Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 09-18-2016, 03:13 PM

22,632 posts, read 14,934,738 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. In-Between View Post
Now that Trumpie's little sparkler has fizzled out and the polls are starting to swing back the other way, we're apparently back to "polls are all rigged!" again. It's so hard to keep track.

But at any rate, I'm very curious to see what the polls say early this coming week. Hillary had an absolutely terrible weekend last week, and whatever effect that has on the polls should be fully reflected in the coming polls. If she's still losing ground, that's a very bad sign - could mean that voters really are turning away from her. But if she's holding even, or even starting to regain ground, that could mean that she's weathered the worst and recovered. Next few days should tell a critical tale of how the election may go.
You are probably correct in saying we will have to wait until the first of October to see where Hillary and Donald stand. After the first debate we may see a couple of points in the polls move one way or the other.

I will repeat myself again by stating that Hillary has a significant lead here in Pennsylvania - over 6 points over Donald, a state that has nearly a million more registered Democrats than Republicans. If the Trump campaign was wise, in my view, they would concentrate on Florida, North Carolina, Wisconsin, Ohio ...

I live in Pennsylvania and I follow Pennsylvania politics.

Old 09-18-2016, 03:27 PM

12,287 posts, read 9,816,866 times
This election more than any in recent past will be about turning out the base in swing states. Since neither party likes their candidate most casual voters will stay home making the election more like a mid term election than 2012 or 2008.

This election is certainly taking us down unexplored territory.

Old 09-18-2016, 04:46 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,274,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
You are probably correct in saying we will have to wait until the first of October to see where Hillary and Donald stand. After the first debate we may see a couple of points in the polls move one way or the other.

I will repeat myself again by stating that Hillary has a significant lead here in Pennsylvania - over 6 points over Donald, a state that has nearly a million more registered Democrats than Republicans. If the Trump campaign was wise, in my view, they would concentrate on Florida, North Carolina, Wisconsin, Ohio ...

I live in Pennsylvania and I follow Pennsylvania politics.
Yeah, he isn't going to win Pennsylvania. Pennsylvania is a trap just like Michigan. Every election the GOP swears they can win there and every election they get disappointed. Trump has to flip Iowa, Nevada, Florida, Ohio, New Hampshire, and hold North Carolina.

Old 09-18-2016, 05:03 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,526,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
It just never ends, does it. Now we're even attacking Bob Gates - about the most authentic public servant there is or was. I rarely agree w/GOP on anything - but I have never ever had anything but the highest regard for Bob Gates - who sincerely CARED.
Gates is widely viewed by persons of all political stripes as one of, if not the most, the most honest and respected government leaders in recent US history. Trump's attacks don't change that one whit, they only blow back on Trump.

Old 09-18-2016, 05:09 PM

34,006 posts, read 17,035,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~HecateWhisperCat~ View Post
Yeah, he isn't going to win Pennsylvania. Pennsylvania is a trap just like Michigan. Every election the GOP swears they can win there and every election they get disappointed. Trump has to flip Iowa, Nevada, Florida, Ohio, New Hampshire, and hold North Carolina.

Not sure on that. HRC will lose a few hundred k in Philly vs BO due to lower turnout. BO got highest ever inner city turnout. HRC will be like Kerry in that regard.

Old 09-18-2016, 05:11 PM

34,006 posts, read 17,035,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bureaucat View Post
Pray tell, what is "AP's agenda?" Does AP have an agenda to push, whereas Breitbart only delivers hard news???

Also, look at the quote from Ol' Turdblossom from today's Fox News Sunday.

"This is going to be a very close election. He (Trump) now leads in states with 244 electoral votes, and he's close in 2 more states with another 21. That's 265. Getting from 265 to 270 is going to be awfully hard to do."

Give Trump all the states where the consensus of polls has him leading or close:

Hold NC to start with Romney's total of 206.
Take Florida to reach 235
Take Ohio to reach 253
Take Iowa to reach 259
Take Nevada to reach 265

4 votes to 269 and victory. 269 to result in a tie and Trump would win in the House. He needs one of the following:

Colorado (9)
Michigan (16)
Minnesota (10)
New Hampshire (4)
Pennsylvania (20)
Virginia (13)

That's where Karl Rove says getting to 270 is "going to be awfully hard to do."

rcp has it 200-164 pre tossups.

Old 09-18-2016, 05:16 PM

7,588 posts, read 6,623,138 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
Gates is widely viewed by persons of all political stripes as one of, if not the most, the most honest and respected government leaders in recent US history. Trump's attacks don't change that one whit, they only blow back on Trump.
True, but only to an extent. Most people who are voting for Trump don't listen to anyone but Trump, so if Trump says Gates is the antichrist Trump fans will all jump up and screech "antichrist!!! antichrist!! antichrist!!! praise Donald!!!" Hell, if Trump went on TV tomorrow and proclaimed that Christ was the antichrist, it would be the end of christianity in America. Every one of his fans would convert to Satanism and blame Hillary for tricking them into believing in Jesus.

I think the only people who will turn against Trump for these sorts of things are the undecideds, and I'm really not sure how many of them there really are at this point. I'm not sure how much this will hurt his numbers, but hopefully I'm wrong.

Old 09-18-2016, 05:43 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,526,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. In-Between View Post
I think the only people who will turn against Trump for these sorts of things are the undecideds, and I'm really not sure how many of them there really are at this point. I'm not sure how much this will hurt his numbers, but hopefully I'm wrong.
When I said it would only blowback on Trump, I wasn't thinking of voters but rather of Gates' prestige among and friendships with members and leaders of congress, state, defense, intelligence, etc.

Old 09-18-2016, 05:50 PM

7,588 posts, read 6,623,138 times
Oh, OK, I see. Sorry. But in that case, it's hard to imagine how any of those people could possibly have a worse opinion of Trump than they already do.

Old 09-18-2016, 05:51 PM

39,075 posts, read 51,199,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
When I said it would only blowback on Trump, I wasn't thinking of voters but rather of Gates' prestige among and friendships with members and leaders of congress, state, defense, intelligence, etc.
It continues to amaze me that so many prominent Republicans are just sitting silently by while Trump drags the reputations of them and their friends through the mud. Why don't people like the Bushes (GW and Dad) speak up, endorse Clinton or encourage people to just not vote for a man who shows such disrespect for men and women who have labored in service to the country for their entire lives? This is truly party over country and it is pathetic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections