U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-19-2008, 12:24 PM

413 posts, read 833,678 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarolinaBredChicagoan View Post
There's a difference between anecdotal and empirical evidence. You made a bold statement by not only noting that these thing occur, which they do, but also saying that crime was somehow the biggest component of the time that illegal immigrants have spent in this country.

First, that's a faulty comparison. Second, I KNOW you don't have any hard numbers that have been properly vetted that support your statements.

We need to get away from paranoia and fear-mongering and blanket statements and start making informed decisions about where we are and how to fix the myriad problems we face.
I want illegal immigration cut down as much as possible, but it's not because I believe that illegal immigrants are all violent criminals or anything. I just don't like the unrequited exportation of money or the shady industrial and corporate employment practices.

Immigrants are necessary for this country.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-19-2008, 12:27 PM

7,270 posts, read 13,494,369 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burnt View Post
I want illegal immigration cut down as much as possible, but it's not because I believe that illegal immigrants are all violent criminals or anything. I just don't like the unrequited exportation of money or the shady industrial and corporate employment practices.

Thing is, I think we should control the borders and have more regulation, too! I think our current situation is yet another case of our government talking out of both sides of its mouth.

Old 02-19-2008, 12:30 PM

19,868 posts, read 22,727,547 times
Quote:

Now here is a sensible, non-emotional post on reasons for controlling immigration and enforcement of immigration laws. Most posts by the illegal immigrant bashers are simply irrational and emotional rants. Not this one. These are reasonable reasons for enforcing our immigration laws.

Ken

Old 02-19-2008, 12:30 PM

438 posts, read 1,125,858 times
Floridabound you seem to be the most paranoid poster on this board. More than likely Hillary or Obama will be our next President. You're going to have to deal with that reality or move to your favorite country...Mexico.

Old 02-19-2008, 12:31 PM

19,868 posts, read 22,727,547 times
Quote:
There's a difference between anecdotal and empirical evidence. You made a bold statement by not only noting that these thing occur, which they do, but also saying that crime was somehow the biggest component of the time that illegal immigrants have spent in this country.

First, that's a faulty comparison. Second, I KNOW you don't have any hard numbers that have been properly vetted that support your statements.

We need to get away from paranoia and fear-mongering and blanket statements and start making informed decisions about where we are and how to fix the myriad problems we face.
Great post. I'd give you another point, but I can't until I spread some more around.

Ken

Old 02-19-2008, 12:35 PM

Quote:
Thing is, I think we should control the borders and have more regulation, too! I think our current situation is yet another case of our government talking out of both sides of its mouth.
Oh, this is exactly why nothing will be done. The democratic party politicians more often than not don't want to appear unsympathetic to minorities (which, unfortunately, is the accusation often attached to criticism of the hard line against illegal immigration), which is fine, but it results in their non-support for stricter enforcement of immigration laws. On the other hand, the republican party does not want to anger the industrial and commercial corporatists who operate on huge profit margins using cheap illegal immigrant labor, so the republican party won't actually support enforcement either.

Each will pay some lip-service to the idea of fixing the problem, but neither will actually do much.

In the end, I don't think it's likely that we'll see a solution anytime soon.

Old 02-19-2008, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
Now here is a sensible, non-emotional post on reasons for controlling immigration and enforcement of immigration laws. Most posts by the illegal immigrant bashers are simply irrational and emotional rants. Not this one. These are reasonable reasons for enforcing our immigration laws.

Ken
What's odd to me is that FB09 is so staunchly against illegal immigration, yet says he'll support McCain. Weird.

Then again, irrational thought is unpredictable and, well, irrational.

Old 02-19-2008, 12:37 PM

8,062 posts, read 16,185,651 times
LOL, great, now I've got that old song, "There's a Freak Show, baby, baby, on the dance floor" running through my mind! Brings back memories. We used to sing that song at work every time our bipolar boss walked past our cubicles. Weird that she never caught on! Great song, though.

Enjoy, y'all!

YouTube - The Bar-Kays - Freakshow On The Dance Floor

Old 02-19-2008, 12:39 PM

7,270 posts, read 13,494,369 times
Quote:
Oh, this is exactly why nothing will be done. The democratic party politicians more often than not don't want to appear unsympathetic to minorities (which, unfortunately, is the accusation often attached to criticism of the hard line against illegal immigration), which is fine, but it results in their non-support for stricter enforcement of immigration laws. On the other hand, the republican party does not want to anger the industrial and commercial corporatists who operate on huge profit margins using cheap illegal immigrant labor, so the republican party won't actually support enforcement either.

Each will pay some lip-service to the idea of fixing the problem, but neither will actually do much.

In the end, I don't think it's likely that we'll see a solution anytime soon.
Precisely. Well said. It's immensely frustrating.

Old 02-19-2008, 12:40 PM

4,800 posts, read 7,850,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teatime View Post
I was merely setting the record straight on Cesar Chavez. It was sounding as if he would be delighted that millions of illegals were invoking his name and yelling, "Si, se puede!" Not the case. And his son, Dolores Huerta, and the United Farmworkers are out campaigning for Hillary.

Dolores Huerta has been hosting Hillary events here in Texas for the past week.
Yeah too bad there is no difference between Hillary's and Obama's stance on illegal immigration. Don't think CC would be too enthusiastic about his relative's endorsement of someone who would parcel out amnesty like cheap Halloween candy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections