Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-06-2016, 02:36 PM

7,588 posts, read 6,586,947 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker501 View Post
Because,

I want to make our middle class grow again.

I want to stop the TPP.

I want to secure our borders.

I want to be a proud and powerful country again.

I don't pick a candidate because they pander to one small part of who I am and what I stand for.
But if the candidate you support shows no evidence of any of the qualities you seem to find admirable and indicative of good character, why would you expect him to do these things?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-06-2016, 02:43 PM

6,389 posts, read 4,087,673 times
Quote:
Since I'm gay and married to a man can I still be called a homophobic bigot? Just curious
I wasn't implying that you're a homophobic bigot at all.

I was trying to convey that those who hate often times don't know they hate. And by hate, I don't mean just hating of gay people.

Back in college, through a friend, I met this guy who appeared ok with my sexual orientation. He was a christian. He also said he loved everyone. He always insisted christianity had no room for hate. One time, he invited me to one of his church sessions. I accepted. What I saw and heard there scared the hell out of me. It was a sermon about homosexuality, hell fire, etc. You know, the typical love the sinner, hate the sin BS.

In one of our many debates, I asked him I could not ever bring myself to loving a woman. How am I suppose to live my life and be happy? He said simple just be alone forever and abstain from being with any man. He said it with the utmost sincerity, too. I asked him how does me spending my life with another man hurt anyone else? Isn't that what this is all about? With a straight face, he started comparing homosexuality with pedophilia.

My point is nowadays we live in an age of political correctness. Even the KKK will swear up and down they don't hate people of color. Bigotry these days have turned into something very slippery that it can often times be very difficult to pin down. But trust me, it's there.

I firmly believe Donald Trump has tapped into this underlying hate that is also slippery to pin down. No, it's not because others have said so. It's what I've heard and seen with my own ears and eyes. And I have no doubt that among the Trump supporters are some of the most sincere people out there. But again, like that guy I told you about from college, just because these people are sincere doesn't mean they don't hate.

Both my partner of 4 years and I are terrified of what a Trump presidency could do to our lives as well as the country.

It is not a coincidence that practically every white nationalist group out there has declared their support for Donald Trump.

Old 09-06-2016, 02:46 PM

51,580 posts, read 25,565,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. In-Between View Post
But if the candidate you support shows no evidence of any of the qualities you seem to find admirable and indicative of good character, why would you expect him to do these things?
That's what I find mind boggling.

If you don't believe in name calling, why support a candidate who does this constantly?

If you believe in growing the middle class, why would you vote for a candidate who in 70 years has never done a single thing to benefit the middle class and whose tax plan is tilted in favor of the wealthy?

As to "securing our borders," the key to this is employer penalties. If employers stop hiring because they do not want to face consequences, folks will stop coming. Australia and Canada don't have walls, they use employer sanctions to manager their immigration. Why is this so difficult to grasp?

As to being a proud and powerful country again, what is that about? We already are a powerful country and if we did more things we were proud of....

Old 09-06-2016, 02:48 PM

5,277 posts, read 2,780,757 times
It is a very long election cycle and eventually negatives gain traction.

No one likes it when someone has an unfair advantage and the Party gave her an advantage over Sanders.

Old 09-06-2016, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
I've noticed the same thing.

They usually start out with, "I'm no bigot, but..."

Why would anyone who identifies as LGBTQ support a Republican? That doesn't make any sense.
Actually, it makes perfect sense to me. Many of my core beliefs fall more in line with conservative values than I'm willing to admit.

For example, I used to work in the public sector and I chose to leave it and entered the private sector. I thrive in the private sector.

While I'm pro-choice, I hate abortion with every fiber of my being.

My family and I waited almost 10 years to enter this country legally. As in my parents applied to come here legally and it took almost 10 years for the paperwork to go through. That said, I abhor people who cut in line.

Among us 5 kids, we have 4 engineers and a mathematician. We believe strongly in a strong work ethics and personal responsibility.

As much as I'd like to help the refugees from the war zones of the middle east, speaking as a gay man partnered with another gay man, I'm not so sure I fully support letting so many into the country. I worked for years for habitat for humanity. There is one thing I learned from my experiences there. When one is willing to reach out and help those in need, one must also be prepared to be bitten. No, I'm not comparing refugees with dogs. My family was also a political refugee family. But most of the time, those we help tend not to be grateful and will more than likely bite the hands who feed them. That's just a fact of life.

That's why I can't stand the liberal millenials who are all gungho about helping people and then cry about it when they get hurt.

I really hate to see the social safety nets of our society being used as a way of life. And believe me, I've seen plenty of first hand examples of generational welfare poverty.

Having said all of that, the candidates of today's republicans scare the hell out of me. They are not conservatives. They are something else pretending to be conservative.

Old 09-06-2016, 02:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pbmaise View Post
It is a very long election cycle and eventually negatives gain traction.

No one likes it when someone has an unfair advantage and the Party gave her an advantage over Sanders.
I don't care. The commie bastard Sanders scare me just as much as Trump does.

Old 09-06-2016, 03:12 PM

1,043 posts, read 895,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
I wasn't implying that you're a homophobic bigot at all.

I was trying to convey that those who hate often times don't know they hate. And by hate, I don't mean just hating of gay people.

Back in college, through a friend, I met this guy who appeared ok with my sexual orientation. He was a christian. He also said he loved everyone. He always insisted christianity had no room for hate. One time, he invited me to one of his church sessions. I accepted. What I saw and heard there scared the hell out of me. It was a sermon about homosexuality, hell fire, etc. You know, the typical love the sinner, hate the sin BS.

In one of our many debates, I asked him I could not ever bring myself to loving a woman. How am I suppose to live my life and be happy? He said simple just be alone forever and abstain from being with any man. He said it with the utmost sincerity, too. I asked him how does me spending my life with another man hurt anyone else? Isn't that what this is all about? With a straight face, he started comparing homosexuality with pedophilia.

My point is nowadays we live in an age of political correctness. Even the KKK will swear up and down they don't hate people of color. Bigotry these days have turned into something very slippery that it can often times be very difficult to pin down. But trust me, it's there.

I firmly believe Donald Trump has tapped into this underlying hate that is also slippery to pin down. No, it's not because others have said so. It's what I've heard and seen with my own ears and eyes. And I have no doubt that among the Trump supporters are some of the most sincere people out there. But again, like that guy I told you about from college, just because these people are sincere doesn't mean they don't hate.

Both my partner of 4 years and I are terrified of what a Trump presidency could do to our lives as well as the country.

It is not a coincidence that practically every white nationalist group out there has declared their support for Donald Trump.
My husband and I are both Trump supporters.

We live in Los Angeles; an extremely liberal city. We both have good jobs. His step-mother is a Mexican immigrant. We are the furthest from hateful people.

The problem people are having with Trump is they cannot separate policy from those that will be most affected. For example building the wall. It is not hateful. It is to secure the border from anyone who tries to cross it - white, hispanic, everyone. I believe in our current economic environment, our crime and terrorism threats that this policy will benefit all Americans regardless of race.

Another example is the vetting of Muslims. Why is it hateful to want to more thoroughly investigate the background of people that come from areas with known terrorist ties? The same thing would happen if for example Russians were attacking us. The caucasian Russian immigrants would be put under stricter immigration rules. It has nothing to do with race or religion.

Last edited by Parker501; 09-06-2016 at 03:46 PM..

Old 09-06-2016, 03:17 PM

6,977 posts, read 5,678,155 times
Quote:
My husband and I are both Trump supporters.

We live in Los Angeles; an extremely liberal city. We both have good jobs. His mother-in-law is a Mexican immigrant. We are the furthest from hateful people.

The problem people are having with Trump is they cannot separate policy from those that will be most affected. For example building the wall. It is not hateful. It is to secure the border from anyone who tries to cross it - white, hispanic, everyone. I believe in our current economic environment, our crime and terrorism threats that this policy will benefit all Americans regardless of race.

Another example is the vetting of Muslims. Why is it hateful to want to more thoroughly investigate the background of people that come from areas with known terrorist ties? The same thing would happen if for example Russians were attacking us. The caucasian Russian immigrants would be put under stricter immigration rules. It has nothing to do with race or religion.
There's been a lot of untrue spin, all trump wants to do is make sure people are following laws and the country is a safe and happy place again.

maybe that's too much to ask.

thanks for supporting the good guys side, hopefully a lot of your friends and family will follow you to the booth.

Old 09-06-2016, 03:19 PM

51,580 posts, read 25,565,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
I don't care. The commie bastard Sanders scare me just as much as Trump does.
Which is exactly why I doubted he would win the general election.

Other than some emails that were never acted upon, I'm at a loss at understanding the accusations that he didn't get a fair shot at the Democratic nomination. He lost by millions of votes that the DNC had no hand in counting.

I think he did a great job of bringing in a lot people to the process and bringing up a lot of issues that we all need to take serious. It looks like he will be campaigning for HRC.

Old 09-06-2016, 03:45 PM

1,043 posts, read 895,551 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wall st kid View Post
There's been a lot of untrue spin, all trump wants to do is make sure people are following laws and the country is a safe and happy place again.

maybe that's too much to ask.

thanks for supporting the good guys side, hopefully a lot of your friends and family will follow you to the booth.

Thanks

I hope my friends and family will follow; I hope everyone does.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections