Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-01-2016, 04:32 PM

7,783 posts, read 6,083,135 times

Advertisements

If you live in a state that is one sided, i.e.. Blue or Red, and you are the wrong "color" yourself, consider voting for a third party candidate.

If your candidate does not have any chance of winning your state's electoral votes, you could still waste your vote on your candidate or vote for the presumptive winner. Either way, your vote is, for all intensive purposes, wasted. Your state's electoral votes will go to the other person no matter what you do. This is the situation I find myself in, here in Maryland.

You can help to facilitate change, though, by voting for a third party candidate. They are not going to win, but it will at the very least throw a scare into both major parties. Next time around the "establishment" candidates will think twice about disregarding the people that put them in office. And who knows? If a third party candidate gets a large amount of votes this time around, in four years there may be three major parties to choose from.

The other possibility is, both major parties will see that maintaining the electoral college system works against them and may mean the end of their party. Wouldn't you prefer to know that your vote can make the difference in a close popular vote race? Without the electoral college your vote would never be wasted like I outlined above in the current system.

If you live in a state that is not considered a one party state, by all means vote for the person you like no matter what party they or you are in. Don't change the way you vote.

But I think their are enough people out their in a similar situation to me that we can really begin to make some changes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-01-2016, 04:44 PM

Perhaps I should explain why your vote is wasted for your candidate if they are the wrong color in state that always votes the other color. (Blue vs Red)

If you, a Republican, live in a state that votes blue all the time and the race is close in your state, then the race is lopsided in your favor in the other states that are normally close. Your candidate doesn't need your votes or your state's electoral votes.

If the races is close in all the other states that are usually too ups, then your state is going to the Democrats no matter how you vote.

The same is true if you are a Democrat living in a state that always votes Red. Your vote is always wasted because of the electoral college.

Hence a vote for a third party if you are in this situation is the most effective use of your vote.

Old 08-01-2016, 04:48 PM

4,078 posts, read 2,338,644 times
The only wasted vote is voting for someone you dont believe in...

Old 08-01-2016, 04:52 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,938,752 times
I know of no state in this nation that is so deeply "red" or "blue" that the candidate is going to walk away with 75% of the vote. Even in Republican-leaning Texas or Democratic-leaning California, voters of the minority party want to make a statement.

Old 08-01-2016, 04:54 PM

13,814 posts, read 28,492,235 times
Hillary...Is that you????

Old 08-01-2016, 05:01 PM

17,340 posts, read 11,271,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
I know of no state in this nation that is so deeply "red" or "blue" that the candidate is going to walk away with 75% of the vote. Even in Republican-leaning Texas or Democratic-leaning California, voters of the minority party want to make a statement.
So true!!! And why should I vote for a third party when I don't agree with their stands on issues?

Old 08-01-2016, 05:03 PM

6,131 posts, read 7,984,826 times
Nope. My vote will go to keep the Orange Menace out of the White House, which sadly means I have to do something I'd have never thought possible and will vote for Clinton.

Old 08-01-2016, 05:06 PM

So far every respondent has no clue about how the electoral college works.

Old 08-01-2016, 05:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dexter75 View Post
The only wasted vote is voting for someone you dont believe in...
Even if there is no way, in your state, your candidate could win?

Old 08-01-2016, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
Who said it has to be 75%? If you live in a state that leans heavily in the opposite direction that you vote in, you waste your vote. If polls say it is close in your state come election day then your vote might make a difference. If polls say it is close in Maryland for a republican presidential hopeful, then he is going to win enough other states, such that he doesn't need your help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections