Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2008, 12:50 PM

2,137 posts, read 3,859,258 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustinFromBoise View Post
Louisiana Governor, Bobby Jindal, He's a conservative, a southerner, and a minority (since apparently affirmative action has entered presidential politics). Of course he gave the speel on TV about McCain isn't gonna ask him, and he doesn't want it any way. But has any one ever said they had ambitions for vp and they were a top choice?
Well, that is an interesting idea! I like Jindal...don't know a whole lot about him...just liked what I heard in a few radio interviews. He's not had a lot of experience from what I recall. But, it's such a fresh idea, I'm going to google him right now and maybe learn a bit more.

McCain needs a pretty conservative running mate and/or someone VERY good at economics.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2008, 12:50 PM

9,847 posts, read 25,243,057 times
I don't understand the logic behind Mel Martinez. He's Hispanic but his appeal is with a relatively small albeit somewhat politically and economically powerful percentage of Hispanics, Cuban Republicans. I don't think McCain appointing him will sway other Hispanics to vote McCain.

Old 02-22-2008, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LM1 View Post
I don't think Jindal is a likely pick.
He's a member of a minority group that has no political weight, personally speaking, he has absolutely no gravitas and his state means nothing in the general. He wouldn't add anything substantive to the ticket in the way of operating experience (ala the Cheney/Bush interplay). No, Jindal is all pain, no gain.

Really, I cannot see how Mel Martinez wouldn't get the first offer, unless McCain does something wild and offers it to Paul. That might be risky, though, seeing Ron Paul has some pretty rabid supporters and if the only thing that stood between Paul and the presidency was a living, breathing John McCain, well, that probably wouldn't bode too well for McCain
Why on earth do you think Paul is even being considered? He's older than McCain and other than some pretty good economic ideas, most (including McCain) think he is a loon.

Old 02-22-2008, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AksarbeN View Post
Rep Rick Renzi from Arizona although he's indicted on 35 counts by the US Grand Jury for now. He and McCain have so much in common.
Pls share what you "feel" they have in common.

Do you actually think this kind of post sways anyone's opinion?

Old 02-22-2008, 12:56 PM

I have a feeling he'll go with Romney. He's young and it makes political sense for both McCain and Romney.

Old 02-22-2008, 12:57 PM

2,290 posts, read 5,545,081 times
I like the idea of Bobby Jindal. But he can be somewhat moderate in his policy, so that might be a turnoff to certain types of people.

Charlie Crist is a good choice. So is Michael Steele. And contrary to belief, Huckabee would still be a good VP choice.

Old 02-22-2008, 01:00 PM

4,183 posts, read 6,523,791 times
Another likely veep for McCain is Missouri governor Matt Blunt. He comes from a swing state, so that should help.

Old 02-22-2008, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by backfist View Post
I like the idea of Bobby Jindal. But he can be somewhat moderate in his policy, so that might be a turnoff to certain types of people.

Charlie Crist is a good choice. So is Michael Steele. And contrary to belief, Huckabee would still be a good VP choice.
Jindal is an interesting name to bring up, but I don't think its quite his time yet. Party politics.

Old 02-22-2008, 04:04 PM

31,304 posts, read 32,880,923 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elmonellie View Post
Pls share what you "feel" they have in common.

Do you actually think this kind of post sways anyone's opinion?

Well they’re both from the same state, both republicans, both have been the subject of controversy with the ethics committee for receive, both involved with criminal actives in the same state and both know each other fairly well.

Maybe you need to hear some of the local news of Rick Renzi in Arizona, national news may not cover him as well. And local news about McCain seems to be unfavorable at this time. So I guess that’s another “something in common” they both have unfavorable news stories being run.

Old 02-22-2008, 04:49 PM

5,152 posts, read 8,527,286 times
God forbid McCain gets elected, but for a running mate, I would not mind
seeing Condi Rice, that would pretty much neutralize a race factor if
Obama is the democratic nominee.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections