Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2016, 08:01 AM

4,428 posts, read 6,506,556 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
No, the obvious solution for me is to volunteer hard for progressive Congressional candidates. Alan Grayson, Russ Feingold, Zephyr Teachout and Paul Clements are just some of the great progressives we need in Congress.

You complain about Debbie Wasserman Schulz. Tim Canova is a Bernie supporter running against her in the 23rd district. Anyone can phonebank for him. It takes 5 minutes to prepare and start phonebanking. Why not do it?

https://timcanova.com/phonebank/
Mike I believe you said you were going to vote for the Green Party this time around. Yes?

So what's your plans in your dealing with the Green Party? Also if the party does much better than usual in this election cycle....do you think they will finally start running people for congressional seats? In essence trying to actually build a power base.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2016, 08:04 AM

23,968 posts, read 15,063,270 times
Bernie is not a Democrat. Nobody with a brain expected him to defeat Clinton.

Bernie did not sell out. I'm surprised the Ds let him run in their party.

He got a ton of money. He can still do anything he pleases to continue his movement.

If his supporters feel abandoned or let down it is because they are ignorant of the process, Bernie didn't let anybody down.

Old 08-16-2016, 08:28 AM

14,221 posts, read 6,955,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baystater View Post
Mike I believe you said you were going to vote for the Green Party this time around. Yes?

So what's your plans in your dealing with the Green Party? Also if the party does much better than usual in this election cycle....do you think they will finally start running people for congressional seats? In essence trying to actually build a power base.
I dont know if I'lll vote Green or Hillary. Its a big uphill battle for the Green Party in the current electoral system. What we need to do is change the electoral system. I think what fairvote.org is doing is essential to ensure that we get out of the two-party duopoly which restricts choices and voices in the American democracy. Ranked choice voting will be on the ballot as citizens ballot initiative in Maine, which will be the first state to implement ranked choice voting state-wide if it passes. The way I see it, we must heavily support progressive down-ballot candidates while at the same time focus on changing the electoral process and the campaign finance system, which grassroots organizations like www.fairvote.org and www.represent.us do.

Maine Voices: Ranked-choice voting passes every test of true democracy - The Portland Press Herald / Maine Sunday Telegram

Reform 2020 Agenda - FairVote

Old 08-16-2016, 08:56 AM

4,428 posts, read 6,506,556 times
Quote:
I dont know if I'lll vote Green or Hillary. Its a big uphill battle for the Green Party in the current electoral system. What we need to do is change the electoral system. I think what fairvote.org is doing is essential to ensure that we get out of the two-party duopoly which restricts choices and voices in the American democracy. Ranked choice voting will be on the ballot as citizens ballot initiative in Maine, which will be the first state to implement ranked choice voting state-wide if it passes. The way I see it, we must heavily support progressive down-ballot candidates while at the same time focus on changing the electoral process and the campaign finance system, which grassroots organizations like FairVote and www.represent.us do.

Maine Voices: Ranked-choice voting passes every test of true democracy - The Portland Press Herald / Maine Sunday Telegram

Reform 2020 Agenda - FairVote
Interesting. If I remember correct you have not been the biggest supporter of Hillary in the past. What has changed to make you consider her? And/or what are the reasons to Drive you to vote for her?

Old 08-16-2016, 08:59 AM

14,669 posts, read 14,631,326 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post

He got a ton of money. He can still do anything he pleases to continue his movement.

If his supporters feel abandoned or let down it is because they are ignorant of the process, Bernie didn't let anybody down.
Exactly right. The movement is still going, and Bernie now has more sway to get things going on the Senate and on the ground.

Old 08-16-2016, 09:03 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,692,117 times
Quote:
No, the obvious solution for me is to volunteer hard for progressive Congressional candidates. Alan Grayson, Russ Feingold, Zephyr Teachout and Paul Clements are just some of the great progressives we need in Congress.

You complain about Debbie Wasserman Schulz. Tim Canova is a Bernie supporter running against her in the 23rd district. Anyone can phonebank for him. It takes 5 minutes to prepare and start phonebanking. Why not do it?

https://timcanova.com/phonebank/
This is exactly what needs to happen now.

Too much emphasis on the presidential race and not enough on the down ballot choices.
It is critically important for people to vote for the candidate that best represents their beliefs on the local level.
Otherwise, nothing will change.

Old 08-16-2016, 09:05 AM

25,826 posts, read 20,692,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crone View Post

I agree with this also.

In the final analysis, it is better to get something than it is to get nothing.

Old 08-16-2016, 09:30 AM

12,772 posts, read 7,972,696 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TigerLily24 View Post
I agree with this also.

In the final analysis, it is better to get something than it is to get nothing.
Yes, and Bernie got his $27 per person.

Old 08-16-2016, 09:33 AM

14,221 posts, read 6,955,379 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by baystater View Post
Interesting. If I remember correct you have not been the biggest supporter of Hillary in the past. What has changed to make you consider her? And/or what are the reasons to Drive you to vote for her?
The consequences of Trump is straightforward. 3 supreme court justices that promise to make it impossible to win office again without begging the rich and the powerful for money. Essentially this risks locking in an oligarchy for the next 30 years at least where 99.9% of the population can safely be ignored. Furthermore, nuclear war. Trump is clearly a sociopath. This has enormous ramifications. Thirdly, in order to build third party movements at this juncture, it is so important to fight for grassroots organizations that push to change the electoral process and the campaign finance system. I think thats more crucial at this juncture.

Old 08-16-2016, 09:48 AM

10,075 posts, read 7,534,604 times
No, I never considered Bernie a democrat. and no, I'm not saying that because I only vote democrat. I say it because my idea of govt does not include just giving healthcare/education to people. I think it's good provide schools so they can teach but not how. The "how" includes if they want to charge for it if they choose to. By law, in the US, education only has to be provided for up until emancipation, at age 18. College is beyond that, it's a personal responsibility at that point. Same with healthcare, companies should cover XYZ but not told how to conduct their business. On the minimum wage issue, it's like saying the govt can force people to live by certain standards (AKA soviet style housing/rations/every aspect of life) to make sure that the minimum wage covers it. Since the govt doesn't want to control living standards, there's no point in using that as an argument for minimum wage. If people want a certain standard of living, they have to work for it themselves.

the rest of bernie besides those issues... well, he isn't all that different from clinton to me

edit: talking about soviets/college, and the US/STEM degrees... that's what the soviets did, they only let colleges offer studies for jobs that the country needed. If people went to college, they only had those choices. Do you think people in the US would do that? It would certainly lower education costs because it removes most of the American "college" experience. Funny how even China is emulating the US system in getting their students to be more free thinking instead of rout memory, and the US is trying to move in that direction with Common CORE/STEM/standardization

Last edited by MLSFan; 08-16-2016 at 09:59 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections