U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-23-2008, 03:17 AM

28,220 posts, read 47,641,499 times

Advertisements

For many black Americans, it's a conversation they find hard to avoid, revisiting old fears in the light of bright new hopes.

They watch with wonder as Barack Obama moves ever closer to becoming America's first black president. And they ask themselves, their family, their friends: Is he at risk? Will he be safe?

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2008/02/22/national/a103242S96.DTL (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-23-2008, 04:19 AM

267 posts, read 785,002 times
People have been saying this for a long time. I think every potential president is at risk. People get VERY worked up over politics and their personal beliefs.

A fear such as that should not hinder anyone from running, though.

Old 02-23-2008, 04:23 AM

1,214 posts, read 1,699,033 times
This is an unfortunate possibility.

I'm no fan of Obama. But, I certainly respect his accomplishments.

The threat may not necessarily be from some nutty racist, but more so from some whacko with no clear, real or even sane motive. Like we're seeing happening all over - From the inner cities to the surburban schools and the universities.

People can always try to tie a motive to a killing - From the poverty of the inner city to the social ostracizing (real or imagined) in the schools and universities. But, let's face it - there is no justification for shooting any unarmed victim (that is not an immediate physical threat) - And this goes for shooting a store clerk, student or a politician.

But, there are about 250 million people in this country - Each with their own particular personality. And, like anything that has a large population (or number), some are simply defective. Unfortunately, as defective human beings, people have a greater ability to cause harm.

I wish Obama well, and safety. But, any of the candidates are at equal danger. Remember Reagan was very close to getting killed (it does happen to whites also).

Old 02-23-2008, 10:31 PM

5,233 posts, read 7,742,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by migee View Post
The threat may not necessarily be from some nutty racist, but more so from some whacko with no clear, real or even sane motive.
There's a couple of folks in this forum that come to mind.

Old 02-23-2008, 11:24 PM

19,872 posts, read 22,800,537 times
Yeah, I understand (and share) the concern.

Ken

Old 02-23-2008, 11:36 PM

1,030 posts, read 1,178,148 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by John1960 View Post
For many black Americans, it's a conversation they find hard to avoid, revisiting old fears in the light of bright new hopes.

They watch with wonder as Barack Obama moves ever closer to becoming America's first black president. And they ask themselves, their family, their friends: Is he at risk? Will he be safe?

Article Not Found! (http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2008/02/22/national/a103242 - broken link)
S96.DTL (http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?f=/n/a/2008/02/22/national/a103242S96.DTL - broken link)

I'm not really that concerned at all. These days security for presidents is extremely tight. I mean look, nobody has assassinated George Bush, and he is perhaps the most hated person on the planet.

If nobody can get to Bush, then Obama has it made in the shade, unless it's an inside job. And that would only happen if there's an attempted coup.

Old 02-24-2008, 12:28 AM

4,954 posts, read 7,887,434 times
Of COUSE he's at risk. I'm sure he is well aware of it as well.

Old 02-24-2008, 12:35 AM

8,062 posts, read 16,223,428 times
I think regular citizens have more to fear if Obama loses. There will be riots in some big cities.

Old 02-24-2008, 07:42 AM

5,233 posts, read 7,742,661 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nietzschean Gangsta View Post
I'm not really that concerned at all. These days security for presidents is extremely tight. I mean look, nobody has assassinated George Bush, and he is perhaps the most hated person on the planet.

If nobody can get to Bush, then Obama has it made in the shade, unless it's an inside job. And that would only happen if there's an attempted coup.
Bush isn't a populist. You couldn't get into his campaign events if you had the wrong bumper sticker on your car. It's not always whether the Secret Service can do their job, but whether the person (Obama) is willing to sacrifice keeping in touch in exchange for total, complete security. Bush has no problem with that.

Did you see the campaign event where Obama went out and addressed the overflow crowd outside of the event building? You want to see a bunch of jumpy secret service guys? Then watch:

YouTube - Obama addresses overflow crowd in Lebanon

Old 02-24-2008, 08:22 AM

184 posts, read 1,409,113 times
I don't think anyone who was a teenager or older in the late 1960s can ever completely dismiss the possibility of harm to any "polarizing" President or candidate....

Of course it's not AS likely now as then (due to increased security) but of course it is POSSIBLE.

Bush has never inspired the kind of personal motivational hatred that a non-traditional candidate or President might.

IMO the increased risk (however large or small it may be) to Obama as the nominee or President makes his choice of VP even more important.

Then again, one can say the same about McCain based on his age and/or age-related health. But at least that's not dependent on whacko outside forces (well, not since the days of the Borgias anyway!).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or