Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-22-2008, 05:12 PM

1,266 posts, read 2,507,975 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
If they haven't woken up yet and started asking where the $$$$$'s going to come from to pay for our nation building programs why is there any reason to believe they'll wake up anytime before election day?
Maybe we'll get lucky and they'll release a new IPod or blackberry on election day and all the stargazers will be in line at Best Buy instead of voting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2008, 05:16 PM

17,764 posts, read 39,717,430 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maddy1980 View Post
And I also wanted to add that I read on another board that obama said he is gonna make the wealthy help the poor? I am not even wealthy and I can see that obama is prbably just envious of rich people because he wasn't able to compete in corporate america. The only people who should decide who rich people help are the rich people themselves whom most are always very giving and now when and what times to help people.
Oh no no no, Obama passed up working for a large corporate law firm in Chicago (the firm where he met Michelle). He and Michelle could be sitting back collecting huge corporate law firm paychecks as high level partners, but went in another direction after Obama graduated from Harvard.

Still won't vote for him.

Old 02-22-2008, 06:42 PM

9,725 posts, read 15,165,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art123 View Post
For some perspective:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/f/fc/Fed-budget-2007-chart.GIF (broken link)
Just for some real perspective, Social Security and Medicare are paid for from taxes that are collected separately and shouldn't even be included on that chart. I know they comingle the funds, but that is why Social Security and Medicare are shown as running out of money when the truth is, they collect far more than they give out.

Old 02-22-2008, 06:47 PM

9,725 posts, read 15,165,460 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
If they haven't woken up yet and started asking where the $$$$$'s going to come from to pay for our nation building programs why is there any reason to believe they'll wake up anytime before election day?
Maybe the plan is to bankrupt the USA? Who knows? I know Bill Clinton tried to save it but GWB just threw all that hard work away.

Have you noticed what has happened in the realm of banking in the last couple of days?

Old 02-22-2008, 07:08 PM

5,152 posts, read 8,524,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maddy1980 View Post
You can not tell me that you hath to be a hillary supporter or a republican to see that obama and his robin hood mentallity is dangerous and a threat to the american economy. So far his global poverty tax bill(which is gonna rob america blind) has went on challenged by the mass media because they are so in love with him. But I am wondering how does regular americans feel about obama making americans responsible for the welfare of people in every impoverished country around the world? Who told obama he has the right to take money that could go to the working class poor or elderly that he can give it to the UN who are going to "distrubite" it to poor countries like africa? If obama was pro america he would be concerned with soliving the economic crisis in america before he tries to steal our dollars to give more money to corrupt dictators whom are the ones really responsible for starvation and poverty around the world. And I don't believe for one second that all these obama supporter's really like this bill!
Well, one, do you have a problem with Bush robbing America blind with his war in Iraq? LIke previously mentioned Bush has donated a lot of money to Africa, fighting AIDS (seems strange coming from him), do you have an issue with that? Bush certainly has been more interested in solving issues that help Iraq and hurt everyone else in America (he helps out the rich though in the USA), are you one of them?
I guess I'm just curious, if you are not ok with what W has done, just like what you are talking about, then maybe it gives your OP more credibility.

Old 02-22-2008, 07:10 PM

5,152 posts, read 8,524,412 times
Again, while this is an Obama thread, I just find it ironic that some folks will say things about Obama like that, but seemingly have no problem with W doing the same things, with a little bit of a different twist/disguise.

Old 02-22-2008, 08:25 PM

8,036 posts, read 10,626,487 times
Can't we just borrow the money from China the way President Bush does??

Old 02-22-2008, 08:45 PM

217 posts, read 751,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art123 View Post
You DO know that Bush has given more money to Africa by far than any other President.

You do know that Obama supports PAYGO Rules:
Reinstate PAYGO Rules: Obama believes that a critical step in restoring fiscal discipline is enforcing pay-as-you-go (PAYGO) budgeting rules which require new spending commitments or tax changes to be paid for by cuts to other programs or new revenue.
PAYGO: Obama voted in 2005, 2006, and 2007 to reinstate pay-as-you-go (PAYGO) federal budget rules.

For some perspective:
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/f/fc/Fed-budget-2007-chart.GIF (broken link)
Does anyone realize that 20% slice of pie labeled Social Security is at the fault of the federal government itself? Social Security was to be an entity onto itself and not paid for by income taxes.
How many of you have paid SS/FICO taxes your working career?
Did you think they were to build battleships, fighter planes and guns or their own investment fund to be there for later?

Criminals on Capital Hill.

Old 02-22-2008, 08:52 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,081,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishfister View Post
Does anyone realize that 20% slice of pie labeled Social Security is at the fault of the federal government itself? Social Security was to be an entity onto itself and not paid for by income taxes.
How many of you have paid SS/FICO taxes your working career?
Did you think they were to build battleships, fighter planes and guns or their own investment fund to be there for later?

Criminals on Capital Hill.
Do you also realise that the seniors right now collecting on Social Security, paid into it knowing they would get a check, PERIOD. Since that time we have added senior housing (in addition to SS), medical benefits (in addition to SS), along with hundreds of other programs.

Its one argument to say that one paid into it, you deserve to get your money back, but asking for your money back, in addition to unlimited benefits that were never paid for is something totally different.

That 20% for Social Security, add in the 14% for Medicare, and other programs, and its easy to see that seniors could account for 40% of our national budget. We all yell and scream about the national debt but we spend 5 times the national debt on seniors in any given year.

Old 02-22-2008, 09:29 PM

217 posts, read 751,997 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EarthMother1951 View Post
In fact, he is probably going to end up being President since the powers that be want someone they can and will control. After all, does anyone in here honestly believe that we actually elect the President?
BINGO!!
Bush was the hood ornament on an extremely poorly built and ugly car. It ate up more money than it was worth.

Obama is sure to be another hood ornament an a hooptie that could drive us into another depression. This recession is nothing. That will be laid upon the fact he is black.
Bush and his administration ruined the country - I don't care what he and his blind comrades want to believe.
Who is going to drive the car Obama sits on? That is the scariest thought I have. He might be able to manage a WALMART but his lack of big-time federal experience puts him in the hands of those that back him. Ted Kennedy, Oprah, labor unions and the media? Don't forget about the huge financial guys that will spin him like a top. Who will be in his cabinet?

Most of black America sees him as the great hope and a milestone in "their struggle". Basically the Robin Hood theory again.
Do they see race only and not his platform? He chants the words CHANGE and HOPE at all of his speaking events and every word is coated with sugar to be swallowed with no resistance at all. I listen to him and hear a message of spending a lot of money we don't have. We blew it all over the past 8 years and there's nothing left. Yeah he makes a great public speaker but he is prime to take us into the one-world-government scenario and bind us to Europe as one. Whites see him the same way but I believe it is the youth that are riding the wave of his hype and the pep rally feel they get at his speeches.
What happened to Ron Paul??

Watch all of the candidates on YOUTUBE.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections