Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2016, 05:59 PM

11,988 posts, read 5,291,593 times

Advertisements

He could win.

Flying monkeys could fly out of my butt, but it isn't likely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2016, 06:08 PM

491 posts, read 319,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cachibatches View Post
Not saying he WILL win or even that he SHOULD win, but the denial that he COULD win has been astonishing. Now with the LA Times poll showing him up by seven and the democractic convention not going as a scripted coronation, y'all should be just a bit worried. The excuses don't hold water, and yes, I know them all:

1. THE DEMS HAVE AN INSURMOINTABLE "BLUE WALL."

Well, no. Something is true in politics until it is not. Trump has demonstrated that he has the ability to potentially flip Pennslyvania, and can maybe spread that to Michigan and Wisconsin. He is expanding the map. They used to talk about the "RED WALL." Things change.

2. DEMOGRAPHICS GUARANTEE THAT CLINTON WINS.

Well, no. The Dems have been predicting that demographcis will make them trancendent in every election in the last 20 yeras. Here is is 2016 and the Republicans still have the House, the Senate, a maortiy of governorships and dominate a majority of state legislatures. The more minorities vote democrat, the more whites vote republican. In the mid terms, the GOP made gains with Asians and in key states with Hispanics. Yes, Trump flushes that all away, but that could be balanced by the fact that blacks and Hispanics will vote in less absolute numbers for the less popular and insipring Hillary than they did for Obama.

3. HILLARY HAS A MACHINE BEHIND HER.

She has been outspening Trump something like 40 to 1, and where has it gotten her?

4. TRUMP'S NEGATIVES ARE TOO HIGH

A recent poll just had Hillary's higher for the first time,and she polls much worse on the soft and fuzzy questions.

5. TRUMP DOES POORLY WITH WOMEN

Hillary does worse with men. As this becomes a change and security election, Trump has more opportuity with security moms than Hillary does with any subset of men.

6. THE LA TIMES POLL IS AN OUTLIER

Just go to Realclearpoltics. It is clearly not. Trump clearly has momentum. In terms of the size of his lead, it is at this point an outlier, but several polls show him ahead or competative.

7. TRUMP JUST GOT A CONVENTION BOUNCE. EVERYONE GETS ONE, AND SO WILL HILLARY.

Well, no. In the age of mass media and the 24/7 news cycle, convention bounces are a disappearing phenomenon. What is more, the new e-mail scandal, the fact that Democrat delegets are yelling "lock her up," and the Wasserman Shcultz fiasco create the potenial for a negative bounce for Hillary.

Again, I am not saying that I support Trump--I despise both cadndiates. But are the clouds starting to part a bit on the denial that Trump is a viable candidate?
This is an outstanding post. And even if Trump loses, Democrats should really worry about becoming far too conceited and complacent in regards to 2020 and beyond. I can just see Democrats deluding themselves into believing that demographics and the blue wall will guarantee election victories for their party until the end of time.

Old 07-27-2016, 07:06 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,189,362 times
No.

Old 07-27-2016, 07:17 PM

13,709 posts, read 7,987,762 times
The Dems certainly are nervous. No doubt about it. All that money spent on attack ads with little to show. The recent email scandal with more likely to come and the RNC convention bump has Trump in the lead.

MSNBS and CNN will continue spinning the DNC convention as a love feast of party unity but I doubt the polls will support this next week.

Let's get serious folks. It's the middle of the DNC convention and today all anyone is talking about is the Trump press conference.

You bet the Dems are nervous.

Very nervous.

http://i64.tinypic.com/r8woqg.jpg

Last edited by CaseyB; 07-28-2016 at 03:59 AM..

Old 07-27-2016, 07:52 PM

27,131 posts, read 15,310,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
Like they always say, "Anything is possible."

But Drumpf has only a slightly better chance of winning in Nov than I do.

And I'm not on the ballot.

Now you are being ridiculous.

Old 07-27-2016, 08:12 PM

3,130 posts, read 3,073,305 times
Of course Trump could win. I can write out the details why if you are interested.

The one thing that I'm questioning though is that since Trump is almost universally despised amongst minorities, pundits are saying that Trump would need to win at least 66 percent of the white vote. Given his unpopularity, I'm not sure that is very likely. More likely you'll get lower voter turnout or third-party voting as many white people strongly dislike both Trump and Clinton.

Old 07-27-2016, 08:24 PM

13,709 posts, read 7,987,762 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sharks With Lasers View Post
The one thing that I'm questioning though is that since Trump is almost universally despised amongst minorities, pundits are saying that Trump would need to win at least 66 percent of the white vote. Given his unpopularity, I'm not sure that is very likely. More likely you'll get lower voter turnout or third-party voting as many white people strongly dislike both Trump and Clinton.

The recent email scandal has shown popular media outlets such as CNN and the Washington Post are in the DNC pocket. What they report is often spun to favor the Dems

Yes, Clinton will win the minority vote. However, I believe Trump will do better than expected especially with the black vote.

I think CNN or maybe it was MSNBC reported Trump present poll numbers with the Hispanic vote aren't much different than what Romney received.

Which probably means Trumps is doing better.

Old 07-27-2016, 08:35 PM

38,859 posts, read 25,531,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bluesjuke View Post
Now you are being ridiculous.

But you have to admit that with Drumpf in the race, ridiculous is entirely appropriate.

Old 07-27-2016, 11:13 PM

6,738 posts, read 2,908,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Market Junkie View Post
Look, when a ******* DOLT like GWB can win the presidency in this country, pretty much anything is possible.

NEVER underestimate the collective stupidity of Murican voters...
Compared to slime ball obama, GWB was the greatest president of all time. He loved his country, the same country obama hates, GWB loves cops and soldiers, the same cops and soldiers obama hates. GWB loves people of all colors, obama hates whites.. and on and on.

Old 07-27-2016, 11:17 PM

6,738 posts, read 2,908,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
Like they always say, "Anything is possible."

But Drumpf has only a slightly better chance of winning in Nov than I do.

And I'm not on the ballot.
A quote your took from obama, a worthless, America hating slime ball. You sure know how to pick em...
You are going to love President Trump...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections