up by 5 points, and they usually lean republican by 2 points.

Old 07-15-2016, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
Nevermind.

Clinton Leads Trump in Diverse Battleground States in New Polls - NBC News

I don't want to get into knocking polls just yet, but that Q poll has bad sample written all over it.
I looked at the Q poll and it's horrible, The poll was on registered voters and they overpolled republicans by about 4 points and overpolled independents by several points also while underpolling democrats.

The GOP ground game isn't going to get destroyed by the democrats unless Trump gets it in gear.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections