Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 08-13-2016, 11:01 AM

33,074 posts, read 12,328,151 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
I'm glad you are right up front about saying that Trump will violate the First Amendment! That is "the law" Trump would have to repeal to get rid of the separation of church and state. Funny how righties think the Constitution begins and ends with the Second Amendment.
Funny how the author of the post above ^^^^^ has no idea what he/she is talking about. Not a clue. The term 'separation of church and state' appears nowhere in the U.S. Constitution, nor in the debates leading up to ratification. That notion of a wall of separation comes from a letter that Thomas Jefferson sent to the Danbury Baptists Association in Danbury, CT. The text of the Establishment Clause of the First Amendment says "Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or abridging the free exercise thereof". This forbids an official establishment of religion, which is very different from the much looser, imprecise term 'separation of church and state'. The text of the Constitution only forbids government sponsorship and compulsion of religious exercise by individuals. It does not require separation of religion and religious persons from public affairs of state.

The notion of 'separation of church and state' is codified into U.S. law via a series of SCOTUS decisions over a 114 year period, but that didn't start until the Reynolds vs. United States decision in 1879, nine decades after the U.S. Constitution was ratified.

Old 08-13-2016, 11:14 AM

4,344 posts, read 5,784,490 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Taratova View Post
Christians know all about Trump and will still vote for him.. Why? He will protect the rights of Christians to say Merry Christmas. Trump will repeal the law that says a preacher cannot say anything political from the pulpit or he will lose his tax exempt status. Christians will vote for Trump .

Hillary is not for the rights of Christians. Not at all. She will stand with muslims faster than a Christian.. She of course has been bought by huge donations for Middle East countries.. she is not going to stop that bread and butter coming to her.
I have been in churches where the preachers did speak about the elections. I've got up and left those services when they endorsed a candidate from the pulpit. It's a big difference when you are endorsing a candidate and saying you are going to pray for them or who is in the elected government.

Quote:
Originally Posted by emm74 View Post
And Hillary is far more of devout and religious Christian than Trump can even imagine. This has been well documented and only a fool would attempt to pretend otherwise.
It is no one's place to judge as to who is more of a devout christian than the next guy. No one knows what happens behind closed doors...and after dating someone from church when I was younger that is a pretty scary sight.

I don't think he has to make much of a play for evangelicals. Many of them just don't care for Hillary.