Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Trump Speech yesterday...
Impressed by his speech - I am a Democrat 3 4.92%
Impressed by his speech - I am a Independent 18 29.51%
Impressed by his speech - I am a Republican 9 14.75%
NOT Impressed by his speech - I am a Democrat 8 13.11%
NOT Impressed by his speech - I am a Independent 10 16.39%
NOT Impressed by his speech - I am a Republican 4 6.56%
Whatever... 9 14.75%
Voters: 61. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2016, 02:54 PM

33,547 posts, read 18,143,148 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nc99 View Post
This pooling is to know how many people liked his speech, I was bit surprised, it was good....I am a Bernie supporter...if he had supported free college, $15 minimum wage and not be harsh on illegal immigration, it was almost like Bernie!
Trump said he wants to work on changing the huge debt that college students have.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2016, 03:17 PM

1,540 posts, read 1,124,513 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
More terrifying than electrifying.

That's the impression most folks came away with except for those who were already in the bucket for Trump.

Trump presented an armageddon of a speech, and I'm not at all sure Americans are all thinking that the sky is falling just yet. Or that all of us are trembling in our boots and running for cover.

It sure flew in the face of tradition; every acceptance speech I've ever heard was optimistic, a way to fire up positive feelings for the candidate and his party. It may have played well to his base, but for all the others, it was just more of the hot mess the entire convention was.

As a whole, the convention was a vivid example of what happens when a rank amateur is in charge of things. It certainly lacked anything that would make someone who's skeptical of Trump's abilities to give them confidence in him now.

Personally, since I've been listening to Trump's stump speeches, all I heard was his Top 10 list of scary things he's fed to his crowd ever since the beginning. Nothing new.

And nothing whatever on How. How he will accomplish any of his promises, no plans, no details that appear to be part of any plan. Nothing but an hour-long string of scary stories told around campfires to frighten little children.

Was he sincere? Who knows? None of us know anything at all about Trump's sincerity in anything he says.

But his apparent sincerity in the fear he spouted sure alarmed a lot of more reasonable people who hadn't paid much attention to him earlier. No one wants a mad man at the wheel of the ship of state right now, that's for sure.

Its ironic that Obama was saying the same thing in his speech with the Mexican president this afternoon about how things aren't bad and people woke up today and took their kids to the park and the pool when suddenly Breaking News talking about the 3 shooters in Germany. Yeah things are just great in the world and we would like it not to come to our shores any more than it already has

As to the "how" I heard him give a speech at a diner and he was asked about specifics....He said he was reluctant to give specifics because for an example he said he had just submitted his 10 point tax plan to the RNC, He explained that the president has to pass new laws through the Congress and he may only get to point 3 or 4 of his tax plan and someone will disagree and the details will have to be negotiated. He sais he may end up with all 10 points, something better or something completely different...He said he does not want to give any more of than an overview to the public because his 10 points will be all the media remembers....
Its a shame I only heard him explain one time...I think it makes sense and is something the public could easily understand and of course the liberal leaning press was not about to expound on his explanation.

Old 07-22-2016, 03:21 PM

5,701 posts, read 3,219,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by banjomike View Post
More terrifying than electrifying.

That's the impression most folks came away with except for those who were already in the bucket for Trump.

Trump presented an armageddon of a speech, and I'm not at all sure Americans are all thinking that the sky is falling just yet. Or that all of us are trembling in our boots and running for cover.

It sure flew in the face of tradition; every acceptance speech I've ever heard was optimistic, a way to fire up positive feelings for the candidate and his party. It may have played well to his base, but for all the others, it was just more of the hot mess the entire convention was.

As a whole, the convention was a vivid example of what happens when a rank amateur is in charge of things. It certainly lacked anything that would make someone who's skeptical of Trump's abilities to give them confidence in him now.

Personally, since I've been listening to Trump's stump speeches, all I heard was his Top 10 list of scary things he's fed to his crowd ever since the beginning. Nothing new.

And nothing whatever on How. How he will accomplish any of his promises, no plans, no details that appear to be part of any plan. Nothing but an hour-long string of scary stories told around campfires to frighten little children.

Was he sincere? Who knows? None of us know anything at all about Trump's sincerity in anything he says.

But his apparent sincerity in the fear he spouted sure alarmed a lot of more reasonable people who hadn't paid much attention to him earlier. No one wants a mad man at the wheel of the ship of state right now, that's for sure.
First of all, he knows you negotiate from a point of strength so you shouldnt reveal specifics. That would be like going to the car salesman and telling your actual highest offer right away. I dont think so!

Second, many of the things around immigration and law and order only require leadership and enforcing the laws. We dont need more laws or policies in many cases, just proper enforcement.

Old 07-22-2016, 03:43 PM

14,888 posts, read 10,029,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poopskooper View Post
Almost like Bernie?? Good grief. Nothing at all like Bernie. Bernie wants to bring people together. Trump wants to divide. Bernie really cares about the downtrodden and wants to do everything possible to help them ...he as for decades. Trump wants to help himself and the wealthy like him. I could go on and on. I just don't see where you think they are alike.
~amanda
You should really send him more money. I know he's dropping out but he deserves more of your hard earned cash, he obviously achieved what he wanted with people like you so you should all send him more cash.

Old 07-22-2016, 04:59 PM

29,212 posts, read 22,344,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mightleavenyc View Post
First of all, he knows you negotiate from a point of strength so you shouldnt reveal specifics. That would be like going to the car salesman and telling your actual highest offer right away. I dont think so!

Second, many of the things around immigration and law and order only require leadership and enforcing the laws. We dont need more laws or policies in many cases, just proper enforcement.
But we aren't buying a car. We are electing the most powerful individual person in the world.

And we have no way if he will be in a position of strength or not. We know nothing, because he has given us nothing, and we only have a weak excuse for the single plan he said he created.

We do know that he has changed every position he's taken from the beginning. Some have changed back and forth several times. That, at least, is a matter of record.

Know the differences? if you don't, you should.

Old 07-22-2016, 05:14 PM

656 posts, read 1,207,179 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by poopskooper View Post
Almost like Bernie?? Good grief. Nothing at all like Bernie. Bernie wants to bring people together. Trump wants to divide. Bernie really cares about the downtrodden and wants to do everything possible to help them ...he as for decades. Trump wants to help himself and the wealthy like him. I could go on and on. I just don't see where you think they are alike.
~amanda
Maybe I spoke too fast, I take it back.... Trump will not even come close to Bernie on any issues except the trade deals!! And as a person Bernie is genuine and Trump is fake!

Old 07-22-2016, 05:39 PM

7,185 posts, read 3,697,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
Trump said he wants to work on changing the huge debt that college students have.
He will probably want to allow the debt to be forgiven during bankruptcy. That would be appropriate, considering his history, and his "suggestion" that the US can just ignore its debt.

Old 07-22-2016, 05:51 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,444,381 times
It was the usual crap.

America is on the cusp of meltdown and crime is rampant...despite all the data that says America has WAY less crime than it EVER had under Reagan and that we're near historic lows.

Blame illegals for some supposed crime spree which isn't happening...

Promise no crime if we build a wall...

Promise to bring back manufacturing jobs, which are impossible...

Promise to somehow revitalize the economy through trade wars and tariffs...

Promise to kill all of America's bad guys quickly, although how nobody knows...

It was just the usual fear-mongering for stupid, angry people. Create a big boogeyman, get everyone whipped into a frenzy over him, then propose that you're the only strongman who can restore hope to humanity.

Old 07-22-2016, 06:18 PM

5,896 posts, read 3,895,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ambient View Post
It was just the usual fear-mongering for stupid, angry people. Create a big boogeyman, get everyone whipped into a frenzy over him, then propose that you're the only strongman who can restore hope to humanity.
It's not surprising why Trump and the Republican Party loves attracting the uneducated. These people aren't going to think critically about the empty-handed rhetoric presented to them.

Old 07-22-2016, 06:22 PM

5,559 posts, read 4,626,761 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nc99 View Post
This pooling is to know how many people liked his speech, I was bit surprised, it was good....I am a Bernie supporter...if he had supported free college, $15 minimum wage and not be harsh on illegal immigration, it was almost like Bernie!
The similarities were:

1) The system is rigged.

2) Trade treaties are destroying good jobs and our economy.

3) Clinton is a paid off agent of Wall Street.

4) inner cities are hurting.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections