Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2016, 09:43 AM

4,040 posts, read 2,555,287 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by WRnative View Post
This is sick. You've obviously never known parents who lost their only son in military service.

Sick and disgusting. Are you a Trump family member?
I have known many service families. That is irrelevant to the definition of SACRIFICE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Captain Khan's son sacrificed his life for his country. As a result, the Khan's lost a son. Your logic is that the families of American soldiers sacrifice nothing, that only the dead have sacrificed. The loss of a son, a brother, a father or a daughter, sister, mother, is not just a tragedy. The families know their loved ones are at risk. They live with that fear and sorrow every day. A willing sacrifice. The families are separated from their loved ones. That is a sacrifice.

While I understand the point you are trying to make, I think that your argument lacks empathy. Military families, including the parents of our military men and women, make sacrifices every time their hearts ache at the absence of the loved ones, whether their loved one returns or not, their hearts ache at the toll service takes on those who choose to serve.

Empathy isn't sufficient reason to change definitions of words.

Your bolded part is a contradiction. They live with fear and sorrow every sday because of a choice made by SOMEONE ELSE, not THEMSELVES.

If they didn't make the decision then it IS NOT THEIR SACRIFICE. PERIOD.

Old 08-01-2016, 09:49 AM

9,727 posts, read 9,724,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
I appreciate the entirety of the letter, but it was too much to re-post.

Chris Mark may not think that the Khan family sacrificed anything. But he is wrong. The loss of a son is a great sacrifice. That Captain Khan willingly made that sacrifice does not diminish the sacrifice he made, or the sacrifice that his family made.

And when Chris Mark ignores the context of Mr Khan's comment that Mr Trump hasn't made any sacrifices, a context where Mr Trump has called for a ban on Muslims entering this country, which he has modified to a ban on people entering this country from regions compromised by terrorism, and a context where Mr Trump has called on increased surveillance of all Muslims living in this country, when Chris Mark ignores these contexts, he does so deliberately, with the intent of pretending that Mr Khan should not focus on Trump.

Chris Mark may have written this missive before Trump fired back at the Khans, but in light of Trump's counter attack, the Khans statement about sacrifice becomes even more resonant. Trump's suggestions about the mother's silence has been eloquently rebutted. Trump's remarks about his own sacrifices (he worked hard to become a billionaire???---That's a sacrifice????) ring hollow.

While I've no doubt this controversy will blow over just like all of the controversies that have erupted around Trump, at some point the people who remain undecided in this election will be making a decision, and ignoring Trump's tweets will be an act of will.
Kahn's son was not sacrificed. He was an adult who volunteered for a job and was killed. Mr Kahn had not say in sending his kid to Iraq and Donald Trump was not part of the decision.

Old 08-01-2016, 09:50 AM

12,547 posts, read 9,927,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
Stop looking like an idiot by trotting out definitions of "sacrifice" because we all know the meaning of the word, what Mr. Khan meant when he used it, and what an a$$hat Trump was by saying he sacrificed for his country by having a business career.
What did he mean? It sounded like he was saying that he willingly made the decision for his son to die so others could live -- that is a sacrifice. However, Kahn's son is the one that made the decision to sacrifice -- therefore, an intagonistic question like "WHAT DID YOU SACRIFICE" was uncalled for.

Old 08-01-2016, 10:02 AM

465 posts, read 256,801 times
Visit any Benghazi thread if you want to see these same people debating here over the definition of sacrifice bending over backwards to defend the SACRIFICE of those Americans in Benghazi, and their families.

At this point its hard to believe that you all even believe yourselves when trying to defend this.

Old 08-01-2016, 10:05 AM

39,198 posts, read 27,575,665 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
What did he mean? It sounded like he was saying that he willingly made the decision for his son to die so others could live -- that is a sacrifice. However, Kahn's son is the one that made the decision to sacrifice -- therefore, an intagonistic question like "WHAT DID YOU SACRIFICE" was uncalled for.
That is the end of all conversation. Just like "I served, how about you?" How do you expect people to continue the conversation after that?

I understand the father is angry and in a lot of pain. But it is obvious, he made himself clear, Hillary clinton is the Healer. sheesh..

His son made the ultimate sacrifice for his fellow soldiers, for survival, for love, for brotherhood.. Not for politicians. Mr. Khan needs to remember that.

Old 08-01-2016, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petty Pendergrass View Post
Visit any Benghazi thread if you want to see these same people debating here over the definition of sacrifice bending over backwards to defend the SACRIFICE of those Americans in Benghazi, and their families.

At this point its hard to believe that you all even believe yourselves when trying to defend this.
Sounds like you have no logical argument.

I just want to say that I've sacrificed for this country - I had family that died in the revolution.

Old 08-01-2016, 10:14 AM

16,068 posts, read 10,726,642 times
Quote:

These folks get some sort of endorphin rush when they post this BS on behalf of their little orange hero. It is less about what they believe or how they were raised. It is more about the hormonal rush, which is why they can't shut up. People are enabling them by debating with them.

Old 08-01-2016, 10:15 AM

465 posts, read 256,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eddiehaskell View Post
Sounds like you have no logical argument.

I just want to say that I've sacrificed for this country - I had family that died in the revolution.
I would never expect you to be able to decipher logic, so its OK.

Old 08-01-2016, 10:17 AM

11,610 posts, read 10,420,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadgates View Post
I have known many service families. That is irrelevant to the definition of SACRIFICE.

They live with fear and sorrow every sday because of a choice made by SOMEONE ELSE, not THEMSELVES.

If they didn't make the decision then it IS NOT THEIR SACRIFICE. PERIOD.
I specified parents who lost their only son in military service. The pain is pervasive and life-altering, and they certainly, for good reason, believe that they've made a sacrifice on behalf of their country.

It says much about Trump supporters that they even would argue that the loss of a child in military service is not a sacrifice. I guess I shouldn't be surprised as Trump himself equates "sacrifice" with building "great structures," and Trump supporters evidently believe every bit of nonsense that spills out The Donald's mouth.

I have a question for all Trump supporters, whether vets or not, does the "ultimate sacrifice" only apply to the soldier who dies in service, and not extend to his loved ones???

That's is essentially the argument made by Trump supporters in this thread, and I will repeat -- it is a sick and disgusting argument. Most of all, it's an argument divorced from the reality of millions of Americans, including not only parents, but also children, siblings, and many more loved ones.

Old 08-01-2016, 10:17 AM

Quote:
I would never expect you to be able to decipher logic, so its OK.
Are you done with these non-replies?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections