Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2016, 09:53 AM

12,772 posts, read 7,972,696 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattks View Post
In the fairtax that was introduced as a bill, it includes rent in the sales tax. Johnson supported that fairtax, but has put language on his website that implies that he would not tax rent.

That's what he replied before was his main problem with the fairtax.

But I think Johnson uses the words consumption tax for a reason, I don't think he would like to tax rent, but he has never said so directly.
Correct, he doesn't say rent specifically but says "basic family necessities" would be excluded.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2016, 09:59 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,521,957 times
Lightbulb This is the first time in 50+ years a 3rd party has a chance...

... to finish 3rd.

Old 08-18-2016, 10:06 AM

12,772 posts, read 7,972,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
... to finish 3rd.
They finished 3rd in 2012, move along this thread is for serious conversation.

Old 08-18-2016, 10:29 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,521,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
They finished 3rd in 2012, move along this thread is for serious conversation.
Then maybe they can make it to 3rd place twice in a row.

Just think of the implications!

Old 08-18-2016, 11:18 AM

4,668 posts, read 3,895,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listener2307 View Post
Taxing rent seems to be beyond The Pale to me. Although it is consistent with all the other provisions in the Fair Tax plan, it puts the onus on us landlords to collect and forward the tax money. Same thing with the kid you pay to mow your yard.

But it could all be worked out. My guess is that they would leave that provision in the original bill so that they have something to offer Democrats when the Republicans ask for support across the aisle.
Hopefully a major bill will not be shoved through with only one party's support, the way Obamacare was.
Let me clarify that I don't support taxing rent and I do not believe that will ever happen, with or without Johnson.

Old 08-18-2016, 01:04 PM

4,078 posts, read 2,337,759 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boneyard1962 View Post
The only chance for a third party win is if Hillary or Trump drop from the race. What we need is for people to start voting for change, rather than voting status quo . The only way to make the Dems and GOP change is to threaten their future.
Vote 3rd party rather than for the lessor of evils.
Incorrect. All Johnson needs to do is pick off 6-8 small states that add up to anywhere from 32-38 electoral votes. States that hate both Trump and Hillary, big government but love their guns. States like Alaska, Montana, Wyoming, Idaho, Utah and of course the state he governed and is still very popular, New Mexico...In a close election those 32-38 electoral votes become massive and he could prevent either Trump or Hillary from hitting 270. Then of course it goes to the Republican majority House where all bets would be off. They would have to choose between the 3. No way in hell they nominate Hillary, Republican leadership hates Trump so....hello President Johnson.

Old 08-18-2016, 01:07 PM

5,705 posts, read 3,669,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimj View Post
I fully believe if there ever was a time when a 3rd party has a chance it's THIS ELECTION CYCLE.
The Libertarian Party could have a serious shot if they play it right and persuade some serious money to jump on board (aka Koch brothers et al).

People don't like Trump/Clinton for obvious reasons. Both have SERIOUS defects that could damage this nation to its core. One is a proven CROOK,LIAR and CHEAT, the other is well, Trump.
Why not elect two governors who did well for their respective states and don't have all the baggage that Clinton/Trump have?

Why not elect someone who's actually got experience in running an efficient government and has pretty much DONE everything Clinton/Trump SAY they will do?

Could they REALLY be any worse than what we've had for the last 16 years or who the media sycophants say we'll be getting next?
Says who?

Old 08-18-2016, 03:16 PM

25,555 posts, read 17,256,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dexter75 View Post
Incorrect. All Johnson needs to do is pick off 6-8 small states that add up to anywhere from 32-38 electoral votes. States that hate both Trump and Hillary, big government but love their guns. States like Alaska, Montana, Wyoming, Idaho, Utah and of course the state he governed and is still very popular, New Mexico...In a close election those 32-38 electoral votes become massive and he could prevent either Trump or Hillary from hitting 270. Then of course it goes to the Republican majority House where all bets would be off. They would have to choose between the 3. No way in hell they nominate Hillary, Republican leadership hates Trump so....hello President Johnson.
Yeah. That's the way I see it.

Just a note, though: The House does not nominate the president when there is no winner. They choose him.

Old 08-18-2016, 03:38 PM

1,824 posts, read 1,720,252 times
Last time he ran as a Republican, but they kept him out of most polls and debates. So when they dumped him, he dumped them and ran as Libertarian Party. Them Rep's made him collect signatures from all 50 states & that used up their remaining time & money. He had no PACs, either.

Now they have multiple PACs with millions & no need to change parties. Plus they are getting the most free advertising of any Libertarian before. They have a slight chance of beating Clinton & Trump. Unexpected events in next month may make that more than a slight chance.

You've probably seen posts GOP wants to dump Trump & Clinton might be in prison or w/health problems.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old Gringo View Post
... to finish 3rd.

Old 08-18-2016, 03:40 PM

27,119 posts, read 15,300,057 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
2016:
"I fully believe if there ever was a time when a 3rd party has a chance it's THIS ELECTION CYCLE."

2012:
"I fully believe if there ever was a time when a 3rd party has a chance it's THIS ELECTION CYCLE."

2008:

2004:

2000:

etc.......

It really doesn't matter how badly you want there to be a third-party with power. It really doesn't matter how much you think this would be a panacea of some sort. It's not some amazing coincidence that every successful third-party in American history has either quickly faded back into obscurity, or immediately replaced one of the two major parties - to become just another one of the pair of major parties occupying the two slots on the American political axis.

Duverger's Law: Why American Third Parties are Hopless Fantasies

THird Partys must start much earlier if they ever want a chance.

This year the are still just a distraction, nothing more.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections