Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-06-2016, 03:59 PM

491 posts, read 319,655 times

Advertisements

There's an excellent article in the National Review concerning the fact that Donald Trump will never "pivot" into a serious general election candidate:

Donald Trump

Because of his disgusting behavior, it's long past time for the GOP establishment to distance themselves from Trump. The most important thing for the Republicans--at this stage in the campaign--is to protect their House majority (which is in serious jeopardy) and keep the number of Senate losses to a minimum.

And before I hear the endless cries from the Trumpettes that the GOP leadership is a bunch of RINOs, I just want to say that such talk makes me want to throw up. The real RINO is Trump himself, who has bankrolled past Clinton campaigns (and may possibly be running as a Clinton plant) and who is playing his voters for fools.

Old 08-06-2016, 04:07 PM

830 posts, read 684,613 times
Trump Train:

Trump's Tweets

Old 08-06-2016, 04:14 PM

1,045 posts, read 2,657,847 times
First off, I am a former democrat supporting Trump. Even if he loses, I'm still leaving the democratic party. So it's not just about Trump for me.

I think if Trump would pick his battles more wisely and stop getting so deep in the weeds in these needless controversies ... and focus on Hillary, he would still have a shot at this (although it would still be a long shot at this point). His biggest weakness is his pride/ego. Right now, I believe he will be destroyed on election day if he keeps up what he is doing. That I agree with for sure.

I'm going to wait and see what the polls look like in late October. If he's still getting destroyed by then, then I'll probably switch my vote to Gary Johnson instead. I think having a 3rd party emerge is way past overdue anyway. I agree with you though that Trump isn't a true conservative but rather a populist.

Old 08-06-2016, 04:17 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,279,947 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caldus View Post
First off, I am a former democrat supporting Trump. Even if he loses, I'm still leaving the democratic party. So it's not just about Trump for me.

I think if Trump would pick his battles more wisely and stop getting so deep in the weeds in these needless controversies ... and focus on Hillary, he would still have a shot at this (although it would still be a long shot at this point). His biggest weakness is his pride/ego. Right now, I believe he will be destroyed on election day if he keeps up what he is doing. That I agree with for sure.

I'm going to wait and see what the polls look like in late October. If he's still getting destroyed by then, then I'll probably switch my vote to Gary Johnson instead. I think having a 3rd party emerge is way past overdue anyway. I agree with you though that Trump isn't a true conservative but rather a populist.
You don't even have to wait that long. The leader in the polls by the end of August always wins the popular vote.

Old 08-06-2016, 04:19 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,279,947 times
He isn't going to pivot. Give him a few weeks and he will be back in the saddle. He barely pivoted yesterday and kept going off script.

Old 08-06-2016, 04:26 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,259,424 times
Yes, even his friends are abandoning him (and make no mistake--Mika is a friend who knows him well).

"...Speaking to the camera, she implored Republican Congressional leaders like Paul Ryan in the House of Representatives and Mitch McConnell in the Senate to renounce their continuing support of Trump, whose campaign is, at least in part, anti-Muslim and anti-immigrant..."

Minus Joe, ‘Morning Mika’ Launches Scathing Attack on Donald Trump | Observer

MSNBC’s Mika Brzezinski begs Trump supporters to wake up: ‘This is a scam’

Trump's five big friends in the media | Washington Examiner

Old 08-06-2016, 04:28 PM

6,977 posts, read 5,708,706 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~HecateWhisperCat~ View Post
He isn't going to pivot. Give him a few weeks and he will be back in the saddle. He barely pivoted yesterday and kept going off script.
yes, we want our politicians to read from the monitor, read scripts written by other people, just what we want, a calm robot.

Old 08-06-2016, 04:33 PM

12,970 posts, read 9,654,415 times
He is still name calling though, he called her a monster and the devil on yesterday.

Old 08-06-2016, 04:36 PM

1,045 posts, read 2,657,847 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wall st kid View Post
yes, we want our politicians to read from the monitor, read scripts written by other people, just what we want, a calm robot.
Did you see Hillary at the press conference she gave the other day? She looked like I would like if I had to talk to my coworkers at length about some boring topic, lol. Why the long face? Then I watched Trump at a rally and you have to admit guy knows how to work a crowd. He engages them and seems to enjoy people. He has charisma. It's too bad he creates so many of his own problems.

Old 08-06-2016, 04:38 PM

4,078 posts, read 2,339,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wall st kid View Post
Most every great speaker thru history has read from a prompter or notes and many of those speeches were written by speechwriters. When you have someone who doesn't do that, you get people who sound like insane buffoons with ADD like Trump.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections