Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-04-2016, 06:51 PM

3,874 posts, read 4,693,457 times

Advertisements

I'm back as I said I would be this afternoon when I posted here at 4:30. From behind my office firewall I'm not able to post links to threads at CD so here is what I promised I'd bring to the thread.
It's a transcript from the Aug. 1st News Hour program on PBS in which Judy Woodruff interviews Khizr & Ghazala Khan.
Well down in the body of the transcript, in response to a question from Ms. Woodruff, Mr. Khan specifically addresses Sharia in the U.S. in the paragraph that begins with "Sharia law cannot be implemented in this United states...."

Khizr Khan: As candidate for the highest office, Trump needs tolerance for criticism | PBS NewsHour

Old 08-04-2016, 08:53 PM

15,408 posts, read 6,191,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELOrocks17 View Post
THe VFW was manipulated by the liberal media
The VFW, with more than 1.5 million dedicated members, represents veterans that risked their lives so that you could exercise your First Amendment rights and make wild guesses like that. Please appreciate that! Agree to disagree with your statement.

Old 08-04-2016, 09:45 PM

435 posts, read 430,321 times
Default Read Carefully...

Quote:
Originally Posted by atler8 View Post
I'm back as I said I would be this afternoon when I posted here at 4:30. From behind my office firewall I'm not able to post links to threads at CD so here is what I promised I'd bring to the thread.
It's a transcript from the Aug. 1st News Hour program on PBS in which Judy Woodruff interviews Khizr & Ghazala Khan.
Well down in the body of the transcript, in response to a question from Ms. Woodruff, Mr. Khan specifically addresses Sharia in the U.S. in the paragraph that begins with "Sharia law cannot be implemented in this United states...."

Khizr Khan: As candidate for the highest office, Trump needs tolerance for criticism | PBS NewsHour
Here is the question and response for those who don't want to click on the link:

"JUDY WOODRUFF: Mr. Khan, what about that? Because Donald Trump has quoted a poll last year that he said showed that more than 50 percent of American Muslims believe that there should be Sharia law, which advocates violent acts against women and acts — violent, in effect, terrorism?

KHIZR KHAN: Sharia law cannot be implemented in this United States, because this distorted Sharia law is against the basic principle of equal dignity, equal protection of law in the United States.
What are we talking about? These are political statements to gather votes and create hatred and dislike. I would love to sit down and talk on, what Sharia law are we talking about? There is no such thing.
These are laws of these countries. These are hodgepodge of various traditions, various British laws, various colonized times, laws, legal system. There is no such thing. The United States has the Islamic law, which is equal protection of law under the 14th Amendment.
Therefore, there is no fear, except fear-mongers make it fear. Unless we amend our Constitution and we take out the Equal Protection Clause of the 14th Amendment, sure, we can talk about Sharia law coming in and sneaking in here and all that. Otherwise, there is no place for that."

So let's recap it. He says, Sharia law can't be implemented unless the 14th Amendment is amended. What I would have liked to hear him say is something along the lines of "Well I am a Muslim and I don't believe that Sharia Law should supersede anything in the Constitution." But look closely, he does not say that, he just says that it can't unless the Constitution is changed.

Also what is up with the statement: "I would love to sit down and talk on, what Sharia law are we talking about? There is no such thing." Obviously he is an EXPERT on Sharia law or at least very smart enough to have written a 14 page brief on it in the Houston Journal of International Law. Is he really saying that there is no connection between forms of Sharia law and discrimination/violence against women? Then he seems to insinuate somehow British laws among other things have to do with the persecution of women by radical Islamists?

It wasn't right for Trump to go tit-for-tat with Mr. Kahn but the above exchange does not allay my fears or repudiate Mr. Kahn's prior writings on Sharia Law or the fact that he makes a living off immigration from Muslim countries. DNC should have put up another Muslim family that doesn't have these employment ties or public writings.

Old 08-04-2016, 09:48 PM
NCN

21,662 posts, read 25,615,836 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post
Mike Pence did exactly what Hillary did. Hello?
When did he say their deaths were caused by a video? I don't think so.

Old 08-04-2016, 09:50 PM

15,088 posts, read 13,443,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
Pat Smith didn't act like the Constitution was her Holy Book!

Pat Smith asked to meet with Hillary and Hillary would not meet her. This is why Smith is angry, but Hillary meet with the Khan family, why did she do this? The Khans are blaming Trump who was against the war and was NOT in office, why isn't he addressing Hillary who supported the war the President Bush started?

How about blaming radical Muslims (if this is true) for the death of their son and NOT Trump!
I thought the Constitution was effectively America's "holy book." Aren't conservatives always saying how they're the defenders of the Constitution and all that?

No one was ever blaming Trump for the death of Khizr Khan's son, least of all Khizr Khan, so your point is...pointless. Learn to keep up.

Old 08-05-2016, 06:32 AM

14,479 posts, read 11,272,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjski View Post
Dear Madam,

I have been shown in the files of the War Department a statement of the Adjutant-General of Massachusetts, that you are the mother of five sons who have died gloriously on the field of battle.

I feel how weak and fruitless must be any words of mine which should attempt to beguile you from the grief of a loss so overwhelming. But I cannot refrain from tendering to you the consolation that may be found in the thanks of the Republic they died to save.

I pray that our Heavenly Father may assuage the anguish of your bereavement, and leave you only the cherished memory of the loved and lost, and the solemn pride that must be yours, to have laid so costly a sacrifice upon the altar of Freedom. Yours, very sincerely and respectfully,

Abraham Lincoln

You guys aren't even trying anymore, are you...
Actually, we're trying too hard.

Here, I'll be the first to admit that this sucks. I had no idea he'd be this bad. Against Hillary Clinton, a Republican should have been able to walk into the White House. And no, I didn't vote for him in the primary.

Old 08-05-2016, 09:22 AM

3,874 posts, read 4,693,457 times
Default Conservatives..

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
Donald Trump has dismissed Mike Pence's support for the Iraq war, saying his vice presidential pick was "entitled to make a mistake every once in a while."
Trump says he 'doesn't care' Pence supported Iraq War, but Clinton not entitled to same mistake

Hillary continued to take us into Libya, Syria and supports Iran having nukes.......big difference if you ask me! Hillary also blames Israel and welcomes Islam.

Hillary and the Muslims vs Hillary and the Jews

Oh my goodness!! you wrote, "Hillary supports Iran having nukes." To use Joe Biden's terminology, what a bunch of "malarkey!" Where do you come up w/ stuff like that which is total & complete fabrication?
Wait.. I understand how. I just looked at the conspiracy theory/nut case/right wing site that was your 2nd link here.
Honestly people.. Just because you saw or read it on the internet or heard it on the radio or tv does not make something necessarily true. We owe it to ourselves to do the equivalent of due diligence.. Especially if we are going to share it w/ others!!

Old 08-05-2016, 09:32 AM

24,204 posts, read 19,188,286 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jvr789 View Post
Here is the question and response for those who don't want to click on the link:

"JUDY WOODRUFF: Mr. Khan, what about that? Because Donald Trump has quoted a poll last year that he said showed that more than 50 percent of American Muslims believe that there should be Sharia law, which advocates violent acts against women and acts — violent, in effect, terrorism?

KHIZR KHAN: Sharia law cannot be implemented in this United States, because this distorted Sharia law is against the basic principle of equal dignity, equal protection of law in the United States.
What are we talking about? These are political statements to gather votes and create hatred and dislike. I would love to sit down and talk on, what Sharia law are we talking about? There is no such thing.
These are laws of these countries. These are hodgepodge of various traditions, various British laws, various colonized times, laws, legal system. There is no such thing. The United States has the Islamic law, which is equal protection of law under the 14th Amendment.
Therefore, there is no fear, except fear-mongers make it fear. Unless we amend our Constitution and we take out the Equal Protection Clause of the 14th Amendment, sure, we can talk about Sharia law coming in and sneaking in here and all that. Otherwise, there is no place for that."

So let's recap it. He says, Sharia law can't be implemented unless the 14th Amendment is amended. What I would have liked to hear him say is something along the lines of "Well I am a Muslim and I don't believe that Sharia Law should supersede anything in the Constitution." But look closely, he does not say that, he just says that it can't unless the Constitution is changed.

Also what is up with the statement: "I would love to sit down and talk on, what Sharia law are we talking about? There is no such thing." Obviously he is an EXPERT on Sharia law or at least very smart enough to have written a 14 page brief on it in the Houston Journal of International Law. Is he really saying that there is no connection between forms of Sharia law and discrimination/violence against women? Then he seems to insinuate somehow British laws among other things have to do with the persecution of women by radical Islamists?

It wasn't right for Trump to go tit-for-tat with Mr. Kahn but the above exchange does not allay my fears or repudiate Mr. Kahn's prior writings on Sharia Law or the fact that he makes a living off immigration from Muslim countries. DNC should have put up another Muslim family that doesn't have these employment ties or public writings.

You need to read carefully from your own post.

He calls Sharia law distorted and against the basic principal of equal dignity and equal protection. If you can read that as his wanting Sharia law imposed in the US, then you have a great future awaiting you as a contortionist in a circus.

Old 08-05-2016, 11:18 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,293,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
It's from a law review article discussing classification of ISLAMIC LAW. Not a word about advocating for Sharia law in the US.

Context matters.

https://www.scribd.com/document/3200...on-Islamic-Law

This one's for you: Gaffney - Khizr Khan, Political IED, Sharia Agitator Blowing Up On Trump

And here's another: Khizr Khan Believes Sharia Trumps the Constitution

Last edited by nononsenseguy; 08-05-2016 at 12:37 PM..

Old 08-05-2016, 11:32 AM

30,419 posts, read 20,293,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by atler8 View Post
"Nonpartisan" has always been an English language word by my understanding, but nice bit of opening deflection there..
I also noticed that the 2 sites you linked here were not at all "nonpartisan" but rather rightwing sites.
Specifically your Daily Caller is site well-known as a crack pot/conspiracy site. Right wing is (or left wing for that matter) far enough from the "nonpartisan" standard I requested of you but seriously.. a crackpot site is what you linked us to?
Honestly, I'm embarrassed for you that you are not aware of what is nonpartisan & what isn't.
Additionally, you apparently did not CAREFULLY read/study what was claimed at the 2 links you supplied here in addition to the other links contained within them... did you? Go find those other contained links & don't ignore them.
If you had read everything carefully & gone to those extra links, you would have realized that Khizr Khan was not advocating on behalf of Sharia law in the U.S. He is a legal scholar & Sharia is a legal system, among other things, in many Moslem countries. As such, it can be seen in your links that his writings as a scholar studied what constitutes the amalgamation & evolutionary growth of Sharia law over the centuries (over 13 centuries).
In those links, there is NO DISCUSSION of Sharia tenets of law versus other non-Muslim law systems, whether they be Judaic, Christian or U.S. law specifically. Instead, it was an entirely-Sharia specific study of how Sharia law grew & which parts of it came from the life time of Mohammed and were thus the real & bonafide basis for Sharia.
You have without reading carefully, accepted on blind faith what both Frank Gaffney & the author at The Daily Caller told you he was saying without reading for yourself to see if their interpretations were true or false.
Your source "scholars", Mr. Gaffney & the author at The Daily Caller have embarrassed themselves in their writings & interpretations of Mr. Khan's studies. Apparently they only made cursory research & were unable to understand the jist of his academic/scholarly writings.
It's most unfortunate that they were unable to tell the difference between pure advocacy of Sharia law on one hand versus the study & discussion of the origins of Sharia law on the other hand. There's a huge difference.
Think in terms of you or me writing a college term paper on Hitler's Mein Kampf. The opinion neutral writing of such a paper by you or me would not in and of itself be an advocacy on behalf of Hitler's ideals but would rather be a study of them.
And in conclusion, I can't post links here at work from behind my office firewall so tonight I will come back here & post a transcript of an interview with Mr. Khan where he very specifically spoke as to his view of why Sharia law would not work in the U.S.
Why don't you just admit you're a Muslim sympathizer who is totally ignorant about Islam and their strategy called "civilization jihad" of which Mr. Khirz Khan is every bit a part of, and at the present, during Hillary's coronation, hiding behind the fact that he is a "Gold Star Family?" Mrs. Clinton has used him, knowing full well who he is. His lying is called "taqiyya" in Islam. That is, lying to non-believers (non-Muslims) for the 'faith.' Look it up.

As for Frank Gaffney, he is highly respected and extremely knowledgeable on Islam. Another source you may want to check out is Robert Spencer.

What you lack is even a basic knowledge of Islam, and their view of themselves as the only true believers. They are killing for "Allah," which they believe will earn them a place in "paradise." Sharia, they believe, is above all other law, even (for those living in the US) above our Constitution. These people represent grave danger for the United States and our way of life, and should not be so easily dismissed by the uninformed, like yourself.

Get informed. Learn, before you speak about something you know nothing about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.