Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-24-2016, 07:38 PM

5,559 posts, read 4,626,761 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxStorm72 View Post
I know that the first Presidential debate is slated for September 26th @ Hofstra University.

What I don't know is: When is the cut off date for Gary Johnson to reach 15% in the polls in order to qualify to participate in the debates? How exactly does that work?
It's fluid and pretty subjective. If the networks think he will add rating points they'll include him. Otherwise it's five major polls right around the debate which at this point is a pretty high bar. Still any third-parties that get 5% of the vote will be v entitled to federal funding next cycle and donations up to $250 will be matched this cycle. The only way to break out of this vicious spirsl is to vote third-party and begin to shift the leverage of power over to third-party elected officials. That's v why I'm voting for Jill Stein and other Green and Libertarian candidates down ticket.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2016, 07:58 PM

7,643 posts, read 6,471,209 times
Gary Johnson

I'm just wondering his views on passenger rail and mass transit.

Also, will he be smoking weed in the oval office?

Old 07-24-2016, 08:06 PM

7,702 posts, read 5,445,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadgates View Post
Pretty sad that a guy can't make a thread asking for 3rd party supporters to converge and discuss without a Hillary shill hijacking the thread with the very first reply.
Al threads are fair game for everyone to participate. I am a supporter for the Democratic nominee, and that is quite different from being a shill. The Democratic platform is much closer to my own convictions. I will vote for Hillary Clinton.

This is not the election to try to support third party candidates for PRESIDENT. It's stupid. It will not work to help 3rd parties move forward. The only one it will help is Trump. Surely you understand this.

In general, Greens and Independents both prefer Clinton to Trump.

Ralph Nader ran as a Green Party candidate in 2000—keep in mind that is 16 years ago—and he got less than 3% of the vote, but it was enough to throw a monkey wrench into the election and what happened? Republican George Bush (with the help of his brother and the Supreme Court) was elected.

3rd party candidates help Republican Presidential candidates win, period. That's why a lot of people pretending to be for the Green Party or Libertarian party are actually Republicans and/or Trump supporters. (Not everyone, but yes, there are a bunch of fake Greens and fake Libertarian pretenders).

If one genuinely wants to advance the cause of the Green Party or Libertarians, vote for them "down ticket", for local, regional and statewide elections. That's fine.

But if you care about this country, you will do the same thing as independent Bernie Sanders (who ran not as as an Independent but as a Democrat) and support the same person he has endorsed for President, and that is Hillary Clinton.

Air-kissing Donald Trump, perched on his golden throne chair, with his serial marriages, and his inability to stay married through thick and thin, in good times and bad, will do what is best for himself, period.

Last edited by SFBayBoomer; 07-24-2016 at 09:28 PM..

Old 07-24-2016, 08:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
This is not the election to try to support third party candidates for PRESIDENT. It's stupid. It will not work to help 3rd parties move forward. The only one it will help is Trump. Surely you understand this.

Ralph Nader ran as a Green Party candidate in 2000—keep in mind that is 16 years ago—and he got less than 3% of the vote, but it was enough to throw a monkey wrench into the election and what happened? Republican George Bush (with the help of his brother and the Supreme Court) was elected.

3rd party candidates help Republican Presidential candidates win, period. That's why a lot of people pretending to be for the Green Party or Libertarian party are actually Republicans and/or Trump supporters. (Not everyone, but yes, there are a bunch of fake Greens and fake Libertarian pretenders).

If one genuinely wants to advance the cause of the Green Party or Libertarians, vote for them "down ticket", for local, regional and statewide elections. That's fine.

But if you care about this country, you will do the same thing as independent Bernie Sanders (who ran not as as an Independent but as a Democrat) and support the same person he has endorsed for President, and that is Hillary Clinton.

Air-kissing Donald Trump, perched on his golden throne chair, with his serial marriages, and his inability to stay married through thick and thin, in good times and bad, will do what is best for himself, period.
Not everyone wants to vote for corrupt politicians. I'm fact 25% of under 35 will vote third party in New Hampshire. I love young people.

Old 07-24-2016, 08:35 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,877,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poopskooper View Post
Me too.

If voting for a third party candidate was viable this cycle, sure, I'd consider it. For me, stopping Trump is most important and I'll do my small part by holding my nose and voting for Hillary. A vote for Johnson or Stein would be essentially a vote for Trump. Bernie has made that point too.
~amanda
Exactly. Johnson isn't polling good enough, even in New Mexico for me to vote. Like others i see the game theory in voting. Voting third party while voting your conscious feels good, it really don't do much. Maybe at best it gets federal funding but why support a candidate you don't align with just to stick it to the machine? I kind of align with Stein but I more align with Hillary. I don't see ways Stein can support job creation. Hillary and Trump is typical Democrat/Republican trends and Johnson is free market so we know their stances. What is Stein's. Jobs are a problem in this economy and will continue to be. Criminal justice is too, what is her stance. Trump is a Nixonian police state supporter, Hillary is status quo and Johnson is for decriminalization. I mean towards decriminalization but don't align with the private sector so Johnson is out and I can't vote Trump because he is a flip-flopper, a liar, a cheat and a bigot. Hillary I may not like but she is the most stable candidate. I still think that we'll have a one-term president but I rather not leave the nation in some Mad Max wasteland like it very well could be under Trump.

Old 07-24-2016, 08:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkpunk View Post
Exactly. Johnson isn't polling good enough, even in New Mexico for me to vote. Like others i see the game theory in voting. Voting third party while voting your conscious feels good, it really don't do much. Maybe at best it gets federal funding but why support a candidate you don't align with just to stick it to the machine? I kind of align with Stein but I more align with Hillary. I don't see ways Stein can support job creation. Hillary and Trump is typical Democrat/Republican trends and Johnson is free market so we know their stances. What is Stein's. Jobs are a problem in this economy and will continue to be. Criminal justice is too, what is her stance. Trump is a Nixonian police state supporter, Hillary is status quo and Johnson is for decriminalization. I mean towards decriminalization but don't align with the private sector so Johnson is out and I can't vote Trump because he is a flip-flopper, a liar, a cheat and a bigot. Hillary I may not like but she is the most stable candidate. I still think that we'll have a one-term president but I rather not leave the nation in some Mad Max wasteland like it very well could be under Trump.
Bottom line, you want to vote for a corrupt candidate. OK. It's just not for everyone.

Old 07-24-2016, 09:15 PM

7,702 posts, read 5,445,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by richrf View Post
Not everyone wants to vote for corrupt politicians. I'm fact 25% of under 35 will vote third party in New Hampshire. I love young people.
Are you aware that New Hampshire has an even older population than....Florida? The median age in New Hampshire is 41.1

New Hampshire’s legislators, who are the oldest in the country, have an average age of 66, according to Pew Research, followed by Idaho at age 63.

The average age of the U.S. voting population, meanwhile, is 47.

It's people like yourself, with your adoration of "young people" that cause such a rift between generations such as I have never experienced before 2015.

Old 07-24-2016, 09:26 PM

38,936 posts, read 23,877,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by richrf View Post
Bottom line, you want to vote for a corrupt candidate. OK. It's just not for everyone.
Me having to vote Clinton isn't voting for corruption, stop it with that straw man.

Old 07-24-2016, 09:38 PM

12,772 posts, read 7,972,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SFBayBoomer View Post
Al threads are fair game for everyone to participate. I am a supporter for the Democratic nominee, and that is quite different from being a shill. The Democratic platform is much closer to my own convictions. I will vote for Hillary Clinton.

Its never stupid to vote for the candidate you align with the most. Whats stupid is ignorant folks prancing around like know it alls trying to tell others who to vote for.

Old 07-24-2016, 10:09 PM

2,098 posts, read 3,458,281 times
If the Democrats can't win this election because they annointed a %^*! candidate to go against an equally %^*! show of a candidate it's their own stupid fault. I'm not losing any sleep because some sheep tells me my Stein vote equals a vote for Trump- they are not much different. When you tell them how they are similar, they just look at you and you can see the Mac spinning wheel of death in their eyes- they just don't get it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections