Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-12-2016, 01:32 PM

14,780 posts, read 43,682,136 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Parker501 View Post
I was talking to friends who are Hillary supporters and after discussing Trump's campaign platform with them they all seemed to agree that it all sounded like a good idea.

I'm going to quickly summarize it and if you could please tell me what about it you don't like I would love to hear it.

The reasons I support Trump are very straight forward. It is because he will put Americans FIRST. He will make sure that any policy he puts forward will protect the citizens and legal immigrants of this country before it benefits anyone else. This includes:

1. Trade policy - we come first. No more shipping our jobs overseas for other countries to benefit while hard working Americans suffer.

2. No more paying for illegal activity. Money spent on giving welfare, food stamps, and healthcare goes to Americans first. We have many people in need here and they should be top priority.

3. Not bringing in refugees from other countries and wasting tax payer money on it. He will build a safe zone in their country so they are protected.

4. Put American's safety first. If someone wants to immigrate here from a country of known terrorism we need to be sure they do not intend to hurt or kill our citizens.

5. No more race baiting or blaming the police force.

6. Rebuild the inner cities and give minorities a chance to be successful instead of giving handouts.

7. Rework our health care system - people are spending too much of their money on a basic necessity.

8. Allow legal immigrants including Mexican immigrants to have a better life. They should not have to compete for work with someone who is here getting paid under the table and undercutting wages. They worked hard to legally migrate here and deserve to be treated like everyone else and have the same opportunities.

9. Stop starting wars like in Syria and Libya. He was against the Iraq war which is widely thought to be the spark that started ISIS.

10. Get corruption out of the government. He is an outsider who is tired of seeing Washington being ineffective at governing.

11. Then there are lots of superficial reasons I like him - he is funny and charismatic (he was the host of the Apprentice). He is down to earth and tries to relate to all Americans especially the working class. I think his wife and daughters are beautiful and it would be cool to have a hot first lady and presidents daughters.
1. Trump's trade policy rhetoric has been roundly criticized as being far too protectionist to the point that it will damage the US and global economy. His trade policies will cause a recession and job loss, hurting the people he purports to help the most with his policies.

2. Illegal immigrants don't receive any of those services you listed. Some of their children may, but their children are American citizens.

3. Where would this safe zone be? If it is to be in a third party country, then that nation would need to agree to host it. Second, any safe zone would require American troops to enforce it to the level proposed by Trump. So, that would mean American boots on the ground being responsible for protecting the lives of millions of displaced persons either in another nation or in the middle of a war zone. Sounds good in theory, but its viability is very suspect.

4. The terror acts that have occurred here have been "home grown". There have been almost no incidents of acts caused by refugees and the two attempted acts were stopped long before they could be carried out. However, I would concede that this is logical, but also rather hollow. If a terrorist wanted to infiltrate the US there are much better ways to do it than attempting to legally immigrate here.

5. So, essentially a return to the "let's not talk about this festering issue" stance. I think there are real issues with race relations in the US and with the relationship between many minority communities and their police forces. Not really a plan, just a desire to not discuss.

6. Sounds great, but I have heard no real plan on how that would be accomplished.

7. Agreed, healthcare requires a major overhaul. My preferred solution would be national, universal healthcare. Some of Trump's proposals seem like they might help lower costs to a degree. However, there is the fact that there are portions of the ACA that people really like, but are also what makes it expensive. Not denying people coverage due to pre-existing conditions and not allowing caps on coverage are things most people approve of. I have not heard enough of Trump's actual plan.

8. It has been proven over and over again that mass deportation is not a solution to the issue of illegal immigrants. I think Clinton's policies are a good starting point, but don't go far enough. I think Trump's plans are completely unrealistic and I think his waffling on them is evidence of that.

9. Trump was in favor of the Iraq War and the Libyan Intervention. The idea is great in theory, but very hard to follow though on since we are already so engaged around the world. Trump has also shown extreme ignorance of foreign policy and how the military and diplomacy actually work.

10. He is far from an outsider. He may not be a career politician, but he certainly lived on the other side of that corruption. The questionable piece here is "ineffective at governing". Trump is used to being able to make unilateral decisions when he wants, that's what owners/CEO's can do. Governing requires much more tact and collaboration. It's nice to see someone throw things in everyone's faces (I enjoyed the first couple RNC debates, solely because of the entertainment value Trump. Though I did eventually grow tired of the schtick and looked for more substance, it seems many Trump supporters like the schtick foremost, policy be damned.) brought, but eventually you need to work with these people. I'm not sure he can actually be effective.

11. The 'x' factor you say appeals to you, does not appeal to me. I think he comes off more as a fake and a bully than charismatic or down to Earth. As for the attractiveness of his wife and daughter (he only has one)...that's not something I even consider when looking for who should run the country. The only thing I will say there is that I do not see Melania fulfilling the role of FLOTUS the way that Michelle Obama, Laura Bush or Nancy Reagan did.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-12-2016, 01:37 PM

7,540 posts, read 11,572,390 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
Trump's Platform -- What's not to like?

1. Trump's bigoted and hateful remarks against Hispanics.
2. Trump's xenophobia.
3. Trump's mocking of a disabled person.
4. Trump's association with white nationalist groups (the Alt-Right)
5. Trump's obsession with Vladimir Putin.
6. Trump hired an Alt-Right hate group sympathizer Bannon from Brietbart.
7. Trump's statements to undermine the security of NATO.
8. Trump's proposals for another round of "trickle down" tax cuts for the rich, which will explode the deficit.
9. Trump's poor judgment in hiring people (Manafort and Bannon).
10. Trump's complete lack of experience in government.
11. Trump's track record of business fraud, nonpayment to small businesses, and bankruptcies. Lack of ethics in business dealings.
12. Open letters from former military and intelligence officers who say he is unfit to serve and is a security risk if elected.

There's more, but that's enough for now.
101% Truth the members who say this is BS listen to Alex Jones and believe what he says is 100% truth and everybody else is false. Why is Alex Jones the only one saying this stuff and nobody else is because it is 20x over false

Old 09-12-2016, 01:56 PM

13,646 posts, read 9,708,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
This, to me, encapsulates the problem. Trump's policies are anti-business and anti-investor. His policies are reckless and radical. They are not conservative. They are not Republican. They are crassly populist. Even if Trump were a careful, buttoned-down, circumspect and disciplined politician, I would find myself to be fundamentally opposed to his ideas on the economy, on trade, and on most financial matters.

Old 09-12-2016, 02:12 PM

6,977 posts, read 5,707,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elliott_CA View Post
Trump's Platform -- What's not to like?

1. Trump's bigoted and hateful remarks against Hispanics.
2. Trump's xenophobia.
3. Trump's mocking of a disabled person.
4. Trump's association with white nationalist groups (the Alt-Right)
5. Trump's obsession with Vladimir Putin.
6. Trump hired an Alt-Right hate group sympathizer Bannon from Brietbart.
7. Trump's statements to undermine the security of NATO.
8. Trump's proposals for another round of "trickle down" tax cuts for the rich, which will explode the deficit.
9. Trump's poor judgment in hiring people (Manafort and Bannon).
10. Trump's complete lack of experience in government.
11. Trump's track record of business fraud, nonpayment to small businesses, and bankruptcies. Lack of ethics in business dealings.
12. Open letters from former military and intelligence officers who say he is unfit to serve and is a security risk if elected.

There's more, but that's enough for now.
when was he bigoted and hateful?

he never mocked anyone, well, other than lyin ted and little marco.

there's no obsession with putin, putin complimented him and he enjoyed the compliment, i prefer him to be on friendly terms with putin, can't we all get along?

there are very few people more ethical than trump, all your number 11 is just a bunch of hot air that only a few people who haven't really done the research believe, its a talking point that's not true just like most of the lies that have been spewed out there about him.

Trump is the best candidate we've seen in a very long time, he's not 'one of them' you know, the corrupt politicians, THIS is the reason there are so many people against him, they dont want to lose their free vacations and perks. as soon as lindsey graham was like "trump=bad" i was like "trump must be amazingly good".

the eyes can't see what the brain doesn't know.

Old 09-12-2016, 02:30 PM

39,868 posts, read 26,498,769 times
Quote:
Yea, all the xenophobia, racist, alt white BS is getting so tiresome. Not sure why a Black Bishop in Detroit would anoint such a person. Plus Clinton has been stoking the racial flames with her 'deplorables' comment as well as her husband saying "Make America Great Again" is racist. They are the ones dividing us.

As for the other stuff I think his NATO proposals are also good - thanks for bringing that up. We should not be World Police. All member countries should contribute equally.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KViI0nZbN3o
Perhaps because that black bishop is smart enough to recognize that the accusations of "xenophobia, racist, alt white BS" is just that. BS. Propagated by Hildabeast and the left-wing media desperate to see her elected. With no basis in fact or history.

Much like it's funny how "Make America Great Again" is now "racist" when stated by Trump, but left-winners embraced that comment when made by Bubba and Obama.

Americans, well, other than Clinton supporters, aren't complete idiots. They recognize that calling Trump and his supporters "racists" and "bigots" is all she has left. When you can't run on substance, call names. Hill is pretty pathetic.

Old 09-12-2016, 02:31 PM

1,043 posts, read 899,405 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJGOAT View Post
1. Trump's trade policy rhetoric has been roundly criticized as being far too protectionist to the point that it will damage the US and global economy. His trade policies will cause a recession and job loss, hurting the people he purports to help the most with his policies.

2. Illegal immigrants don't receive any of those services you listed. Some of their children may, but their children are American citizens.

3. Where would this safe zone be? If it is to be in a third party country, then that nation would need to agree to host it. Second, any safe zone would require American troops to enforce it to the level proposed by Trump. So, that would mean American boots on the ground being responsible for protecting the lives of millions of displaced persons either in another nation or in the middle of a war zone. Sounds good in theory, but its viability is very suspect.

4. The terror acts that have occurred here have been "home grown". There have been almost no incidents of acts caused by refugees and the two attempted acts were stopped long before they could be carried out. However, I would concede that this is logical, but also rather hollow. If a terrorist wanted to infiltrate the US there are much better ways to do it than attempting to legally immigrate here.

5. So, essentially a return to the "let's not talk about this festering issue" stance. I think there are real issues with race relations in the US and with the relationship between many minority communities and their police forces. Not really a plan, just a desire to not discuss.

6. Sounds great, but I have heard no real plan on how that would be accomplished.

7. Agreed, healthcare requires a major overhaul. My preferred solution would be national, universal healthcare. Some of Trump's proposals seem like they might help lower costs to a degree. However, there is the fact that there are portions of the ACA that people really like, but are also what makes it expensive. Not denying people coverage due to pre-existing conditions and not allowing caps on coverage are things most people approve of. I have not heard enough of Trump's actual plan.

8. It has been proven over and over again that mass deportation is not a solution to the issue of illegal immigrants. I think Clinton's policies are a good starting point, but don't go far enough. I think Trump's plans are completely unrealistic and I think his waffling on them is evidence of that.

9. Trump was in favor of the Iraq War and the Libyan Intervention. The idea is great in theory, but very hard to follow though on since we are already so engaged around the world. Trump has also shown extreme ignorance of foreign policy and how the military and diplomacy actually work.

10. He is far from an outsider. He may not be a career politician, but he certainly lived on the other side of that corruption. The questionable piece here is "ineffective at governing". Trump is used to being able to make unilateral decisions when he wants, that's what owners/CEO's can do. Governing requires much more tact and collaboration. It's nice to see someone throw things in everyone's faces (I enjoyed the first couple RNC debates, solely because of the entertainment value Trump. Though I did eventually grow tired of the schtick and looked for more substance, it seems many Trump supporters like the schtick foremost, policy be damned.) brought, but eventually you need to work with these people. I'm not sure he can actually be effective.

11. The 'x' factor you say appeals to you, does not appeal to me. I think he comes off more as a fake and a bully than charismatic or down to Earth. As for the attractiveness of his wife and daughter (he only has one)...that's not something I even consider when looking for who should run the country. The only thing I will say there is that I do not see Melania fulfilling the role of FLOTUS the way that Michelle Obama, Laura Bush or Nancy Reagan did.

Meh. A lot of you don't have any sort of vision or hope. You just keep saying the things he wants to do are unrealistic. So be it. Enjoy you declining middle income, record high government debt, historical low home ownership, record student debt, millennials making less than the previous generation, record low workforce participation. Enjoy it ALL!

And btw, Trump has 2 daughters - Ivanka and Tiffany. And Tiffany is a pretty young woman just like Ivanka.

Old 09-12-2016, 02:35 PM

39,077 posts, read 51,218,516 times
Quote:
But the first step towards accomplishing something is having the idea.

The second step is being in a position to accomplish that idea - like being POTUS.

He will do good by all of us - the legal immigrants and citizens of the country. I wish more people would realize that.
No, that is not it. Before ideas even should come preparation, involvement, learning. Get involved in your community. Register voters. Knock on doors. Volunteer. Run for school board - or dog catcher. Read the constitution, study political philosophy, learn to love the law, become an expert on geography and demographics, study history, foreign affairs. Trump has done nothing - nothing - to prepare himself for what is the most important job in the world. Even now, as he woos his supporters with divisive talk and lofty promises he can't be bothered to read a book, study or prep for his debates even. He does not deserve my vote and he will never get it.

Old 09-12-2016, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ponderosa View Post
No, that is not it. Before ideas even should come preparation, involvement, learning. Get involved in your community. Register voters. Knock on doors. Volunteer. Run for school board - or dog catcher. Read the constitution, study political philosophy, learn to love the law, become an expert on geography and demographics, study history, foreign affairs. Trump has done nothing - nothing - to prepare himself for what is the most important job in the world. Even now, as he woos his supporters with divisive talk and lofty promises he can't be bothered to read a book, study or prep for his debates even. He does not deserve my vote and he will never get it.
A president doesn't have to be an expert on those issues. That's what his administration is for. They do have security experts, legal experts, foreign policy experts and all the other experts you can think of working for the president. All of the presidents just like Obama.

You didn't think Trump would be sitting in the oval office pushing all the buttons by himself did you.

I know people in person who have fought so hard for Hillary and as we see the cracks of corruption and lies exposed over and over I also see the desperation in them. And they are too proud to ever admit that the person they were advocating for is not fit to be POTUS.

That's fine. I used to be a Bernie supporter. I liked his Fair-Trade stance and his cleaning up government corruption; the same things I now see in Trump and many other fantastic policies. At least I'm willing to admit that I was literally brainwashed and conditioned to hate Trump by the mainstream media. Its a scam. I am confident enough in myself to see what has been done to me and acknowledge it.

Last edited by Parker501; 09-12-2016 at 02:55 PM..

Old 09-12-2016, 03:05 PM

16,579 posts, read 20,705,006 times
Quote:
I was talking to friends who are Hillary supporters and after discussing Trump's campaign platform with them they all seemed to agree that it all sounded like a good idea.

I'm going to quickly summarize it and if you could please tell me what about it you don't like I would love to hear it.

The reasons I support Trump are very straight forward. It is because he will put Americans FIRST. He will make sure that any policy he puts forward will protect the citizens and legal immigrants of this country before it benefits anyone else. This includes:

1. Trade policy - we come first. No more shipping our jobs overseas for other countries to benefit while hard working Americans suffer.

2. No more paying for illegal activity. Money spent on giving welfare, food stamps, and healthcare goes to Americans first. We have many people in need here and they should be top priority.

3. Not bringing in refugees from other countries and wasting tax payer money on it. He will build a safe zone in their country so they are protected.

4. Put American's safety first. If someone wants to immigrate here from a country of known terrorism we need to be sure they do not intend to hurt or kill our citizens.

5. No more race baiting or blaming the police force.

6. Rebuild the inner cities and give minorities a chance to be successful instead of giving handouts.

7. Rework our health care system - people are spending too much of their money on a basic necessity.

8. Allow legal immigrants including Mexican immigrants to have a better life. They should not have to compete for work with someone who is here getting paid under the table and undercutting wages. They worked hard to legally migrate here and deserve to be treated like everyone else and have the same opportunities.

9. Stop starting wars like in Syria and Libya. He was against the Iraq war which is widely thought to be the spark that started ISIS.

10. Get corruption out of the government. He is an outsider who is tired of seeing Washington being ineffective at governing.

11. Then there are lots of superficial reasons I like him - he is funny and charismatic (he was the host of the Apprentice). He is down to earth and tries to relate to all Americans especially the working class. I think his wife and daughters are beautiful and it would be cool to have a hot first lady and presidents daughters.
That's not really a platform. That's a lot of blah blah blah.

For example: 1. Trade policy - we come first. No more shipping our jobs overseas for other countries to benefit while hard working Americans suffer.

How is he going to make that happen? Is he hoping Congress will pass a law forbidding private U.S. employers from opening up shops overseas? What will the effect be on consumer goods? Is that acceptable? Is he going to do it with tariffs? If so, what will the effect be on trade overall? How will it effect our largest trading partners?

A platform would be: "I will work with Congress to pass a law that A, B, and C. The effect of the law will be X, Y, and Z." Without that, there is no platform.

Another example: 5. No more race baiting or blaming the police force. How will that be enforced in light of the First Amendment right of free speech?

I'm all for some of the other things in what you're calling a platform--like rebuilding inner cities, working more on health care reform, and not starting any more wars. But those statements, without a plan to execute and pay for them, are just empty platitudes.

If there were any evidence of Trump having the political skill to carry out something like improving wages and creating jobs, I'd be all for it. But so far I haven't seen even a hint of skill or ability on his part.

Old 09-12-2016, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marlow View Post
That's not really a platform. That's a lot of blah blah blah.

For example: 1. Trade policy - we come first. No more shipping our jobs overseas for other countries to benefit while hard working Americans suffer.

How is he going to make that happen? Is he hoping Congress will pass a law forbidding private U.S. employers from opening up shops overseas? What will the effect be on consumer goods? Is that acceptable? Is he going to do it with tariffs? If so, what will the effect be on trade overall? How will it effect our largest trading partners?

A platform would be: "I will work with Congress to pass a law that A, B, and C. The effect of the law will be X, Y, and Z." Without that, there is no platform.

Another example: 5. No more race baiting or blaming the police force. How will that be enforced in light of the First Amendment right of free speech?

I'm all for some of the other things in what you're calling a platform--like rebuilding inner cities, working more on health care reform, and not starting any more wars. But those statements, without a plan to execute and pay for them, are just empty platitudes.

If there were any evidence of Trump having the political skill to carry out something like improving wages and creating jobs, I'd be all for it. But so far I haven't seen even a hint of skill or ability on his part.
You wanna call a hopeful vision for America as a lot of 'blah blah blah'. Then I don't know what to say to you other than what don't you like about what he wants to do for all of us? And as far as trade... stop TPP unlike Clinton/Kaine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections