Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-28-2016, 01:58 PM

1,296 posts, read 1,117,227 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katzpaw View Post
Debate prep: Hillary loads up on facts, Trump loads up on zingers

"Clinton is reportedly devouring policy and opposition research, and rehearsing like crazy to get ready.

Overall, the Clinton Team says that Hillary is approaching the debates like a series of job interviews with the American electorate, in which she should come across as the sober and serious alternative to Trump, and so she’s hyper-preparing accordingly.

Trump, on the other hand, has no official debate team, and is apparently skipping the policy prep and rehearsals so he can rely on his natural talents and showmanship. What preparation he is doing, at least right now, consists of hosting Sunday get-togethers with friends, advisors, and family to test pitches and zingers over cheeseburgers and soda.

Trump Will Wing Debates, While Clinton Does Her Homework

Yeah sure. Considering all she has done so far is lie, lie, lie, lie, lie it will be interesting to see her try to tell A truth for once in her life!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-28-2016, 02:52 PM

26,972 posts, read 15,193,066 times
Quote:
There is a saying in law school:
"When you present your case before the judge (in this case, the people),
If you have the truth, pound the truth.
If you have the facts, pound the facts.
If you have nothing, pound the table."

Or if you are Hillary Clinton hide the truth the best you can.

Old 08-28-2016, 03:27 PM

10,077 posts, read 6,375,305 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scirocco View Post
Trump is too wise and cunning to let Hillary run all over him with the facts. She may try to take control in the traditional debate style. But just when she thinks the upperhand has been reached, watch for Trump to throw zinger after zinger in response. His plan is to throw Hillary off her message any chance he gets.

In many ways, it is easier for Trump in the debates. As Hillary commits to lofty political tones which will come across as condescending , Trump will play the every man sick and tired of professional political speak. Do not rule Trump out. Bear in mind he beat out of the best debaters around in the form of Ted Cruz in the nomination debates. All in all if Trump can stay focused and not be drawn into personal insults against Hillary he could come out on top.

Trump may very well roar back in these debates. What will he pull out from his bag of tricks ?. Hillary thinks she has all angles covered , although Trump could frustrate her and outfox her at every turn.
The nomination debates were not true debates, they were truncated question and answer sessions which Trump dominated with his typical technique of speaking louder and more than others, speaking over his opponents, and failing to address the actual issue at hand. If the moderators of the upcoming debates actually do their jobs and keep the candidates on point and on the topic at hand, Trump's lack of knowledge will be obvious no matter how many "zingers" he has prepared.

Old 08-28-2016, 03:27 PM

23,856 posts, read 13,690,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
Frankly, it's probably not a bad strategy for Trump.

She's a wonk and he's a guy who is ignorant. Not stupid, but ignorant - he is uninterested in things that don't involved getting attention, making money and getting laid. He might as well play to his strengths and hope that he somehow exceeds the incredibly low expectations that people have for him.

If he does that, he can potentially win the news cycle around the debates even if he gets destroyed on substance. This isn't likely to be a winning strategy. But it may be the least-bad option he has.

But all that assumes he uses the debates as a leverage to winning the election. Personally, I have my doubts. The raging narcissist within him probably can't resist using the spotlight of the debates to be the rodeo clown that he is accustomed to being. So my guess is that he just goes for laughs, ratings, whatever he knows will dominate the news no matter how negatively so that he can bask in the glow of attention.

He'll then proclaim that he won, the Trumplings will gullibly believe it, and the other 2/3rds of the country will just roll its collective eyes.
I think you've nailed it.

Old 08-28-2016, 03:41 PM

7,982 posts, read 4,272,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unsettomati View Post
Frankly, it's probably not a bad strategy for Trump.

She's a wonk and he's a guy who is ignorant. Not stupid, but ignorant - he is uninterested in things that don't involved getting attention, making money and getting laid. He might as well play to his strengths and hope that he somehow exceeds the incredibly low expectations that people have for him.

If he does that, he can potentially win the news cycle around the debates even if he gets destroyed on substance. This isn't likely to be a winning strategy. But it may be the least-bad option he has.

But all that assumes he uses the debates as a leverage to winning the election. Personally, I have my doubts. The raging narcissist within him probably can't resist using the spotlight of the debates to be the rodeo clown that he is accustomed to being. So my guess is that he just goes for laughs, ratings, whatever he knows will dominate the news no matter how negatively so that he can bask in the glow of attention.

He'll then proclaim that he won, the Trumplings will gullibly believe it, and the other 2/3rds of the country will just roll its collective eyes.

I agree 100%. This is what will happen, and it is his best option. Just look here at C-D. His followers are giddy over seeing Trump insult Hillary. Trump will continue to pander to his low-brow base.

Old 08-28-2016, 03:44 PM

25,791 posts, read 21,949,801 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
She has to rehearsing like crazy to get ready. She doesn't know who she is or what side of the issues she will be on without enormous preparation.

She should come across as the sober and serious. That in itself will be a refreshing change. If she doesn't come across drunk on power and money that will be an accomplishment.
She needs extreme preparation to transform into the victimized, hot sauce carrying, grandma who has rented out the Lincoln and would sell the W.H. to the highest bidder.

She will be scripted and prepared to divert attention away from the questions ask like she always does. Then people will be free to ask themselves like they always do. Why didn't she answer the question and/or why did she have to lie again ?
You caught it too! "Rehearsing". I doubt though that she is capable of handling much rehearsing. I am sure they are trying to make it as easy as they can for her, but still, unless they get a script of the questions, it is going to be challenging for her. I wonder if they have gotten her meds tweaked to the point she isn't inappropriately laughing and head-bobbing - you can't rehearse that away.

I think she'll have the ear piece, use the coughing to let them know they need to repeat or clarify, and only God knows, how she will stand without support for long. You can see her tilt her head as she listens to whoever is behind the scene.

Trump will do awesome. He has been in front of thousands of people talking about his policies and what is happening in the world and talking to the people, all of them not just elite groups, not tucked away from the public like a special snowflake.

Was thinking "Hillary and facts"? Ah, that is hilarious! Hillary is all "lies and deflection" and to expect anything other than that from Hillary or her supporters is going to leave one very disappointed!

Old 08-28-2016, 03:45 PM

7,982 posts, read 4,272,606 times
Quote:
The debate format favors facts and explaining policies.

Some questions from the 2012 debate:

LEHRER: What are the major differences between the two of you about how you would go about creating new jobs?
Each of you have two minutes to start.

LEHRER: Mr. President, please respond directly to what the governor just said about trickle-down -- his trick-down approach, as he said yours is.

LEHER: what are the differences between the two of you as to how you would go about tackling the deficit problem in this country?

LEHRER: Governor, what about Simpson-Bowles? Do you support Simpson-Bowles?

LEHRER: All right? All right. This is segment three, the economy. Entitlements. First -- first answer goes to you, two minutes, Mr. President. Do you see a major difference between the two of you on Social Security?

LEHRER: Do you want to repeal Dodd-Frank?

Watching Trump answer such questions, I foresee a lot of second-hand embarrassment coming...

Old 08-28-2016, 03:47 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,500,485 times
Default Trump loads up on zingers

I am not surprised that Trump isn't studying for anything. It isn't his style.

"Conway went on to say that they aren’t going to try and force Trump to be someone other than himself, i.e. someone that prepares for things or has an attention span:
He’s an unconventional candidate, so debate prep in the classic sense doesn’t apply to him. That applies to the accoutrements that are usually associated with getting ready for debates: contrived gestures, lecterns, a group of consultants in belted khakis holed up in a cabin, the Socratic method of peppering questions. That’s not him.
Veteran GOP debate coach Brett O’Donnell certainly doesn’t agree that Trump can skip the standard preparations, telling the Post:"

It should be an entertaining night.

Old 08-28-2016, 03:52 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,500,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bungalove View Post
The nomination debates were not true debates, they were truncated question and answer sessions which Trump dominated with his typical technique of speaking louder and more than others, speaking over his opponents, and failing to address the actual issue at hand. If the moderators of the upcoming debates actually do their jobs and keep the candidates on point and on the topic at hand, Trump's lack of knowledge will be obvious no matter how many "zingers" he has prepared.

Old 08-28-2016, 03:56 PM

15,823 posts, read 12,436,448 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnywhereElse View Post
You caught it too! "Rehearsing".
Trump is rehearsing zingers.
Bonus, he gets to look at himself in the mirror at the same time.
Are you talking to me? Are YOU talking to ME?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections