Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2016, 05:30 PM

2,201 posts, read 1,874,865 times

Advertisements

I use to really like Paul Ryan before he fumbled his way as an eliteous wacko . His arrogance in accepting acceptinge a fool out of him and an odd ball often found in Wisconsin......I blame the water and heavy metals.

Old 07-20-2016, 07:47 PM

7,687 posts, read 5,117,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
"Globalism" is what happens in the absence of any political interference; when the politicians (of any stripe) try to tamper with the markets, safety valves get tied down. The "problem" doesn't go away; it just gets dumped on someone else; usually, that someone has less political clout.

Our current stagnation is due to the fact that we're still losing the artificial dominance we've held since the end of World War II. That, and the fact that our lean, mean Third World competition doesn't have to answer to trial lawyers, public-sector labor unions, and all the other special interest groups with too much power. But I can guarantee you that that particular "privileged few" has no interest in a level playing field.

"A rising tide lifts all boats" -- but it's hard to recognize this when you're already near the top of the heap. And the only alternative is "protective" tariffs which, while I don't think will automatically lead us to a wartime stance, aren't a step in the right direction. NO ONE (Ryan, Walker, Clinton, Trump, Johnson or anybody else) can resurrect a bygone era.
We can get back to the basics. Deport illegals and "refugees". No more asylum seekers or any immigration for a decade. Bring manufacturing back. Let the natural gas coal and steel industries thrive again.

Make apple make phones here etc.

It can be done. The question is do the filthy rich want to profit 4 billion instead of 6 billion.

And do the globalists want a strong intelligent armed middle class? We already know that answer

Old 07-20-2016, 07:57 PM

26,979 posts, read 15,879,874 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nd trick op View Post
"Globalism" is what happens in the absence of any political interference; when the politicians (of any stripe) try to tamper with the markets, safety valves get tied down. The "problem" doesn't go away; it just gets dumped on someone else; usually, that someone has less political clout.

Our current stagnation is due to the fact that we're still losing the artificial dominance we've held since the end of World War II. That, and the fact that our lean, mean Third World competition doesn't have to answer to trial lawyers, public-sector labor unions, and all the other special interest groups with too much power. But I can guarantee you that that particular "privileged few" has no interest in a level playing field.

"A rising tide lifts all boats" -- but it's hard to recognize this when you're already near the top of the heap. And the only alternative is "protective" tariffs which, while I don't think will automatically lead us to a wartime stance, aren't a step in the right direction. NO ONE (Ryan, Walker, Clinton, Trump, Johnson or anybody else) can resurrect a bygone era.
Agree 100%. Except, let me add high protective tariffs would lead to a great recession, and quite possibly a return to stagflation. Cannot afford stagflation with our current national debt.

Old 07-20-2016, 08:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by westcoastforme View Post
We can get back to the basics. Deport illegals and "refugees". No more asylum seekers or any immigration for a decade. Bring manufacturing back. Let the natural gas coal and steel industries thrive again.

It can be done. The question is do the filthy rich want to profit 4 billion instead of 6 billion.

And do the globalists want a strong intelligent armed middle class? We already know that answer
I am a free trader but recognize as the late great Milton Friedman did that you cannot have open borders and a welfare state.

Old 07-20-2016, 08:45 PM

8,275 posts, read 7,941,970 times
Free trade only works when the other traders play by the rules.

Old 07-20-2016, 09:44 PM

7,687 posts, read 5,117,954 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whogo View Post
I am a free trader but recognize as the late great Milton Friedman did that you cannot have open borders and a welfare state.
Yes.

Free trade is fine but fair and equal trade.

Open borders and the welfare state has led to the chaos we have now

Old 07-20-2016, 09:46 PM

7,588 posts, read 6,623,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
That is about as conservative as it gets in Wisconsin. Isn't that where Progressive politics began?
You and I often disagree, but you have a good knowledge of history. Hell, not even many people in Wisconsin know that. It's probably an overstatement to say that was the birthplace of progressivism, but it was one of them. It's gotten a lot redder over the last generation, though.

Old 07-21-2016, 02:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by War Beagle View Post
Free trade only works when the other traders play by the rules.
False, if other countries want to dump goods on us the benefit to the consumer outweighs any loss to the laborer.

Old 07-21-2016, 02:12 AM

Quote:
Yes.

Free trade is fine but fair and equal trade.

Open borders and the welfare state has led to the chaos we have now
What do you mean by fair and equal trade?

You can't have open borders if you are a welfare state nor can you if you decide to be the world's policeman.

Old 07-21-2016, 04:09 AM

2,348 posts, read 1,902,751 times
Quote:

What's to stop the filthy rich from just charging consumers more money and maintaining their profits? This is also why I don't understand the $15 minimum wage. You don't think fast food restaurants will just charge more? Unless you're dictating how much companies can charge, I don't see how it works.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections