Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-30-2016, 07:54 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,707,497 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by wall st kid View Post
so if this is true, why is there this campaign against trump and being close to the 'button'? if he's going to have a hard time getting anything done, why are his detractors acting as if he's going to be able to snap his fingers and make changes?
Trump can do lots of damage shooting off his mouth, insulting allies, and engaging in petty personal vendettas while the country flounders. None of that takes a plan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-30-2016, 08:15 PM

24,404 posts, read 23,061,247 times
And Hillary is a punishment we don't deserve.

Old 08-30-2016, 08:28 PM

79,907 posts, read 44,191,640 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
many of us don't think much of Trump - it's close to hate - he's earned our disdain - he's picked up a few tips from his Hitler-readings.....he's not genocidal, but he's got some ideas and beliefs that should alarm us all including flippant use of nuclear weapons......and his idolizing Putin and other dictators of the world.

http://medialb.ultimedia.com/multi/35xzq/5m5lmk-HC.jpg
I must have missed his use of nuclear weapons.

Old 08-30-2016, 08:48 PM

16,345 posts, read 18,061,657 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
As much as I dislike Trump, comparisons to Hitler are a) overdone and b) way off base.

If you google, it seems that both Bush and Obama have had their fair share of "I hate him because he is the next Hitler" and clearly those aren't true. They are both very much disliked, but not nearly comparable to someone that tortured, starved, enslaved, and conducted mass medical "experiments" on millions of people and presided over their executions/deaths. I think its beyond irresponsible to compare the two, and it goes a long way in minimizing what Hitler actually did, but that is how people think they are going to score political points every few years, its both disrespectful and dangerous.
Who was Hitler compared to before he became THE Hitler? How many people thought, again and again, that what would eventually happen would never happen? How many people believed that he would start WWII and engage in genocide in the early-mid 1930s? The point is not to say that Trump is exactly like Hitler, because he isn't exactly like him obviously. It's only that some parallels in their rise can be found pretty easily, along with other parallels in the type of rhetoric they choose (and the type of people he attracts). In the end, Trump doesn't need to be Hitler to be disastrous to the US and the world. His campaign has already been incredibly toxic to the national discourse, and that's not going to go away anytime soon. In fact, I think it's going to get a lot worse, regardless of the election's outcome, but especially if he wins. Just how far things go... well, as the title says- the risk isn't worth taking.

Old 08-30-2016, 08:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pknopp View Post
I won't vote for him but Hillary worries me far more than Trump.
There's literally no way that she would be worse.

Old 08-30-2016, 08:56 PM

14,888 posts, read 10,033,991 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbcmh81 View Post
There's literally no way that she would be worse.
For who, Mexicans?

Old 08-30-2016, 08:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lycos679 View Post
Their appeal to populism is the only similarity that I can see. I haven't had to watch a Hitler speech since HS though.

But my point is Hitler knew what he wanted to do, and he was determined to unify Germany in order to accomplish his goals. Trump, not so much.

You might have to go back to FDR or JFK to find anyone remotely similar to Hitler in the USA. Obama has some similarity and maybe Reagan too, but 1930's Germany was just so vastly different than the USA is that the politicians tend to reflect that.
Here's the thing though, if he really has no plan, that makes him even more dangerous, because there is no predictability. If he's totally open to embracing white nationalism and basically the worst of humanity if it's a means to an end already, who is to say that he won't embrace something even worse than that if it furthers whatever he happens to want in the moment and with the full weight of the US government behind him?

How in the holy hell were JFK or FDR like Hitler?

Old 08-30-2016, 08:58 PM

5,705 posts, read 3,671,155 times
I don't think Trump is a nazi. But if a nazi was handing out pamphlets he'd probably take one.

Old 08-30-2016, 09:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kat in aiken View Post
Actually, it might be good if trump were to embrace the Hitler analogy for his campaign. After all, Hitler was successful at getting the country organized in the direction he wanted it to go, instituted a plan for dealing with the problem of having people that he didn't want in his country, and successfully took over neighboring countries. That the rest of the world didn't like what he did, and ended up winning the resulting war shouldn't take away the successes that Hitler had. He promised to make Germany great again and he did it, right?
I hope this is sarcasm.

Old 08-30-2016, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMoreYouKnow View Post
For who, Mexicans?
For anyone, anywhere. There is no reality in which Clinton can be painted as equal or worse than Trump, and all those people who try- there are obviously many- are either intellectually dishonest or morally bankrupt.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections