Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2016, 09:29 AM

12,372 posts, read 9,312,855 times

Advertisements

I try very hard not to get drawn into political discussions on Facebook but it's getting increasingly harder to do, especially when people tag you to a post, trying to goat you into reading their links. I don't post political stuff. I have lost respect for a few family members over this election and I don't think that will ever come back.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2016, 09:32 AM

6,393 posts, read 4,115,163 times
I absolutely refuse to talk about politics with my family.

Old 09-29-2016, 09:32 AM

52,431 posts, read 26,628,813 times
I don't know anyone who will admit to supporting Hillary Clinton. And I know lots of people.

Old 09-29-2016, 09:33 AM

33,571 posts, read 18,161,091 times
One I know one who is not voting at all..a young fellow who liked Bernie. All the rest of family and friends voting Trump.. saw my neighbors in line at the Trump rally in Fort Myers. Unbelievable since there were 30 thousand people there.

Old 09-29-2016, 09:35 AM

6,752 posts, read 3,368,819 times
I have a lot of friends that are part of a Vegas Group and we have known each other for over 15 years. People from all over, and we've had many "meets" in Vegas over the years.

One of the guys that runs the Facebook page banned me from the group over comments I made about something George Clooney said. My comment was "who cares what he thinks?" and it got heated from there.

It really is petty and ridiculous that friends and family are taking this election so personally. Everyone's had arguments before, but I don't recall things ever getting this volatile. Maybe it's a sign of the times and a reaction to what we see happening almost every single day.

Old 09-29-2016, 09:37 AM

4,040 posts, read 2,557,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
Don't talk about it. Usually on the same page with my peer group, but not this year. I have to vote for the candidate with a brain. Everyone else seems to like the candidate who lies every time he opens his mouth. The more outrageous the statement, the better they like. They're getting off on it, with no regard to the real world consequences. So, I've just shut up. And, actually, find I avoid interaction b/c I've lost respect for these people and their willingness to tolerate the lies and course discourse. People who are not normally ignorant rednecks have become supporters of that. Sad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. In-Between View Post
Family's not a problem, because both sides of mine have a high-IQ gene. If any of my relatives were stupid enough to vote for Trump, the rest of us would immediately know they were adopted. And, pretty much the same with friends - I could never be true friends with someone that dumb.

But I do see it a bit on facebook. One of my high school girlfriends is a rabid Trumphead, and while she doesn't broadcast it, if the subject comes up she'll occasionally make a pretty strident comment that comes out of nowhere and makes you blink a couple of times. I have a couple of other extremely conservative FB friends who are voting for him, but it seems clear they're not exactly wild about the idea. I figure, why even talk about it?

I rarely discuss politics in real life, no matter who I'm with. Why would I do it on social media? I'm a policy wonk; I love talking policy with anyone I come across, but quickly lose interest when the conversation turns to ideology. I can't see what good could come of shouting "I hate so-and-so!!!" on Facebook. What's the point?
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
My Republican brother-in-law and I got into it on Facebook a few weeks ago. He hates Trump but hates Clinton more, and it got a little heated. My sister stepped in and reminded us Thanksgiving is just around the corner and could we please keep it civil. We stopped, and have refrained from talking politics since. I won't go there again with him.

I've been surprised by some people I thought I knew who are supporting Trump. It's definitely changed the way I think of them, but I won't be going there with any of them, either. In my view, it's a waste of time to try to have a rational discussion with anyone who could support Donald Trump.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
I try very hard not to get drawn into political discussions on Facebook but it's getting increasingly harder to do, especially when people tag you to a post, trying to goat you into reading their links. I don't post political stuff. I have lost respect for a few family members over this election and I don't think that will ever come back.

LOL

Here you have it folks.

Four great examples of the tolerant left.

"Everyone else seems to like the candidate who lies every time he opens his mouth."
But they support the transparent forthright never shady Hillary Clinton???LOLOLOL

"I've been surprised by some people I thought I knew who are supporting Trump."
Same story from LOTS of Dems. Why?

Well I am 100% certain that all of you will discredit their intelligence and/or call them closet sexist/racist/whateverist. But that isn't it at all.

The real reason is that not all of your Dem friends and family can find it in themselves to stomach such a crooked and vile person like some of you seem to be able to do time after time.

You guys are going to be blown away by the results come Nov9.

Old 09-29-2016, 09:41 AM

19,632 posts, read 12,226,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
Thats the problem, some things cannot be undone. Its not just rah-rah for my candidate, its saying horrible things directly to and about the people who disagree on a personal level - and not in a joking way. I could take some razzing and spirited debate, but it is the belittling, insulting and even threatening coming from people seemingly out of nowhere. What kind of person does that to a friend or relative? Not a good person and it wont always be forgiven or forgotten.

Old 09-29-2016, 09:44 AM

20,702 posts, read 12,533,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAMS14 View Post
it's a waste of time to try to have a rational discussion with anyone who could support Donald Trump.
I don't do Facebook and thankfully people that I know aren't voting for Trump or not admitting it. Even a friend that watches Fox News all day long.

Old 09-29-2016, 09:44 AM

16,376 posts, read 22,486,570 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucius Merriweather III View Post
There have been a large number of stories in the news lately about liberals stealing Trump signs from private property. Liberals are a direct threat to free speech and honest and open debate. I cannot respect people like that.
What if it's Gary Johnson supporters, or Republicans that are anti-Trump? There are plenty of both of this group. Plus there are a lot of Independents that hate Trump. Don't forget moderate Democrats.

Botton line, it's not only Liberals that are anti-Trump.

Old 09-29-2016, 09:46 AM

30,369 posts, read 19,162,886 times
I rarely get political on Facebook. I work in the Middle East and most people here hate Trump so they want me to also but I don't so I'm kind of hoping they fire me and send me home.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections