Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-21-2016, 02:23 PM

3,887 posts, read 4,539,685 times

Advertisements

"The Libertarian Party essentially stands for a return to all the worst abuses of the Gilded Age"

Paul Krugman Reveals What Libertarian Gary Johnson Really Stands For —and It's Terrifying

Paul Krugman summarizes:

"you have to believe that America will be better off in the long run if we eliminate environmental regulation, abolish the income tax, do away with public schools, and dismantle Social Security and Medicare — which is what the Libertarian platform calls for."

"It calls for abolition of the income tax and the privatization of almost everything the government does, including education. 'We would restore authority to parents to determine the education of their children, without interference from government.' And if parents don’t want their children educated, or want them indoctrinated in a cult, or put them to work in a sweatshop instead of learning to read? Not our problem.

What really struck me, however, was what the platform says about the environment. It opposes any kind of regulation; instead, it argues that we can rely on the courts. Is a giant corporation poisoning the air you breathe or the water you drink? Just sue: “Where damages can be proven and quantified in a court of law, restitution to the injured parties must be required.” Ordinary citizens against teams of high-priced corporate lawyers — what could go wrong?"

Obviously, Paul Krugman doesn't agree with the Libertarians, is he overstating and/or painting these issues in a negative light?

Are there positives to these ideas he's ignoring?

Would love to hear from Gary Johnson/Libertarian supporters for clarification.

There are some general things my husband (who seems to be hooked on Penn Jillette videos at the moment) and I like, but I'm not sure how they would work in the real world.

Thanks!
p.s. funny... my husband immigrated here from England in time for the Bush/Gore "chad" debacle, and now he's a citizen, and this is his first Presidential vote! Talk about timing! Lol!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-21-2016, 02:27 PM

12,772 posts, read 7,976,365 times
From the start its full of inaccuracies. So do I fear Johnson? Absolutely not. Do I fear intellectual moralists who think they are smarter than everyone having a medium to spew their misinformation and lies so they can manipulate people? Yes, yes I fear Paul Krugman.

Old 09-21-2016, 03:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by t206 View Post
From the start its full of inaccuracies. So do I fear Johnson? Absolutely not. Do I fear intellectual moralists who think they are smarter than everyone having a medium to spew their misinformation and lies so they can manipulate people? Yes, yes I fear Paul Krugman.
Could you please clarify any inaccuracies? And yes, I'm aware that Paul Krugman is very left leaning. This article was sent to me by my Bernie lovin' college kid btw.

Old 09-21-2016, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Podo944 View Post
Could you please clarify any inaccuracies? And yes, I'm aware that Paul Krugman is very left leaning. This article was sent to me by my Bernie lovin' college kid btw.
Well, I'll be honest, I stopped paying attention as soon as I saw the "do away with public schools" line as its a typical and often over repeated lie for people like Krugman.

Its futile to try and repute all of his lies and misrepresentations, but here is a start just on the education front. These are direct quotes from Gary Johnson himself, does this really sound like a guy in favor of completely getting rid of public schools? Krugman is a joke and he just thinks so much of himself that he thinks people will just blindly accept what he says.

Gary Johnson on Education

Quote:
Gov. Johnson believes there is no role for the Federal Government in education. He would eliminate the federal Department of Education, and return control to the state and local levels.
Quote:
People don’t realize that the federal Department of Education gives each state eleven cents out of every school dollar that every state spends. But it comes with 15 cents of strings attached. The Federal government says you need to do A, B, C and D and here’s eleven cents. Well, to do A, B, C and D, it costs you 15 cents.
Quote:
So you devolve education to the states, fifty laboratories of best practices. And I think the best practices that are going to emerge in the future are those states that really bring competition to the public education.
https://www.johnsonweld.com/education[/quote]
Quote:
Most importantly, Governor Johnson believes that state and local governments should have more control over education policy.

Old 09-21-2016, 09:14 PM

25,569 posts, read 17,275,200 times
Quote:
................"you have to believe that America will be better off in the long run if we eliminate environmental regulation, abolish the income tax, do away with public schools, and dismantle Social Security and Medicare — which is what the Libertarian platform calls for."

"It calls for abolition of the income tax and the privatization of almost everything the government does, including education. 'We would restore authority to parents to determine the education of their children, without interference from government.' And if parents don’t want their children educated, or want them indoctrinated in a cult, or put them to work in a sweatshop instead of learning to read? Not our problem.

What really struck me, however, was what the platform says about the environment. It opposes any kind of regulation; instead, it argues that we can rely on the courts. Is a giant corporation poisoning the air you breathe or the water you drink? Just sue: “Where damages can be proven and quantified in a court of law, restitution to the injured parties must be required.” Ordinary citizens against teams of high-priced corporate lawyers — what could go wrong?"............
eliminate environmental regulation:
Libertarian Party on Environment
If you follow the above link you will find that while Libertarians do advocate abolishing the EPA, they also make a good case for why it should not exist. EPA was founded in '72. So if global warming is the result of human activity and the EPA can stop it, why hasn't it done so? EPA is the source of enormous cost and no benefit. We have over 75 different blends of gasoline because of EPA.

do away with public schools:
Doing away with the U.S. Department of education, established in 1979, would give authority and responsibility back to the other 51 Departments of Education. Every DOE is comprised of educated dedicated professional educators, all of whom have qualifications equal to or better than every employee of the US Department of Education. Klugman's exaggeration will have to speak for itself. But our children were better educated in 1978, before Department of Education existed.

abolition of the income tax:
Johnson/Weld encourage everyone to look at the Fair Tax, which does abolish the income tax. They remind everyone, though, that no law can be passed except through the legislature. I, personally. like the Fair Tax, which eliminates the IRS.
Gary Johnson on Tax Reform

Old 09-22-2016, 03:18 AM

Thanks t206 and Listener... very useful information. I'll be looking into this further.

Anything else to add from you or anyone else welcome! It's very interesting.

Old 09-22-2016, 05:23 AM

9,362 posts, read 14,307,279 times
Quote:
Thanks t206 and Listener... very useful information. I'll be looking into this further.

Anything else to add from you or anyone else welcome! It's very interesting.
Krugman is not worth reading, much less citing.

The so-called Libertarians have some very interesting practical ideas, but too often couched in the framework of a stupid and ridiculous ideology, like most so-called political parties.

In my view, Gary Johnson is weak on territorial integrity and legality.

And it's not that he doesn't have interesting and practical ideas on trade, immigration and foreign wars, he does. But he fails to put first things first.

That is too big a flaw to overlook right now, in my view.

Right now there is a significant swathe of the population sick to death of having some of their basic rights trampled on by a selfish, arrogant, greedy, uncaring ruling class.

The only candidate addressing that existential issue is an inarticulate wild-card charlatan.

In parallel, it is galling that the ruling class is not allowing Johnson to participate in the debates, he should definitely be there.

In the event on November 8th, I hope he acts as spoiler to both.

Last edited by bale002; 09-22-2016 at 05:31 AM..

Old 09-22-2016, 07:33 PM

25,569 posts, read 17,275,200 times
Just in case anyone missed it, here's another reason The Department of Homeland Security should not exist:
Email shows federal immigration bosses in OT push to swear in new citizens 'due to election' | Fox News

Quote:
Johnson and Sen. Charles Grassley, R-Iowa, in a Wednesday letter to Department of Homeland Security Secretary Jeh Johnson, said it appears the agency is trying to swear in new citizens as the election between Democrat nominee Hillary Clinton and GOP choice Donald Trump approaches.
“Your department seems intent on approving as many naturalization cases as quickly as possible at a time when it should instead be putting on the brakes and reviewing past adjudications,” the senator’s letter read.
Johnson referred to a report this week from the Department of Homeland Security’s Inspector General that found at least 858 people from terror hotspots and other countries of concern had been mistakenly granted citizenship despite facing orders of deportation under other identities.
"Considering that USCIS already has a troubling record of inadequate review of naturalization applications, and mistakenly giving away citizenship to terrorists, criminals and other fraudsters, it is disturbing that they are now in full and blind rubber stamp mode to crank out new citizens," said Jessica Vaughan, director of Policy Studies for the Center for Immigration Studies.
The article goes on to report that DHS received 828,000 applications this year. Up from 815,000 last year.

Old 09-22-2016, 07:55 PM

4,344 posts, read 5,797,453 times
I wanted to know specifically on how he was planning on cutting the military (it effects my family and many of our friends).
Military Times' Q&A with Gary Johnson: How he'd lead as c | Military Times

He thinks Obama would make a great Supreme Court nominee, is for TPP, put fair tax in place and wants to raise retirement age.

This is a great site to start off with and research things on. Gary Johnson on the Issues

I've made up my mind on him.

Old 09-22-2016, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ladybug07 View Post
I wanted to know specifically on how he was planning on cutting the military (it effects my family and many of our friends).
Military Times' Q&A with Gary Johnson: How he'd lead as c | Military Times

He thinks Obama would make a great Supreme Court nominee, is for TPP, put fair tax in place and wants to raise retirement age.

This is a great site to start off with and research things on. Gary Johnson on the Issues

I've made up my mind on him.
Do you have a link on him supporting Obama as a SCOTUS nominee?

Also, people need to face the fact that retirement age has to go up as folks get older, but he isn't for changing it for folks that are close to retiring. Its a good idea to change it for the much younger crowd so they have time to prepare for it, not that half of the people actually prepare adequately for it anyway.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections