Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Should Gary Johnson be allowed in the 9/26/16 Debate?
Yes 65 61.32%
No 41 38.68%
Voters: 106. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 09-16-2016, 06:10 AM

414 posts, read 400,280 times

Advertisements

IMHO we need to not set up precedents for bending criteria. If he meets the criteria, he must participate in the debates. Rather than collect signatures now, supporters could have made their choices known during the primaries. We are past the primaries. It is not that he is not a worthy candidate. His supporters are just late getting to the "party". Start now for next time.

Old 09-16-2016, 06:48 AM

11,186 posts, read 6,504,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
what? Are you hoping that some perfect bon mot on Gary's part is going to turn the 92% of American voters who have decided to vote for T or C into instant Johnson voters? Wasn't that already decided in the primaries when he got 8% or less of the vote and lost every primary in every state by huge margins?
What exactly is the purpose, at this point? You want to disseminate a new message, do it in the primaries when the voters can decide, not in the champion playoffs where the division leaders have already won their field and are going for the gold.
Your view is why the D's and R's will remain in complete control of the country. Everything is built to keep 3rd parties on the fringe and you like it that way.

Nobody would expect Johnson to win the election. That said, it would be better for the country for a debate to have 10 minutes less of Clinton and Trump and 20 minutes of Johnson. It's not like people haven't heard the Big Two already and will hear plenty more before the election.

I agree changing the rules now isn't great, but it beats perpetuating a rotten standard forever.

Old 09-16-2016, 07:00 AM

12,772 posts, read 7,975,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
Your view is why the D's and R's will remain in complete control of the country. Everything is built to keep 3rd parties on the fringe and you like it that way.

Nobody would expect Johnson to win the election. That said, it would be better for the country for a debate to have 10 minutes less of Clinton and Trump and 20 minutes of Johnson. It's not like people haven't heard the Big Two already and will hear plenty more before the election.

I agree changing the rules now isn't great, but it beats perpetuating a rotten standard forever.
I see no reason why the rules cant be changed today and implemented for the next election. Things sometimes need to change, but they need to be fair to those who entered into something playing by those rules too.

Old 09-16-2016, 07:51 AM

9,911 posts, read 7,695,383 times
I am hopeful he'll be in the upcoming debate. If not Gary should work a deal out with YouTube holding his own debate answering the same questions in the debate.

Old 09-16-2016, 08:05 AM

25,569 posts, read 17,275,200 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohawkx View Post
what? Are you hoping that some perfect bon mot on Gary's part is going to turn the 92% of American voters who have decided to vote for T or C into instant Johnson voters? Wasn't that already decided in the primaries when he got 8% or less of the vote and lost every primary in every state by huge margins?
What exactly is the purpose, at this point? You want to disseminate a new message, do it in the primaries when the voters can decide, not in the champion playoffs where the division leaders have already won their field and are going for the gold.
Either I am reading your post wrong, or you have no understanding of the primary vote.

The country does not hold a primary. Political parties do, and they don't run against each other.
(1) Republicans held a primary.
(2) Democrats held a primary.
(3) Libertarians did not. And hopefully, they never will. Delegates at the party convention should select the candidate.

Old 09-16-2016, 08:21 AM

9,911 posts, read 7,695,383 times
Didn't Libertarians have a Primary and a Convention. Not sure how the process works though. I know the Green Party had a convention I believe.

Old 09-16-2016, 09:09 AM

11,186 posts, read 6,504,849 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
I see no reason why the rules cant be changed today and implemented for the next election. Things sometimes need to change, but they need to be fair to those who entered into something playing by those rules too.
I know we have a general standard of not changing rules in the middle of a game and Johnson won't be in the debates. imo, the games (debates) haven't yet started. The arbitrary rules, which are set by a private major party dominated group, shouldn't prevail over giving the public a fair chance to hear a legitimate 3rd voice this year.

Old 09-16-2016, 09:43 AM

3,040 posts, read 5,000,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RunD1987 View Post
Didn't Libertarians have a Primary and a Convention. Not sure how the process works though. I know the Green Party had a convention I believe.
The Libertarians did not have a primary, they had a convention which was held in Orlando, FL. The delegates are selected by each states Libertarian Party and I think there is about 1000 delegates for the convention. It is the delegates that determine who will win their seat to run for POTUS.

Old 09-16-2016, 09:52 AM

12,040 posts, read 6,567,177 times
I probably won't be voting for him, but I want him included in the first debate.
If his numbers don't go up, then exclude him from the rest of the debates.
I want to keep encouraging unaffiliated and independent candidates to run, and I think he will
bring a different perspective (Libertarian) and new ideas to the debate. We already know Hillary and Trump's answers to all the questions. Let's get a different perspective included.

Old 09-16-2016, 10:04 AM
bpb

46 posts, read 53,228 times
It's unfortunate we have the debates controlled directly by the two major parties via the Commission on Presidential Debates.

It also seems very easy, since the debates are not mandated or controlled by any laws, nor described in our constitution, for an outside entity to host debates apart from CPD. This has been tried before, but of course the major parties balked.

We deserve a better format. The 2008 and 2012 debates were entirely empty of useful content. The answers were so scripted that it was obvious then the topics/questions were known beforehand. I want the candidates to be challenged; I want to see how they answer unexpected topics. We don't get that now.

So yes, I think Johnson should be in these debates. He won't, because the CPD has an arbitrary limit of 15% to keep others out, and an alternative doesn't exist.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections