Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-27-2016, 03:04 PM

11,988 posts, read 5,292,205 times

Advertisements

In the primaries, Trump pledged to quit the race if he faded in the polls. A group of anti-Trump Republicans have purchased air time for a 30 second spot to "keep your word" and withdraw from the race. The ad is running in Florida, Virginia, Ohio and Michigan.

Now it's a small ad buy, and he certainly won't withdraw, but it's a message to anti-Trump Republicans that they have a pass to sit out the election.

Anti-Trump Republicans to launch swing-state ad buy - POLITICO
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-27-2016, 03:46 PM

416 posts, read 260,214 times
Default Will Trump Quit?

So don't get all gnarly at the messenger, i'm just sharing the latest from Red State. Seems the anti-trump republicans are airing ads in swing states calling for the dumpster to live up to his commitment to quit if his polling numbers drop.

For anyone interested, you can read about it here under the header: Ad to Air in Swing States Calls on Trump to Quit. The spot is quite well done, though i suspect the dumpster diver's won't like it because there's no screaming, vulgar language or threats of physical violence...just the Donald's own words being used to get him to do the right thing.

How does it get any better than this?

Old 08-27-2016, 03:48 PM
NCN

21,663 posts, read 25,628,401 times
His winning the election and putting these jerks in their place would be much BETTER.

Old 08-27-2016, 03:50 PM

25,962 posts, read 22,113,827 times
Why would someone that was headed to win "quit"? Yeah, I'm not interested in the article. I know there are still some Republicans pouting that an establishment candidate was not nominated, but I am not one of them. They lost fair and square which is more than Bernie can say.

Old 08-27-2016, 03:56 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,810,680 times
1) Since Donald Trump clearly doesn't care one iota how much damage he does to the Republican Party, I can't see why that factor would influence him to quit.

2) He loves the attention too much to quit.

3) He's already establishing his excuse for losing -- "I was robbed!" -- which allows him to soothe his ego, thus negating any downside for him to his impending loss. And the 'for him' part is the only relevant aspect when it comes to whether or not Trump does something. The fact that he's deploying it also shows that he realizes he will very likely lose and is prepared for that eventuality.

4) Like a petulant child, encouraging Trump to do something only makes it more likely that he will not do that thing. That's how narcissists operate.

So, no, I highly doubt Trump will quit.

Old 08-27-2016, 03:58 PM

He knows he had to step up, his life was pointing him in that direction for many, many years now:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OCabT_O0YSM

Does that sound like someone who will quit?

He was talking about the primaries, quitting if he had no traction. He beat the pants off of those 16 and now is going to beat the diaper off of the Democratic nominee.

Polls? Dropped to 5 point with fudging. Yeah, that will get the morally, mentally and physically incompetent Hillary elected, NOT!

Old 08-27-2016, 04:02 PM

11,988 posts, read 5,292,205 times
No, we won't quit, he won't pivot, and he won't expand his base.

He will try to exploit his base for all it's worth in some monetary way after the election, which was his plan all alone. Niche marketing to a minority of voters for future exploitation.

Old 08-27-2016, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bureaucat View Post
No, we won't quit, he won't pivot, and he won't expand his base.

He will try to exploit his base for all it's worth in some monetary way after the election, which was his plan all alone. Niche marketing to a minority of voters for future exploitation.
The catch is that even if he doesn't expand his base, Hillary has "leaks" in her base, drip, drip, drip.... He is expanding his voter support, and the enthusiasm behind his campaign will get his supporters to the polls.

Minority of voters? What a silly thing to say!

Suggest everyone take a look at the polling and methodology. Shouldn't be that hard for the "highly" educated Hillary supporters to comprehend, I mean, this old uneducated Trump supporter can figure it out!

Old 08-27-2016, 04:13 PM

14,204 posts, read 12,278,343 times
Why would he quit?

Old 08-27-2016, 04:23 PM

11,110 posts, read 9,810,680 times
I think the real strength of this ad is that is slaps the label LOSER on Trump, but indirectly. That’s a much more effective way of doing it. It underscores that he is going to lose, which tends to depress turnout among supporters and encourage turnout for the ‘other side’ — ie, Clinton in this case — because voting is, for many people, partly an emotional experience, and people are enthusiastic to go vote for their candidate when they're confident that candidate will win, and less enthusiastic in the same way about candidates that appear to be headed for a loss.

This ad is very strong as a defining piece. And I think it was intended that way — the group that ran it probably has little hope he’ll drop out, but they do want him to lose so they can wrest control of the party back from the white ethno-nationalists.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y3qRar5UKHk
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections