Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-05-2016, 09:28 PM

13,684 posts, read 7,973,244 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
...Personally, I never answer my phone if I don't recognize the number.
I don`t either.

My guess is come 2020 there will be a new kind of method in place for many polling outfits.

Old 11-05-2016, 09:31 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,657,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
Yes, I know. I was being a little flippant, since I often rely on FiveThirtyEight for polling stats. However "real live" polling has been increasingly less reliable as more people drop their landlines.

"According to federal regulations, cellphones have to be manually dialed by an interviewer, whereas landlines can be dialed automatically using a device known as an autodialer. Manually dialing cellphone numbers takes time, which increases interviewing costs. Each cellphone interview can cost almost twice as much as each landline interview. For this reason, some pollsters choose to either dial fewer cellphones or to exclude them from their sample altogether."

Pew Research Center

Personally, I never answer my phone if I don't recognize the number.
I always answer the phone if I don't recognize the number. At my age it's the only excitement I have left. (Sorry mods, off topic)
Arizona has a chance for Clinton. RCP has Trump up 4 but down from 5. I don't think the polling here is counting the massive latino turnout. It's in record numbers.

Last edited by mohawkx; 11-05-2016 at 09:42 PM..

Old 11-05-2016, 09:34 PM

25,576 posts, read 56,455,902 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
Arizona has a chance for Clinton. RCP has Trump up 4 but down from 5.

I don't think the polling here is counting the massive latino turnout. It's in record numbers.
From other reports, sounds like the same is true in Nevada - and possibly Florida. He got a lot of people mad.

Old 11-05-2016, 10:06 PM

8,069 posts, read 6,965,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
From other reports, sounds like the same is true in Nevada - and possibly Florida. He got a lot of people mad.
Florida is complicated, as usual.

There will be an x amount of republicans latinos that will be voting against Trump but we also have had a lot of non-hispanic white republicans move to our state in the past 4 years.

To me it's just looks like it's gonna be a very close race again.

Old 11-05-2016, 11:08 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,596,242 times
Quote:
I always answer the phone if I don't recognize the number. At my age it's the only excitement I have left. (Sorry mods, off topic)
Arizona has a chance for Clinton. RCP has Trump up 4 but down from 5. I don't think the polling here is counting the massive latino turnout. It's in record numbers.

Hispanics here are in mass out voting for Trump. The illegal aliens that cannot vote, not so much. They are praying for a Hillary win.

Old 11-05-2016, 11:23 PM

30,612 posts, read 18,192,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Hispanics here are in mass out voting for Trump. The illegal aliens that cannot vote, not so much. They are praying for a Hillary win.
Thank God for voter ID.

Old 11-06-2016, 01:02 AM

13,684 posts, read 7,973,244 times
Oh, the Dems might try and cheat but it won`t be easy to get away with. Not this election. Not with everyone watching closely.

A recall will be demanded by both parties should the margin of victory be thin.

Old 11-06-2016, 05:04 AM

51,651 posts, read 25,790,245 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by john3232 View Post
Oh, the Dems might try and cheat but it won`t be easy to get away with. Not this election. Not with everyone watching closely.
Republicans accusing Democrats of cheating. Too funny.

Republican efforts to suppress the vote are becoming legend. The House has a Republican majority because of gerrymandered voting districts. (Enjoy it while it lasts. Guess who's going to on the case for the next round of redistricting.)

Republicans regularly purge voting rolls. The 8,000 they purged in Florida helped Bush make off with Florida's EC vote and they've been doing it ever since. A judge just told NC Republicans to put those thousands of names they recently purged off the lists right back on.

Then there are the efforts to restrict early voting in precincts with strong Democratic turnout. Once again overturned in NC.

Then there are the never ending attempts for voter I.D., something that disenfranchises a disproportionate number of low-income and elderly.

Everyone is indeed watching, judges included, this time around.

Old 11-06-2016, 05:12 AM

51,651 posts, read 25,790,245 times
Quote:
I don't think the polling here is counting the massive latino turnout. It's in record numbers.
I've heard it mentioned, but I haven't heard if posters have adjusted for either the uptick in Latino registration and turnout or for the percentage of folks, Latinos included, who only have cell phones or who don't answer landline phones if they don't recognize the number.

Old 11-06-2016, 05:24 AM

12,016 posts, read 12,746,342 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GotHereQuickAsICould View Post
I've heard it mentioned, but I haven't heard if posters have adjusted for either the uptick in Latino registration and turnout or for the percentage of folks, Latinos included, who only have cell phones or who don't answer landline phones if they don't recognize the number.
What do phones have to do with voting?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections