Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-24-2016, 10:46 PM

19,792 posts, read 13,867,824 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
I read an analysis a while back that the project would take six years at minimum - at an outrageous cost.

Building of the wall is completely unfeasible - financially, logistically, politically, - and a whole number of other reasons.

I guarantee - should Trump be elected - he will be walking that back - just as he did his five-year birther vendetta - with the fabulous one-liner -
"I ended it. And, you know what I mean."
OMG - the snookering never ends.

Should this country have the misfortune of this clown as president - the laughing will be nonstop as he walks back every single one of his "promises."
What do you mean? Trump said it would be great <in his best Tony the Tiger voice> and the Mexicans will pay for it -- and it will be so tall airplanes full of illegals won't be able to fly over it.

===============================

But what is quite interesting is that nobody who thinks that the wall will happen has addressed any of the points in the video.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2016, 10:52 PM

51,573 posts, read 25,482,936 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
I read an analysis a while back that the project would take six years at minimum - at an outrageous cost.

Building of the wall is completely unfeasible - financially, logistically, politically, - and a whole number of other reasons.

I guarantee - should Trump be elected - he will be walking that back - just as he did his five-year birther vendetta - with the fabulous one-liner -
"I ended it. And, you know what I mean."
OMG - the snookering never ends.

Should this country have the misfortune of this clown as president - the laughing will be nonstop as he walks back every single one of his "promises."
Wouldn't it be a hoot if he was actually a Democrat pulling the wool over the gullible eyes of the Duck Dynasty/KKK/Breitbart crowd?

Too funny.

Old 09-24-2016, 10:54 PM

19,792 posts, read 13,867,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by boxus View Post
Paying for it is easy, just add a charge to Mexican citizens who wish to enter the US.

I think the wall is a dumb idea, but it is not like walls and fences do not work when placed in good areas. Israel has one, a few European countries through up one to stem the flow of refugees, Norway is building one near its border crossing, Ceuta has one, the list goes on.

The best way to stem illegal immigration is to end NAFTA.
Israel doesn't have a 2,000 mile wall, over rough terrain, that goes through mountains, rivers, villages and private property. The cost is more than NASA's budget and still won't stop a large portion of immigrants, since they fly in legally and overstay their visa.

Old 09-24-2016, 11:30 PM

18,082 posts, read 18,674,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
Israel doesn't have a 2,000 mile wall, over rough terrain, that goes through mountains, rivers, villages and private property. The cost is more than NASA's budget and still won't stop a large portion of immigrants, since they fly in legally and overstay their visa.
I said that when placed in an appropriate place, that a wall or fence works.

They come by air/visa because the US issues this, stop issuing and they will come via land, illegally crossing into the US.

But as I said, the wall is a dumb idea. Do away with NAFTA, the cause of the massive illegal immigration from Mexico, and a lot of this will solve itself. After that, then start working on the other things to reduce illegal immigration.

The Israel wall is 400 miles long, so the US, having a superior economy and sizable population, should be easily able to build a damn simple, 2000 mile wall. People are acting like this is some impossible task or something, it is just a wall.

Old 09-24-2016, 11:47 PM

9,725 posts, read 15,102,321 times
Quote:
But as I said, the wall is a dumb idea. Do away with NAFTA, the cause of the massive illegal immigration from Mexico, and a lot of this will solve itself. After that, then start working on the other things to reduce illegal immigration.
Doing away with NAFTA is a dumb idea. NAFTA is the reason companies put good paying jobs in Mexico -- and those good paying jobs stop Mexicans from moving here. We want Mexico to have a good economy.

Old 09-24-2016, 11:59 PM

18,082 posts, read 18,674,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UB50 View Post
Doing away with NAFTA is a dumb idea. NAFTA is the reason companies put good paying jobs in Mexico -- and those good paying jobs stop Mexicans from moving here. We want Mexico to have a good economy.
Illegal immigration increased greatly after NAFTA was enacted. In 1990, only 1.9 million illegals from Mexico were in the US. In 1995, that number increased to 2.9 million, by 2007, that number was 6.9 million. It has decreased to 5.6 million in 2014.

Wave Of Illegal Immigrants Gains Speed After NAFTA : NPR

Globalization and NAFTA Caused Migration from Mexico | Political Research Associates

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/02/18/we...elle.html?_r=0

NAFTA did not help Mexico...

Old 09-25-2016, 12:05 AM

15,088 posts, read 13,384,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mightleavenyc View Post
Sorry. We are building a wall, Mexico will pay for it, and you will learn to like it.
And you became dictator of policy when, exactly?

Old 09-25-2016, 12:06 AM

15,088 posts, read 13,384,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ELOrocks17 View Post
Doesn't Mexico have a wall on their southern border? How is that working out for them? I guess Adam didn't want to "ruin" that..
No, they don't. That's just another among the many conspiracy idiocies that I guess conservatives are programmed to believe due to what I can only assume to be some genetic flaw.

Old 09-25-2016, 12:26 AM

9,725 posts, read 15,102,321 times
Quote:
Illegal immigration increased greatly after NAFTA was enacted. In 1990, only 1.9 million illegals from Mexico were in the US. In 1995, that number increased to 2.9 million, by 2007, that number was 6.9 million. It has decreased to 5.6 million in 2014.

Wave Of Illegal Immigrants Gains Speed After NAFTA : NPR

Globalization and NAFTA Caused Migration from Mexico | Political Research Associates

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/02/18/we...elle.html?_r=0

NAFTA did not help Mexico...
Well, according to this article http://www.nytimes.com/2007/02/18/we...elle.html?_r=0, without NAFTA, immigration would have increased even more. There were a lot of factors at work.

Old 09-25-2016, 01:04 AM

4,840 posts, read 9,866,357 times
Having a border wall will significantly reduce the flow of illegal immigrants coming into the country. Of course it won't 100% stop it, but would slow it down considerably.

I personally think Trumps wall idea is ridiculous, and even more ridiculous that everyone expects Mexico to pay for it. But Hillary won't do jack s*** about our borders, so who do I choose? This country needs stronger borders.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections