Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2008, 12:09 AM

9,725 posts, read 15,171,221 times

Advertisements

Here's another really good one:

theTrumpet.com

Quote:
Obama’s success also reveals a widespread ignorance of what comprises effective leadership, let alone true statesmanship. It reveals an electorate unwilling to take the time to investigate, think, analyze and judge based on reality and not on emotion. On Saturday, the National Post quoted one woman at a rally saying, “Are you kidding me? I’d walk over hot coals to vote for this man. I mean, oh, he’s just … he’s a man that can change not our country, but the world.” This is but a reflection of a shallow mind that prefers vague generalities and promises of change over real facts and that is unable, even unwilling, to think, analyze and judge based on cold, hard reality.
This part here is really funny:

Quote:
In some circles, Barack Obama has been hailed as an American messiah. Some have, unbelievably, even paralleled the junior senator with Jesus Christ.

What an unbelievably inane comparison! Jesus Christ was an icon of real, tangible, proven hope in a real, tangible future of unbelievable proportions—literally out of this world. After all, He was the literal Son of Almighty God!

Jesus Christ didn’t just preach a visionary, hope-filled message to His followers; He lived it, and He backed rhetoric with substance. He performed spectacular miracles: He healed the sick, He cast out demons, He turned water into wine, He multiplied a handful of bread and fishes to feed thousands, and the list goes on. The gospel message, as taught by Christ, was practical—it took into account reality and gave people real-life solutions, promising them the chance to fulfill their incredible human potential.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-21-2008, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaded View Post
All news outlets will start to run stories as these because now they see Obama as the frontrunner...they attacked Hillary early on when she was believed to be the frontrunner.

This is an Op-ed...an opinion! It's not from a staff reporter. It is not a factual article; it is an opinion of ONE individual. Who cares what this guy thinks?
That Op-ed piece was written by a guy who is on "Meet the Press" every week on TV.

If you thought Obama was vetted (because he sure seemed to think he had been by the Clinton campaign), you ain't seen nothing yet! Let the vetting begin!! It's high time people start questioning what Mr. Obama is all about, really.

Old 02-21-2008, 12:21 AM

1,851 posts, read 3,399,568 times
Question Who Cares!

Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post
That Op-ed piece was written by a guy who is on "Meet the Press" every week on TV.

As if being on Meet the Press makes him an authority on anything. Period. What Kool-Aid are you drinking?

If you thought Obama was vetted (because he sure seemed to think he had been by the Clinton campaign), you ain't seen nothing yet! Let the vetting begin!! It's high time people start questioning what Mr. Obama is all about, really.
I don't care about the vetting! Bring it ON! Please, bring it!

Rebuplicans are out in 2008. Start buying your Kleenex now.

Caroline Kennedy - A President Like My Father

Boston Globe - Keys to Victory

This one is good...it explains these recent attacks on Obama
"...Just Words" (http://www.newsday.com/news/opinion/ny-vpsnak205584072feb20,0,4004550.story - broken link)

You're not the only one who can find links .

Last edited by Jaded; 02-21-2008 at 12:50 AM..

Old 02-21-2008, 12:24 AM

Quote:

Well, thank god I won't be out because I'm a Democrat -- but I will be voting for McCain!

Old 02-21-2008, 12:34 AM

8,064 posts, read 18,010,195 times
Quote:
The NY Times printed that article to be balanced; they also ran a story about McCain's alleged affair with a female lobbyist. All news outlets will start to run stories as these because now they see Obama as the frontrunner...they attacked Hillary early on when she was believed to be the frontrunner.

This is an Op-ed...an opinion! It's not from a staff reporter. It is not a factual article; it is an opinion of ONE individual. Who cares what this guy thinks? There is no "buyers remorse." Hillary is losing, and if you don't want to vote for Obama, then don't. It's really that simple.

There is no "comma" or "fever." Just another Hillary supporter who's feeling embarrassed and a bit ill by Obama's overwhelmingly defeat of her in these last 10 primaries/caucuses.
I am NOT embarrassed. My state hasn't even held its primary yet and I will be volunteering for Hillary in the next two weeks. I will support her until the end and then sit back and enjoy watching how the Repubs. rake Obama over the coals. I'm not going to weep and faint when the campaign ends and Hillary won't be on my TV screen anymore.

I'm a practical gal and I support practical politicians. That's right -- POLITICIANS. That's what they are. All of them. They're not rock stars, motivational speakers, saviors or gurus. We elect them to lead the country and not to provide us with personal inspiration. If you enjoy listening to Obama preach and chant, go for it. I have better things to listen to.

But I admit that I do enjoy watching Obama supporters get all upset when others don't buy the hyperbole. I expect it will be really entertaining when y'all realize he's just a politician after all, nothing special, certainly not a Titan or other archetypal figure.

Oh, and you're wrong about Op.Ed. pieces in major newspapers. They're written by journalists and most are syndicated.

Old 02-21-2008, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Well, thank god I won't be out because I'm a Democrat -- but I will be voting for McCain!
Be my guest.

Old 02-21-2008, 01:02 AM

Arrow No, you're wrong my friend...again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by teatime View Post
I am NOT embarrassed. My state hasn't even held its primary yet and I will be volunteering for Hillary in the next two weeks. I will support her until the end and then sit back and enjoy watching how the Repubs. rake Obama over the coals. I'm not going to weep and faint when the campaign ends and Hillary won't be on my TV screen anymore.

I'm a practical gal and I support practical politicians. That's right -- POLITICIANS. That's what they are. All of them. They're not rock stars, motivational speakers, saviors or gurus. We elect them to lead the country and not to provide us with personal inspiration. If you enjoy listening to Obama preach and chant, go for it. I have better things to listen to.

But I admit that I do enjoy watching Obama supporters get all upset when others don't buy the hyperbole. I expect it will be really entertaining when y'all realize he's just a politician after all, nothing special, certainly not a Titan or other archetypal figure.

Oh, and you're wrong about Op.Ed. pieces in major newspapers. They're written by journalists and most are syndicated.
Op Ed pieces are not always written by journalist. You are so blinded by your own lack of knowledge that it now pains me to even read your posts.

You are so uncomfortable with your world being disrupted that you will see and hear anything that conforms to your status quo. If it doesn't...watch out!

I truly hope you don't rant and rave as you do here in public. What you don't know is hurting you...and it's pretty obvious that you live in the stone ages.

I never said Obama wasn't a politician. I just happen to agree with him more than Hillary.

Your whole theory of him being "destroyed" by the Republicans just shows how narrow-minded you are and how closed-minded you are to real change. Take it for what it's worth...I could care less and am actually going to stop reading this insulting filth that you and others are posting about him. I've made up my mind as you have yours.

I will be back after March 4th however; win or lose in Texas...Obama will get the nomination from the DNC, so I guess you can pre-fill you ballott for McCain and enjoy another 100 years of war in Iraq!

Good grief it's hard trying to herd cats!

Old 02-21-2008, 01:16 AM

Quote:

Caroline Kennedy - A President Like My Father
Now this link is funny! On one of the links I posted, I guess someone found lines Obama took from Ted Sorenson who was JFK's speechwriter.

Caroline wrote her piece before this "Copycat-gate" started so she wouldn't have known about that -- but I wonder how she would feel about it now?

Oops! Reading other articles, it appears Ted Sorenson is writing speeches for Obama so I guess no one would care!

Last edited by UB50; 02-21-2008 at 01:25 AM.. Reason: added last line

Old 02-21-2008, 01:17 AM

Quote:
Op Ed pieces are not always written by journalist. You are so blinded by your own lack of knowledge that it now pains me to even read your posts.

You are so uncomfortable with your world being disrupted that you will see and hear anything that conforms to your status quo. If it doesn't...watch out!

I truly hope you don't rant and rave as you do here in public. What you don't know is hurting you...and it's pretty obvious that you live in the stone ages.

I never said Obama wasn't a politician. I just happen to agree with him more than Hillary.

Your whole theory of him being "destroyed" by the Republicans just shows how narrow-minded you are and how closed-minded you are to real change. Take it for what it's worth...I could care less and am actually going to stop reading this insulting filth that you and others are posting about him. I've made up my mind as you have yours.

I will be back after March 4th however; win or lose in Texas...Obama will get the nomination from the DNC, so I guess you can pre-fill you ballott for McCain and enjoy another 100 years of war in Iraq!

Good grief it's hard trying to herd cats!
Uh, I WAS an editor for 12 years before I left the biz to teach. The Op. Ed. page at every newspaper I worked for was dedicated to syndicated columns or opposing views from another editor. Very occasionally, an expert in the community might write a guest column on his or her specialty, such as a Ph.D. from the local university. But those weren't frequent.

I don't have any "theories" about the Republican destruction machine. It's simply part of the political fun. Following politics is like playing a real-life game of Stratego. I'm sorry you don't enjoy playing! We enjoy playing with you!

Apparently, you could care less because here you are! (The correct phrase is "I couldn't care less," but perhaps your slip was Freudian.) DO stay! It's such fun for us "cats" to watch your attempts to catch us!

Old 02-21-2008, 01:19 AM

Quote:
Now this link is funny! On one of the links I posted, I guess someone found lines Obama took from Ted Sorenson who was JFK's speechwriter.

Caroline wrote her piece before this "Copycat-gate" started so she wouldn't have known about that -- but I wonder how she would feel about it now?
Oh, geez, there's a GREAT piece linked from the National Review about the high expectations and every Dem. comparing himself to JFK. Shall I post the link?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections