Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2016, 11:47 AM

7,783 posts, read 6,081,036 times

Advertisements

[quote=don1945;45033666]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzincat View Post
Most economists judge the state of the economy using GDP. If the result of the past 7.5 years continue to the end of January 2017, Obama will have the distinction of having the worst growth in the history of the nation for as long as those figures have been tracked.

Stop basing all your decisions on "experts" and open up your own two eyes and your own mind. I don't need some expert to tell me things are not 100% better than they were. I can see it all around me, and you should be able to see it too.

Don
No doubt there are some pockets of the country who are doing better on a personal level. If you are in such a pocket good for you. But the overall economy of the US is critical for long term survival of the country, not just your neighborhood. Where will you be when the 20T debt comes due?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-06-2016, 11:48 AM

7,783 posts, read 6,081,036 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
Hear! Hear!

To those who say we should have just ridden it out, these things come and go in cycles, ask your 90 y/o neighbors about the Great Depression and how much worse it really could have been.

Lot still to be fixed. Lot of people who believe they should be doing better. Lot of work to do.
From what I have seen written, if FDR had kept his mitts off the economy the recovery would have been much faster back then.

Old 08-06-2016, 12:00 PM

4,176 posts, read 6,332,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cruzincat View Post
Most economists judge the state of the economy using GDP. If the result of the past 7.5 years continue to the end of January 2017, Obama will have the distinction of having the worst growth in the history of the nation for as long as those figures have been tracked.

But then, there's always GW to blame...

The average GDP growth this century so far(~1.75%), is half of what it was (~3.4%) for the last two decades of the last century. Obama's time has seen just a little over 1% gain in GDP, so that means Bush's has to be over 2%. And the recession occurred during Bush's presidency. Obama is supposed be the the recovery president?
Did you see the analysis by Paul Bedard from Monday (link below)? The Obama 'recovery' has been catastrophic. Peter Schiff likes to say 'If this is the recovery, how bad will the recession be?'

You're right that the sina qua non to an improvement is in economic growth, traditionally measured by GDP growth. It's awful now and will continue to be awful under Hillary Clinton, no ifs and or butts about it. If we really wanted economic growth, we'd support economic policies of people like Rand Paul or Ted Cruz. Trump will be releasing his revised tax plan next week. It'll be better than Hillary's (not saying much) but may not be as pro-growth as I would like.

Report: Worst economic recovery since 1930s, salaries fall $17,000 short | Washington Examiner

Old 08-06-2016, 12:02 PM

2,007 posts, read 1,274,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
WHAT?????? WHAT??????? You are correct on the first two points........Bill did have the economy is good shape, and Bush did put it into the toilet, HOWEVER, Obama has improved the economy greatly. Probably you have not read the statistics on where we are today vs 8 years ago, but all you have to do is look around you to see that the economy is SO much better than it was.

Instead of just thinking you know something, do some actual research before you make statements like "Obama has not improved it in 8 years." That is so very incorrect that it simply shows you do not know what you are talking about.

But I think it makes some people feel better to just throw out unfounded statements to bolster they own beliefs.

Don
I would love to see the glowing economic figures you talk about.

For now, we have the following undeniable truths :

National debt ballooned from 10trillion to 19trillion from 2008 -2016

Food stamps participation increased by 70% since 2008. Approx 45 million Americans now on food stamps.

Lowest labor participation rate since 1978

GDP growth of 1.2% for this year . No president in modern history has achieved anything under 2.5% for any year.

Fluctuating figures on jobs created. A figure for 38,000 for May. Then a "magic" increase of 178,000 for June and 225,000 for July.

See the problem with you Don is this, and you know we probably share a similar middle class status as of now , maybe working in a decent enough job and doing alright in general. For me, I allow myself to look around and see how exactly we are doing in our economy. You know, things like the increasing number of homeless people, the longer lines of poor people applying for food stamps, the countless accounts of those able bodied people giving up on ever finding a job, Black people in worst economic conditions since Obama came to power. The list goes on and on . Again for me, I allow myself to look around and see what is really happening. Out of a sense of decency and fair play, not just listening to some press conference and nodding in gleeful agreement , that things are fine. Just because they maybe be alright for most middle class people , does not mean it is the same for everyone.

A society can only be judged by how it treats those unfortunate members. In Obama's time , things have gotten seriously worse for those on the lower rungs. Do not forget that.

Old 08-06-2016, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIS123 View Post
Did you see the analysis by Paul Bedard from Monday (link below)? The Obama 'recovery' has been catastrophic. Peter Schiff likes to say 'If this is the recovery, how bad will the recession be?'

You're right that the sina qua non to an improvement is in economic growth, traditionally measured by GDP growth. It's awful now and will continue to be awful under Hillary Clinton, no ifs and or butts about it. If we really wanted economic growth, we'd support economic policies of people like Rand Paul or Ted Cruz. Trump will be releasing his revised tax plan next week. It'll be better than Hillary's (not saying much) but may not be as pro-growth as I would like.

Report: Worst economic recovery since 1930s, salaries fall $17,000 short | Washington Examiner
Really the only reason Obama has been forgiven for such God awful economic figures is his own gift at the spin and oratory like no other. All talk , all talk and big smooth talk. The man can cajole and charm his way out of anything. In his own mind , there is nothing wrong. A cerebral and bookish man. Whatever is in his heart , he elects to ignore.

One thing I admire about Trump in electing his economic team is overlooking academia in lieu of business leaders with real experience. That old adage , those who can do , those who can't teach comes to mind and not a moment too soon for the economy we find ourselves in now.

We just can't go on with this level of anemic economic growth for much longer. It is this very stagnation of wealth created across the broad spectrum of the economy in general which will accelerate the rise of associated problems in the form of higher unemployment, lowers wages, more outsourcing, higher house prices as only the top 20% compete to purchase, higher crime and so on.

Old 08-06-2016, 12:28 PM

4,176 posts, read 6,332,598 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scirocco View Post
Really the only reason Obama has been forgiven for such God awful economic figures is his own gift at the spin and oratory like no other. All talk , all talk and big smooth talk. The man can cajole and charm his way out of anything. In his own mind , there is nothing wrong. A cerebral and bookish man. Whatever is in his heart , he elects to ignore.

One thing I admire about Trump in electing his economic team is overlooking academia in lieu of business leaders with real experience. That old adage , those who can do , those who can't teach comes to mind and not a moment too soon for the economy we find ourselves in now.

We just can't go on with this level of anemic economic growth for much longer. It is this very stagnation of wealth created across the broad spectrum of the economy in general which will accelerate the rise of associated problems in the form of higher unemployment, lowers wages, more outsourcing, higher house prices as only the top 20% compete to purchase, higher crime and so on.
I'd posit that it is the media who is responsible for Obama's insanely-high approval ratings (in light of the catastrophe he is responsible for). Media has Freedom of the Press so it can keep an eye on the government and allows us to be informed while we're busy leading our lives. The media has however been derelict in its duty which is why he is so popular. If I worked longer hours and/or had a family, I wouldn't have time to be read so much and may be in a position where the mainstream media was my sole information source. This is the case with tens of millions of people so they are misinformed.

Old 08-06-2016, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LIS123 View Post
I'd posit that it is the media who is responsible for Obama's insanely-high approval ratings (in light of the catastrophe he is responsible for). Media has Freedom of the Press so it can keep an eye on the government and allows us to be informed while we're busy leading our lives. The media has however been derelict in its duty which is why he is so popular. If I worked longer hours and/or had a family, I wouldn't have time to be read so much and may be in a position where the mainstream media was my sole information source. This is the case with tens of millions of people so they are misinformed.
I agree. Interestingly, one of the new developments in this election cycle in particular is how the MSM has come under intense scrutiny like never before. As so they should given the unabashed bias and management of facts to fit a politically driven narrative. The insult to our collective intelligence has been a step too far.

For years, their job was somewhat easy given the purported lower attention span of many Americans. So in effect , feed them a news story , they will never think about it much, hit them again with something to awe and shock them and before you know it , they will be waiting for the next piece of "fast food" news to be served up to them. Like our stomachs are not designed for processed foods for maximum efficiency, similarly our brains can not live on processed news. Both are convenient in the moment but detrimental to our health in the long term.

Old 08-06-2016, 12:59 PM

19,719 posts, read 16,828,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bodyforlife99 View Post
You can't convince anyone until you actually attempt to answer the question. Exactly what did Obama have to do with anything you just listed? No need to repeat anything. You've done nothing whatsoever to answer that question.

Uh, maybe being our President ! If it had gone badly, you guys would sure be blaming him for that, so why not be a big enough man to admit when he did something right ? None of this recovery happened without his involvement. It starts at that desk.

But, that is right, you just prefer to say negative things, just like your immortal leader. And you wonder why people are turning on Trump left and right.

As much as some of you hate it, a lot of us see the good in America and are hopeful and positive. Strange concept, isn't that ? Personally, I think things are great today, and even getting better.

Don

Old 08-06-2016, 01:01 PM

34,300 posts, read 15,640,522 times
Remember crooked Hillary queen of corruption embraced Obama at the DNC. She wants to continue his policy's and they both have claimed that the GOP is the enemy. ISIS is their baby and they worked together to create it and now paid 400 million in cash like a dirty drug deal in the middle of the night to the largest state sponsor of terrorism.
Got to buy the baby new shoes, and a little ammo too, so they run around the world killing infidels.

Old 08-06-2016, 01:02 PM

1,099 posts, read 900,846 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
Uh, maybe being our President ! If it had gone badly, you guys would sure be blaming him for that, so why not be a big enough man to admit when he did something right ? None of this recovery happened without his involvement. It starts at that desk.

But, that is right, you just prefer to say negative things, just like your immortal leader. And you wonder why people are turning on Trump left and right.

As much as some of you hate it, a lot of us see the good in America and are hopeful and positive. Strange concept, isn't that ? Personally, I think things are great today, and even getting better.

Don
I wasn't aware asking a question (which you continue to dodge) was being negative. So being our President and living in the White House made all this possible, huh? Impressive. Let me and everyone else here know when you get some specifics on what he did to make this possible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections