Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2008, 02:07 PM

413 posts, read 909,556 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyRockets View Post
I am just waiting to hear some more....

-- Transfer US troops to United Nations control.
-- Free tutition for illegals
-- Legalize drugs and use tax money to buy people needles
-- Taxpayer funded abortions for all.
-- Welfare for illegal aliens
-- Raise taxes on gasoline prices
-- Sign a permanent ban on oil drilling in Alaska
-- Federalize gun bans (except for all criminals)
-- UN Tax on "Poverty"
-- UN Tax on trade
-- UN gun bans
-- Completion of the North American Union
-- Full amnesty for the 20 million illegals in USA today and immediate start of chain migration
-- Government housing projects using Social Security funds
-- Homeless credit cards (accepted in all major booze retailers)
-- Higher taxes on the middle class after the rich move their funds over to the Cayman Islands and the US government is hungry for money and the almost-disappearing middle class will have to pay for the "taxes on the rich".
You're making things up again. Typical.

Hey, how are you coming on finding the part in that UN bill that would cede tax governance over US citizens to the UN? Any progress, or are you too busy listening to ( *checks radio schedule* ) G. Gordon Liddy and folding your tinfoil hat?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2008, 02:16 PM

8,882 posts, read 19,850,381 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burnt View Post
Of course, but shouldn't the local government, not the federal government, determine how to spend those transportation funds?
Technically speaking, they do to an extent. Local governments determine their transit needs, and apply for federal funding using strict guidelines set out by the FTA as to ridership estimates, local operating funding, land-use planning around stations/stops, and potential developments and tax increment financing zones (added recently). The feds don't come into a city like Chicago or San Diego and say "this is where we think a light rail line should go". You have to do a lot of studies and then apply for the funding, showing also that you can provide part of the funding yourself.

With all that being said, Bush has kept the transit portion of the FTA's funding at a paltry level, when more and more cities are clamoring to add and expand service. At a time when mass transit ridership is skyrocketing, and oil prices are now $100/barrel, it's hardly the time to let funding stay at just the rate of inflation. I'm hoping that Obama can allocate more funding for transit (and to repair roads and bridges).

$1.6 Billion allocated for 2008 is 1% of what we will spend in Iraq this year.

Old 02-20-2008, 03:01 PM

9,725 posts, read 15,168,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
<banging my head on the wall>
<banging my head on the wall>

Presidents can't do squat without Congressional approval. All these high falutant ideasof Obama's won't get passed without someone giving him the high sign in Congress.

And yes, thanks for point that out Magellan ... hey Obama-philes, what is his position on mass transit funding???
Actually, I believe I read somewhere that a president is in charge of our currency. So if Obama wants to print more and sign deals here and there, he is free to do that. No approval necessary.

Or is this wrong?

Old 02-20-2008, 03:20 PM

9,725 posts, read 15,168,897 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burnt View Post
You're making things up again. Typical.

Hey, how are you coming on finding the part in that UN bill that would cede tax governance over US citizens to the UN? Any progress, or are you too busy listening to ( *checks radio schedule* ) G. Gordon Liddy and folding your tinfoil hat?
Have you really read much about Obama before now?

There is a lot of information out there and a lot of the things you are calling "made up" is actually true -- though perhaps said in "softer" terms.

Did you ever read this Obama quote?

Quote:
He mostly told the union men what they wanted to hear. Then he said, “There’s nobody in this room who doesn’t believe in free trade,†which provoked a small recoil. These men were ardent protectionists. A little later, he said, with conviction, “I want India and China to succeedâ€â€”a sentiment not much heard in the outsourcing-battered heartland. He went on, however, to criticize Washington and Wall Street for not looking after American workers.

Later, I asked him if he wasn’t waving a red flag in front of labor by talking about free trade. “Look, those guys are all wearing Nike shoes and buying Pioneer stereos,†he said. “They don’t want the borders closed. They just don’t want their communities destroyed.â€
So, based on this -- does this go along with what you think he thinks about free trade and the borders? (You can read the whole story here: The Political Scene: The Candidate: The New Yorker )

Old 02-20-2008, 03:55 PM

8,064 posts, read 18,007,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillietta View Post
With the monthly $9 million we presently spend on Iraq.
Will you be rejecting the benefits of this?
Do you have any idea how much money, planning, and time it will take to withdraw from Iraq? If Obama wins, and starts working on it immediately, it MIGHT be accomplished by the time he's starting what will be a failed bid for re-election.

There will be precious little savings for a very long time and he would be strapping the country with paying for more government programs after Iraq is a memory.

Old 02-20-2008, 04:04 PM

17,764 posts, read 39,725,561 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by teatime View Post
Do you have any idea how much money, planning, and time it will take to withdraw from Iraq? If Obama wins, and starts working on it immediately, it MIGHT be accomplished by the time he's starting what will be a failed bid for re-election.

There will be precious little savings for a very long time and he would be strapping the country with paying for more government programs after Iraq is a memory.
But but but but ... all Obama has to do is sprinkle some fairy dust, close his eyes real hard and hope and hope and hope for change right?

Old 02-20-2008, 04:21 PM

5,080 posts, read 9,952,340 times
Humm.. destroyed by an Angry Republicant when he looses his temper and nukes Russia Or Destroyed by Adolescent dreamer, who has no clue..

Oh well I guess its Death one way Another.. so pick your poison.

Old 02-20-2008, 04:21 PM

8,064 posts, read 18,007,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by domergurl View Post
But but but but ... all Obama has to do is sprinkle some fairy dust, close his eyes real hard and hope and hope and hope for change right?
LOL, I was thinking something along those lines but sat on my hands instead.

Old 02-20-2008, 05:06 PM

1,266 posts, read 2,508,441 times
He's dangerous, very dangerous. The cat is out of the bag. Run the other way as fast as you can........

Old 02-20-2008, 05:45 PM

1,205 posts, read 1,854,531 times
Is that...bitterness I smell in the air? Anger? Check. Frustration? Expectations of defeat? Check and Check. Yup. *nods* Bitterness alright.

I completely understand, losing 10 primaries/caucuses in a row tends to leave a bitter aftertaste in ones mouth.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections