Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-12-2016, 12:33 AM

7,588 posts, read 6,622,243 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mack Knife View Post
Maybe you should consider that the polls have been wrong many times before.

Polls taken in August have been very inaccurate in the past. Take a look.

This being such a unique election, putting too much credence into August polls seems strange.
Glad to. Post up some examples, and let's see 'em. Very inaccurate polls in August, and a significant number of them please.

Old 08-12-2016, 12:36 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,077,144 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ace Rothstein View Post
1. Why?
Because economic theories that welfare, stimulates economies is complete bull ****..
Quote:
2. I'm aware of that. You're saying Clinton won't by as much because of the same reasons though. Obama actually outperformed the polls.
3. I do not think there is much excitement around Clinton but I think there are a lot few Republicans and Independents supporting Trump than there were Romney.
At the end of the day, Republicans will bite their tongue and vote for Trump out of shear hatred for Clinton. Like I said, there wont be enough of it to win in the end..

Its ridiculous we're down to a candidate thats been a complete jackass, vs one as corrupt as possible.

Old 08-12-2016, 03:59 AM

14,204 posts, read 12,273,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bureaucat View Post
Could be. The only stretch to me is Georgia.

It's going to interesting to see if the rural/suburban splits are more pronounced this year than usual. Trump is outperforming Mitt in rural areas, but he's trailing what a Republican usually does in suburbia. It's basically the college/non-college gap transferred to a map. If Trump can't turn around his numbers with white college women, he's going to have to not only dominate the white non-college vote, but boost the turnout of non-college to almost historic levels, and since the percentage of votes cast by white non-college have shrunk in all by 1 election since 1980, that's one tall order.
Nate Cohn pointed out why they might be the case. Trump has a lot of room to grow with WWC voters in the north, but almost no room in the south. Mainly because the GOP already gets almost all of them already. However, since he is bleeding support among minorities and college educated voters it puts places like NC and GA into play.

Old 08-12-2016, 04:02 AM

14,204 posts, read 12,273,334 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
Nonsense.

I don't think there will be any landslides for either Hillary or Donald.

I can't see Georgia or North Carolina or Iowa going for Hillary. On the other hand I think she will carry the northeast, the upper mid-West and the Pacific coast.
North Carolina could go for her. Remember Obama won it and only lost it by two points the last time. I'm a little more skeptical about Georgia going in her direction though.

Old 08-12-2016, 05:43 AM

7,214 posts, read 9,389,787 times
I just saw a news report yesterday that said Trump has only one field office in the entire state of Florida. We're three months from the election, and Florida is a state that Trump has to win if he wants any chance.

He is going to lose in an electoral college landslide. Anecdotes don't mean anything. A lot of the pro-Trump rhetoric in this thread reminds me of the stuff we heard from Romney supporters in 2012 ("He's going to win...I can feel it in my bones!").

How many of you people are going to disappear from this forum by about 9 PM EST on election night, I wonder?

Old 08-12-2016, 07:17 AM

754 posts, read 485,704 times
Quote:
These are literally the same arguments that were used in 2012 for why Romney would win.
Obama was a far more popular and charismatic candidate than Hillary is, on a given election she would struggle to motivate millennial and minority turnout compared to Obama. The only reason why she might get away with it in this election is Trump will probably motivate her base for her because he's so god damn scary.

Old 08-12-2016, 07:45 AM

6,131 posts, read 7,981,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Patsfan20 View Post

The days will be brighter when the darkness of Hildabeast is defeated forever!
So, in four to eight years then?

Old 08-12-2016, 07:53 AM

1,598 posts, read 1,058,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SharpshooterTom View Post
Obama was a far more popular and charismatic candidate than Hillary is, on a given election she would struggle to motivate millennial and minority turnout compared to Obama. The only reason why she might get away with it in this election is Trump will probably motivate her base for her because he's so god damn scary.
and Trump doesn't seem bothered about a ground game - the voters will just come out
( see last paragraph of this )

Old 08-12-2016, 07:55 AM

4,876 posts, read 4,199,291 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clark Park View Post
Nonsense.

I don't think there will be any landslides for either Hillary or Donald.

This. Because of technology and a more "global" communications system, there will never be another landslide.

It doesn't matter though.

If it ends up being 52-48, the winner will declare a "landslide victory" or a "referendum".

If I remember correctly, dems said that Obama won by a landslide and that his election was a "referendum".

2008 the electoral votes were 52.9% to 45.7%
2012 the electoral votes were 51.1% to 47.2%

VERY close. Nowhere near a landslide or "referendum"

But enough for a win and for the other side to be ignored.

Old 08-12-2016, 08:05 AM

3,866 posts, read 4,076,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnp292 View Post
So, in four to eight years then?
She won't get in the White House........maybe as a guest I suppose, but I don't hink Trump would allow it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.