U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-15-2016, 08:11 PM

5,559 posts, read 3,660,266 times

Advertisements

Cornel West, a former Bernie supporter and the DNC platform committee has this to say during his endorsement of Green Party's Jill Stein:

"This November, we need change. Yet we are tied in a choice between Trump, who would be a neo-fascist catastrophe, and Clinton, a neo-liberal disaster. That's why I am supporting Jill Stein. I am with her -- the only progressive woman in the race -- because we've got to get beyond this lock-jaw situation,"

"I have a deep love for my brother Bernie Sanders, but I disagree with him on Hillary Clinton," he wrote. "Her militarism makes the world a less safe place. Clinton policies of the 1990s generated inequality, mass incarceration, privatization of schools and Wall Street domination."

Cornel West endorses Green Party candidate Jill Stein - CNNPolitics.com

Hopefully Jill Stein gets to debate.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-15-2016, 11:47 PM

7,041 posts, read 4,039,948 times
Bernie left her out to dry.

I like Stein, but as Independent voters heading our bets, this year is about Johnson/Weld. Any other year I'd go with Stein, but the Libertarians put up a legitimate ticket with two former Governors. I lived through a Johnson admin, I like him personally. He was honest and truly cared about New Mexico.

Old 07-15-2016, 11:51 PM

12,703 posts, read 4,589,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
Bernie left her out to dry.

I like Stein, but as Independent voters heading our bets, this year is about Johnson/Weld. Any other year I'd go with Stein, but the Libertarians put up a legitimate ticket with two former Governors. I lived through a Johnson admin, I like him personally. He was honest and truly cared about New Mexico.
Bernie has always said he would support the Democratic nominee and believes taking over the Democratic Party is a better way for progress for the working class than running third party.

Johnson and Weld want to eliminate social security and force disabled people to rely on churches and volunteer efforts. This is deeply disturbing.

Old 07-15-2016, 11:52 PM

7,041 posts, read 4,039,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
Bernie has always said he would support the Democratic nominee and believes taking over the Democratic Party is a better way for progress for the working class than running third party.

Johnson and Weld want to eliminate social security and force disabled people to rely on churches and volunteer efforts. This is deeply disturbing.
They won't win, but they have a legitimate shot at getting in a debate and securing finding. It's a step to defeat this duopoly.

I feel ya on Bernie, I liked him. But this endorsement was poor form.

As for Johnson, his governor record suggests he's a liberal republican. Was pro environmental protections for example.

Old 07-16-2016, 06:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JGMotorsport64 View Post
They won't win, but they have a legitimate shot at getting in a debate and securing finding. It's a step to defeat this duopoly.

I feel ya on Bernie, I liked him. But this endorsement was poor form.

As for Johnson, his governor record suggests he's a liberal republican. Was pro environmental protections for example.
You make fair points on all counts. The 5% is very important. I'll be voting for ein because I believe the Libertarians will do well and I'd like to see the Greens do equally well. I'm half way between the Libertarians and Greens in terms of policies.

As for Sanders, he capitulated before the convention for his own benefit not his supporters, and he is definitely not so naive to believe such a thoroughly polluted Party such as the Democratic Party can ever be cleaned up from within. It is an appendage of Wall Street.

Last edited by richrf; 07-16-2016 at 07:16 AM..

Old 07-16-2016, 07:11 AM

77,842 posts, read 33,217,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by richrf View Post
You make fair points on all counts. The 5% is very importantI'd I'll be voting for nStein because I believe the Libertarians will do well and I'd like to see the Greens do equally well. I'm half way between the Libertarians and Greens in terms of policies.

As for Sanders, he capitulated before the convention for his own benefit not his supporters, and he is definitely not so naive to believe such a thoroughly polluted Party such as the Democratic Party can ever be cleaned up from within. It is an appendage of Wall Street.

The (D)'s told Bernie that unless he endorsed Hillary he wasn't going to get a prime speaking spot. The sad part is no one cares any longer what he has to say.

Giving up your principles for a prime spot in a dog and pony show does not indicate to anyone that you are capable of bringing about change.

It's all pretty disappointing.

Old 07-16-2016, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
The (D)'s told Bernie that unless he endorsed Hillary he wasn't going to get a prime speaking spot. The sad part is no one cares any longer what he has to say.

Giving up your principles for a prime spot in a dog and pony show does not indicate to anyone that you are capable of bringing about change.

It's all pretty disappointing.
Exactly. What the Party Apparatchiks were saying is that you maximize your personal benefits by endorsing now. $trillions are at stake and it's tough upending an Establishment that has so thoroughly taken over the money and printing press. Unfortunately it may take an economic catastrophe such as the Great Depression for a majority to finally day enough. We are on the precipice as world events indicate.

Last edited by richrf; 07-16-2016 at 07:34 AM..

Old 07-16-2016, 07:31 AM

9,985 posts, read 6,731,942 times
I can respect Cornel West for this choice, but don't agree with his
descriptive language.

What happens with intellectuals often is that they feel the need to
"dumb-down" what they really think so that average people can
understand. This creates misapplications of phrases.

The term "neo-fascism" does not apply to either Trump or Hillary.
Hillary is a complete globalist. When she joins corporations and
governments, its on the global, supra-national level.

Trump is a nationalist who opposes overarching globalist entities,
but he's not a fascist. Mussolini and Hitler were fascists.
China is fascist. Venezuela is fascist. It is false to describe fascism
as from the "right", not from the "left".

Anyway, there are definitely more solutions with Stein than with Hillary.

We need forward-thinking, and need to grow as a civilization in a sustainable way
that is open to new developments and is positive and builds real freedom,
not the phony rat race capitalistic slavery that mispresents itself as freedom.

Still, at this juncture, I support Trump because I want a cohesive, safe, and
intentional country called America to exist again.

Old 07-16-2016, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowball7 View Post
I can respect Cornel West for this choice, but don't agree with his
descriptive language.

What happens with intellectuals often is that they feel the need to
"dumb-down" what they really think so that average people can
understand. This creates misapplications of phrases.

The term "neo-fascism" does not apply to either Trump or Hillary.
Hillary is a complete globalist. When she joins corporations and
governments, its on the global, supra-national level.

Trump is a nationalist who opposes overarching globalist entities,
but he's not a fascist. Mussolini and Hitler were fascists.
China is fascist. Venezuela is fascist. It is false to describe fascism
as from the "right", not from the "left".

Anyway, there are definitely more solutions with Stein than with Hillary.

We need forward-thinking, and need to grow as a civilization in a sustainable way
that is open to new developments and is positive and builds real freedom,
not the phony rat race capitalistic slavery that mispresents itself as freedom.

Still, at this juncture, I support Trump because I want a cohesive, safe, and
intentional country called America to exist again.
Fair enough.

Old 07-16-2016, 07:42 AM

29,664 posts, read 16,450,800 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by richrf View Post
Cornel West, a former Bernie supporter and the DNC platform committee has this to say during his endorsement of Green Party's Jill Stein:

"This November, we need change. Yet we are tied in a choice between Trump, who would be a neo-fascist catastrophe, and Clinton, a neo-liberal disaster. That's why I am supporting Jill Stein. I am with her -- the only progressive woman in the race -- because we've got to get beyond this lock-jaw situation,"

"I have a deep love for my brother Bernie Sanders, but I disagree with him on Hillary Clinton," he wrote. "Her militarism makes the world a less safe place. Clinton policies of the 1990s generated inequality, mass incarceration, privatization of schools and Wall Street domination."

Cornel West endorses Green Party candidate Jill Stein - CNNPolitics.com

Hopefully Jill Stein gets to debate.
Unfortunately, we have no idea how Stein would actually govern because she never actually HAS. And, no, being a medical doctor doesn't make her any more prepared than Ben Carson.

Why does she only crop up every four years?

Why isn't she running for city council? Mayor? Local school board? Governor (ok she did and lost); Congress? Anything? Why aren't members of the Green party doing the same?

I would support her and her party IF she were willing to start and the bottom and work their way up. But simply running for President every four years is just a great way to massage her ego. Nothing more. She has no intention of being President.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections