U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-18-2008, 09:58 PM

413 posts, read 833,721 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elmonellie View Post
My point is that he used anothers words!
Please respond to my post, then.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-18-2008, 10:07 PM

9,715 posts, read 13,292,752 times
What Obama Means<br> By Unity

Quote:
As the voiceover in one of his ads explains, "Only Barack Obama can bring a fractured people together. .  .  . He embodies the hope of our nation."
http://www.culturewars.org.uk/2007-05/orange.pdf
Half of a Yellow Sun

Quote:
Their reunification is finally brought about only in part by love; Adichie suggests that communicating shared experience or heritage can also be crucial in bringing a fractured people together, and in rebuilding a broken nation
??? These aren't exactly the same but it's something to think about... The second one was a fiction winner in 2007

I wonder if there is more of this kind of thing?

Old 02-18-2008, 10:08 PM
j33

4,625 posts, read 12,849,827 times
If this isn't a 'tempest in a teapot' then I don't know what is.

... oh my, I think someone might have used that idiom once before me. I'm a plagiarist now.

I'm sure that all candidates have used the words of others in their speeches, lets face it, they are making loads of speeches on very little sleep, it happens. I'm sure that Hillary and McCain have done and will do the same thing before it is all over, and frankly my dear, I don't give a damn.

and oh my again, I believe someone said that before too.

Old 02-18-2008, 10:08 PM

2,134 posts, read 3,475,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burnt View Post
1. Learn to spell.
2. Let's say you were to dig up a transcript of the speeches Patrick and Obama each gave. How close would you say they are? Close enough to stand up in court?
3. Okay, for the sake of argument, let's say Obama plagiarized wrongfully. How do you feel about Hillary's plagiarism--that is, using a ghostwriter for "her" book It Takes A Village? Furthermore, did you read anywhere in Hillary's book that she cited/credited the phrase "it takes a village" to the African proverb whence it came?
Plagiarist. Got it. Thank you.

I don't care about Ms. Clinton.

Mr. Obama plagiarized.

Old 02-18-2008, 10:11 PM

9,715 posts, read 13,292,752 times
Alec Baldwin is a gifted speaker too. He does a lot of voiceover work for National Geographic. That doesn't mean I would vote for him if he ran for office.

If Obama is stealing a lot of words/ideas from others, I think the public has a right to know.

Old 02-18-2008, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Plagiarist. Got it. Thank you.

I don't care about Ms. Clinton.

Mr. Obama plagiarized.
Okay, then how about point #2: how closely do the words compare, and do you not think that Patrick was involved in the speechwriting?

Old 02-18-2008, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post
Alec Baldwin is a gifted speaker too. He does a lot of voiceover work for National Geographic. That doesn't mean I would vote for him if he ran for office.

If Obama is stealing a lot of words/ideas from others, I think the public has a right to know.
That was kind of my point. He may or may not deserve one's vote, but there is no denying his quality as a speaker.

Old 02-18-2008, 10:19 PM

2,003 posts, read 4,385,922 times
Smile bad thread

These threads are so bad. They really shine a bad light on my daily serving of hope and change

Old 02-18-2008, 10:20 PM

2,134 posts, read 3,475,046 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post

Yes, I hear ya. I like Alec Baldwins voice very much.

I want to know if Obama is is stealing words/ideas. If he has original ones, I am waiting to hear with an open heart.

Old 02-18-2008, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Yes, I hear ya. I like Alec Baldwins voice very much.

I want to know if Obama is is stealing words/ideas. If he has original ones, I am waiting to hear with an open heart.
Look up his ideas on his website. They're very clearly posted.

I happened to mention to my mother (who voted for Bush in 2004, of all people ) that I will probably end up voting for Obama, and she said that it seems to her that Obama's all style and no substance. I then quizzed her on his platform, and like everyone else who has made that accusation she has never tried to find out what his platform issues are, and where he stands on them. For example, she had never heard of this new idea he's proposed for a national infrastructure bank, and I'll bet most people on here haven't either.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or