Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-31-2016, 12:52 PM

52,431 posts, read 26,628,813 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by dexter75 View Post
Coal only accounts for 33% of electricity in the US, same as natural gas.
Nope, and you failed to respond what I posted.

I get my electricity from Duke Energy. Largest Electricity Company in the USA. They just built a new coal plant.

https://www.duke-energy.com/north-ca...energy-mix.asp

Fuel Sources.
  • Nuclear - 56.8%
  • Coal 38.1%
  • Natural Gas- 4%
  • Hydro - 1%
  • "Green" - 0.1%
Hillary is a liar or just plain stupid & clueless if she thinks coal is going away. But she sure doesn't care about American jobs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-31-2016, 12:53 PM

21,989 posts, read 15,713,056 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
No they are not, the average price of natural gas since about 2008 when the boom started has averaged about $4/MMBTU, there is low of $2 and high of $6.
Coalman, everyone responded to you in massive detail in that other thread. There are thousands of articles about the decline of coal, the tiny veins that are left to mine in Appalachia, the massive cost to mine and transport coal in Wyoming and the resulting layoffs that are happening there plus the huge stockpile of coal they already have now. It is competing against natural gas which is cheaper to get, easier to find due to fracking and cheaper to transport. There is no cost comparison between the two and in my post above I showed where many if not most of the coal plants are converting to natural gas.

While oil and natural gas could see prices rebound as demand rises, coal has very little hope of ever seeing a price rebound again.

The Decline Of The Coal Industry Is

the entire US coal industry appears headed for a historic transformation – forced mainly by cheap natural gas produced by fracking.

https://www.theguardian.com/environm...ne-natural-gas

Old 07-31-2016, 12:58 PM

52,431 posts, read 26,628,813 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post
There are thousands of articles about the decline of coal,
Nope.

Duke Energy is building new coal plants. This is because the only viable option, which isn't dependent upon foreign sources is Nuclear.

80,000 people in the USA work in the coal industry. Hillary wants to put them out of work but she has no plan to replace the lost energy production.

Of course Hillary supports putting the middle class out of work because she supports NAFTA, TPP, and the continued unfair trade deals that are sending millions of jobs overseas.

Well no matter. She's lost the American worker and without them, she can't win the election.

Old 07-31-2016, 01:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaldoKitty View Post
Nope, and you failed to respond what I posted.

I get my electricity from Duke Energy. Largest Electricity Company in the USA. They just built a new coal plant.
I expect Duke Energy to promote their resources and they do. But you need to keep reading. They built a new coal plant? Now look at the list of ones they are retiring:

https://www.duke-energy.com/about-us...etirements.asp

I count twenty being retired.

And a couple have this:

W.S. Lee Steam Station: 1-3 (1 & 2 retired, unit 3 converted to natural gas)

Wabash River Generating Station: Retire 2-5 by 2016; Convert Unit 6 to natural gas or retire by 2016

And this:

Adding new natural gas generation is part of Duke Energy's strategy to maintain a diverse fuel portfolio and to ensure an affordable, reliable and cleaner energy supply for our customers in the future.

https://www.duke-energy.com/about-us/natural-gas.asp

That is from your own link.

Old 07-31-2016, 01:03 PM

45,382 posts, read 60,575,206 times
As for natural gas, and fuel oil too, doesn't it strike some of you as stupid to use a primary energy source to produce another primary energy source, electricity?

It always astounds me how against fracking people are until they talk about how much better it is than coal.

Old 07-31-2016, 01:04 PM

3,287 posts, read 2,304,388 times
Quote:
Hillary tried to dodge the question in Pennsylvania. Finally put to task she simply states that Coal Workers will have to find other jobs if she is elected. Maybe she doesn't know there are 1000s of coal workers in Penn.

Hillary Goes to Pennsylvania to Talk Manufacturing - Tells Coal Workers to Find Other Work (VIDEO)

(No wonder she has lost the industrial belt of the USA to Trump)
Maybe they could jobs as respiratory therapists? Lots of need for those. :cough:

Old 07-31-2016, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Nope.

Duke Energy is building new coal plants.
In two years' time, five Duke Energy natural gas-fired power plants began serving North Carolina customers. With the retirement of three coal-fired plants, the company saw its fleet generation capacity diminish by 771 megawatts (MW). However, through its modernization projects, Duke Energy added 2,760 MW – more than tripling its original capacity while significantly reducing emissions. These additions enable Duke Energy to modernize the fleet, better serve customers' future energy needs and continue environmental stewardship efforts across the service territory.

https://www.duke-energy.com/about-us...s-overview.asp

That is from your own link. You are not reading your own links before you post them, they don't say what you think they say. Your own links are arguing against you.

Old 07-31-2016, 01:09 PM

25,961 posts, read 22,120,062 times
Quote:
I light my house with electricity of which 40% comes from coal fire plants.

BTW, Hillary supports the coal industry in China where she supports the remaining American manufacturing jobs be placed.

Case closed.
Oh, the case isn't closed quite yet. The majority of our oil comes from Saudi Arabia. There is no way that Hillary is going to push for clean energy because Saudi Arabia along with some other Middle East countries own a piece of her: Arab nations

https://www.weforum.org/agenda/2015/...oil-come-from/

The US was talking about green energy when I was in high school in the early 1970s. We went to a showroom in Elkhart, IN to look at the electric cars that they were selling. This was almost 50 years ago.

Hillary wants to keep us energy dependent. In reality, dependent across the board.

Shutting down the coal plants is an effort that Hillary is making to pay back contributions to her money laundering "foundation".

Donald Trump's energy policy: An America first plan - Tulsa World: Other Voices

Shutting down the coal mines will keep us energy dependent on the Middle East and help Hillary repay them for their generous contributions to her. That's a lot of favors!

http://truthfeed.com/sean-hannity-pu...th-death/7237/

http://www.politifact.com/wisconsin/...-countries-go/

Say "No" to corruption.

Old 07-31-2016, 01:12 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,051,710 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Seacove View Post

the entire US coal industry appears headed for a historic transformation – forced mainly by cheap natural gas produced by fracking.
Again seacove the BTU for BTU the average cost of gas since 2008 has been about $4/MMBTU, there is high of $6 driven by a short supply and a low of $2 driven by over supply like they have now because of the mild winter. Unlike coal the gas market has historically seen a lot of fluctuation even since 2008 when the new supplies have driven it's average price down.

Can the gas industry compete? Maybe, maybe not. This largely depends on whether they can reduce and stabilize the average price. I can tell you one thing, by eliminating their main competitor reducing that price and keeping it low is no longer imperative.

There is other issues here as well that could raise the price, they want to export this gas and that is going to increase the cost you pay.

This beside is besides the point the coal industry has a heavy current regulatory burden and CO2 caps hanging over their heads driving up its cost.

Old 07-31-2016, 01:14 PM

26,407 posts, read 46,581,861 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
No but I have petroleum oil lamps in case there is a power failure. The whaling industry didn't go out of business because of lack of demand, they went out of business because a cheaper and more abundant source for oil came on the market. Oil lamps went out business because of electric, primarily produced by coal.

Electric is electric, what is important is the cost to produce it and nothing can compare to coal.

These business's are dying because of market forces, there is simply a better product on the market that is either cheaper or provides better services. They are not losing business because the government is driving up the cost for them to do business while offsetting the cost of the competitors.
The government doesn't necessarily factor in specifically regarding "picking winners and losers," as market forces are continually driving down the price of renewable energy installations every year and natural gas costs are low, although the consensus is that pipelines leaks from methane must be addressed very quickly, and that the tool used is remote sensing and infrared cameras.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections