Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2016, 10:52 AM

15,631 posts, read 10,386,562 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
So you believe that Trump will make America safer by building a wall and deporting 11 million illegal immigrants? (Not being snarky or sarcastic. Just trying to be clear about what you're saying.)
You are changing the subject.

You asked in the OP what Trump will do. He has said repeatedly and clearly he will close the border. He has said repeatedly he will eliminate sanctuary cities.

The crime statistics from just one border state speak for themselves regarding how Trump's policy will impact public safety and crime.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2016, 10:52 AM

16,236 posts, read 5,878,006 times
Quote:
Those numbers sound more realistic.

So you believe that Trump will make America safer by building a wall and deporting 11 million illegal immigrants? (Not being snarky or sarcastic. Just trying to be clear about what you're saying.)
No need to deport. Simply start cracking down, make life impossible and they will self deport. WE have seen this happen in cities that cracked down.
I would also advocate a law that requires the government to seize any assets of the illegal to help offset the cost of their deportation.
I also advocate penalties for employers of illegals that compound based on the number of illegals employed as well as prison time for said employers for repeat offenses. I include the homeowners who troll home depot parking lots looking for illegal for cheap labor.

Old 07-22-2016, 11:02 AM

4,876 posts, read 4,203,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sware2cod View Post
Obama already did this. It was part of the stimulus package.

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/03/07/us...ates.html?_r=0

Which is why I'm leery of the "one time grant thing".

The stimulus didn't do what it was intended to do and it was pushed through so quickly that it missed opportunities to make it more impactful.

As an example, a city I know of hired more teachers with the stimulus funding. Knowing that it was a ONE TIME deal. Next year? They had to fire a bunch of people to keep those teachers on the payroll because of the union deals.

Admittedly, it was stupid for that Board of Education to do that, but that's the kind of thing that happens with "free money" that is not really spent wisely. It *could* have been a much better program.

Ultimately, I would be much more supportive of a continuous funding source.

Old 07-22-2016, 11:19 AM

20,458 posts, read 12,378,099 times
Quote:
I have never said that America is under siege from people with guns.

Do you have any response to the question I asked?
I answered you. the left has made that assertion.

I don't know what you have made. none the less, we see daily attempt to take guns away from honest Americans because we are all dying from guns from honest Americans. you cannot be on that side of the argument and make the claim that America is safe. period.

I don't care what you have not personally said.

Beyond that I have directly addressed other aspects of Make America Safe, where Trump is by far the better candidate, and will in fact address crime in America.

Old 07-22-2016, 11:24 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,705,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texan2yankee View Post
You are changing the subject.

You asked in the OP what Trump will do. He has said repeatedly and clearly he will close the border. He has said repeatedly he will eliminate sanctuary cities.

The crime statistics from just one border state speak for themselves regarding how Trump's policy will impact public safety and crime.
I'm not trying to change the subject.

I'm trying to clarify what actions Trump would take as president to make America safer.

"Closing the border" is a concept, but it's not very concrete. I'm trying to figure out how he plans to do it--what measures he would, or could take.

Eliminating sanctuary cities raises questions about federalism, but it is a concrete notion. Would that be done by statute?

Old 07-22-2016, 11:26 AM

20,458 posts, read 12,378,099 times
Quote:
Do you have a link for that? That's 1,643 per day, which sounds very high.

Are the crimes you're talking about the act of crossing the border? I'm talking about violent crime.
was working from memory. those are 2008 to 2014 number

Texas Yankee provided additional information from TDPS which shows over 500k from 2011 to 2016

which is very close to the same rate. just shy of 100k per year in Texas alone by illegals.

Old 07-22-2016, 11:27 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,870,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
You don't get to make the argument that America is safe, while at the same time making the arugment that America is undresege from people with guns....

Who is doing that?

Old 07-22-2016, 11:29 AM

16,579 posts, read 20,705,006 times
Quote:
was working from memory. those are 2008 to 2014 number

Texas Yankee provided additional information from TDPS which shows over 500k from 2011 to 2016

which is very close to the same rate. just shy of 100k per year in Texas alone by illegals.
And I acknowledged those numbers. Thanks.

Old 07-22-2016, 11:30 AM

11,222 posts, read 8,299,871 times
Quote:

He did not give any specifics other than hiring more federal prosecutors. How will that affect the level of violent crime, most of which occurs in state jurisdictions?
sounds like he's prepping for MORE crime, not less.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lunetunelover View Post
Police departments across the country could use additional funding (to hire more cops, for training, etc.) Trump could propose an increase in their federal subsidies.
Like Obama has done? He's issued grants under the 2009 recovery bill. Unprecidented spending on bolstering our cops with equipment, training and more positions. Still not enough, but more than his predicessors have done, and all while REDUCING the national deficit.

Old 07-22-2016, 11:30 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,870,989 times
Quote:
2014 stats in Texas alone, 600,000 crimes committed by illegals.
This is from a right-wing propaganda site, and that figure your are citing is for a 6-year period.

Report: Illegals Committed 600,000 Crimes in Texas in 6 Yrs | Truth Revolt

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections