Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-05-2016, 11:17 AM

5,472 posts, read 3,218,266 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bureaucat View Post
Coal has been declining long before the EPA was founded, let alone since Obama was elected. The eastern coalfields have been depleted of their easily mined deposits. Getting the remainder out is much more expensive and natural gas is cleaner and more cost effective, unless you want to completely sack environmental standards and issue every man, woman and child a gas mask. Nothing is going to bring back all of the jobs that at one time existed in the eastern coal fields. Absolutely nothing.
It's pointless to try and explain some things to some of these people. They are spinning in Nostalgia, trying to hope for a recreation of yesterday's. It's sad but likely many of these people are early or later stage baby boomers, thinking about the past which was not some rose garden as they have confabulations about, unaware that things have been in a cycle of change since the late 1960's on a rapid cycle. They likely simply just don't want to grasp that the world will never again repeat times that has already existed.

Last edited by Chance and Change; 10-05-2016 at 11:27 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-05-2016, 11:23 AM

10,105 posts, read 7,372,265 times
coal exists in abundance and is like 50 percent of our energy source. it isn't nostalgia. the reality is the Democrat party is full of cavemen who are anti-coal as though it is scary.

Old 10-05-2016, 11:24 AM

10,105 posts, read 7,372,265 times
Quote:
And global warming deniers are self-deluding fools.
it is the end of the world and i feel fine

Old 10-05-2016, 11:57 AM

37,780 posts, read 40,945,105 times
Maybe like me, they wonder why, if Hillary has such long political longevity (in dog years it's like 100), she hasn't done any of the things before that she's promising to do now.

Old 10-05-2016, 12:05 PM

15,706 posts, read 11,757,242 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Maybe like me, they wonder why, if Hillary has such long political longevity (in dog years it's like 100), she hasn't done any of the things before that she's promising to do now.
She's never been President and didn't have the power or influence to do everything before? Her votes in the Senate were attempts to accomplish many of which she's proposing. But she had 99 other people to try and get to agree.

Old 10-05-2016, 12:16 PM

4,040 posts, read 2,551,788 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
She's never been President and didn't have the power or influence to do everything before? Her votes in the Senate were attempts to accomplish many of which she's proposing. But she had 99 other people to try and get to agree.
That is simply not true.

She sponsored ONE bill that actually made it through in 8 years.
This bill was to change the name of a library in honor of Thurgood Marshall.

Here are the other three that she was co sponsor on:

1. S.3145 - A bill to designate a portion of United States Route 20A, located in Orchard Park, New York, as the "Timothy J. Russert Highway".
  2. S.3613 - A bill to designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 2951 New York Highway 43 in Averill Park, New York, as the "Major George Quamo Post Office Building".
  3. S.1241 - Kate Mullany National Historic Site Act

So she is VERY VERY good at taking ordinary things like libraries and roads and making them "historical".

Specifically addressing the last sentence, that will STILL be the case.

Old 10-05-2016, 01:37 PM

45,453 posts, read 27,066,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chadgates View Post
That is simply not true.

She sponsored ONE bill that actually made it through in 8 years.
This bill was to change the name of a library in honor of Thurgood Marshall.

Here are the other three that she was co sponsor on:

1. S.3145 - A bill to designate a portion of United States Route 20A, located in Orchard Park, New York, as the "Timothy J. Russert Highway".
  2. S.3613 - A bill to designate the facility of the United States Postal Service located at 2951 New York Highway 43 in Averill Park, New York, as the "Major George Quamo Post Office Building".
  3. S.1241 - Kate Mullany National Historic Site Act

So she is VERY VERY good at taking ordinary things like libraries and roads and making them "historical".

Specifically addressing the last sentence, that will STILL be the case.
Seems like Trump should be bringing these things up.

Old 10-05-2016, 06:03 PM

33,932 posts, read 16,970,202 times
Quote:
Coal has been declining long before the EPA was founded, let alone since Obama was elected. The eastern coalfields have been depleted of their easily mined deposits. Getting the remainder out is much more expensive and natural gas is cleaner and more cost effective, unless you want to completely sack environmental standards and issue every man, woman and child a gas mask. Nothing is going to bring back all of the jobs that at one time existed in the eastern coal fields. Absolutely nothing.

Of course you fail to mention HRC's promise to destroy coal jobs. While it has declined long-term, it sped up under Obama. What was HRC's comment, except a spike of the football in the faces of coal miners.

Trump was largely created by the reaction against the 2 most arrogant Democrats of my lifetime, Obama and Hillary Clinton.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IBq6xbUIrf8

(19 second mark is her infamous smear, a/k/a quote)

Old 10-05-2016, 06:07 PM

30,235 posts, read 23,684,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kat in aiken View Post
It is clear by his history and behavior that the only thing trump is for, is trump himself.

"Trump has not committed any crimes by purchasing his steel and aluminum from China, nor did he engage in wrongdoing by using Chinese textile factories to make his clothing lines. But, given the only beneficiaries of his decisions to go with cheaper Chinese metals for his construction project are Trump and his family, he is not someone who ever attempted to lead by example by only buying products made in America. He filled his bank accounts with millions of dollars that could have gone to blue-collar workers, many of whom now believe he is the man who will bring back the jobs that he secretly helped to destroy,"

How Trump Ditched U.S. Steel Workers in Favor of China
I might ask the same of Hillary supporters. Why on earth would anyone in the working class support her? She has proven time and again to be extremely self serving, and not once has she ever admitted to doing something wrong or being wrong. It's always someone elses fault...we've had 8 years of it being someone elses fault, never the one where the "buck stops here"...this country and the people in it can't afford, literally cannot afford another year of this.

But put your purple sad face away....it's still up in the air who might win. You may get your lying, corrupt criminal who will turn her back on you now that she got your vote in to the WH, afterall.

You may not. And then we can finally move forward as a country again. We can start to repair the damage that has been done.

We've still got a month to go. Sad faces come out after the election...hopefully it will be you again, but it may be me. Who knows.

Old 10-05-2016, 06:55 PM

7,185 posts, read 3,693,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
and you think for one second Hillary isn't in this for Hillary? She wants to go down in history as the first woman president. I don't blame her for that, but she could care less about you, me or anyone else in our country. That is my opinion. Trump might care about Trump first, but he is an outsider. Many plain Americans like that. They are tired of Washington as it has become in the past 25 years. Of course he isn't going to bring that many jobs back, send the illegals back home or do 1/2 of what he claims he will do, but he is giving some people new hope. She is not doing anything except using her phony smile to turn people off. She doesn't have one really new idea.
Of course she is. Did you think that anyone at all who runs for political office doesn't have an incredible amount of self-interest? That would be as naive as thinking that any politician, and I include trump in this, tells nothing but gawd's own truth. Those who accuse the other side of being blind to lies and self interest are being disingenuous at best.

That clinton has actually done or attempted to do things that would affect people's lives for the better - things like CHIP and veteran's benefit stuff, the good that the clinton foundation does in the world (and I really think if people don't believe the clinton foundation hasn't done a bit of good in the world, they are simply ignoring the truth) - as opposed to trump, who has been in court and/or settled his way through thousands of litigations in which he has been accused of cheating, corruption, discrimination, fraud, racketeering, and bribery, along with taking bankruptcy multiple times and claiming tax offsets involving using other people's money as though it was his own.

I truly do not understand how it is, if trump supporters realize he really doesn't intend to do much of what he talks about, they still think he's such a great idea. Or, how they get any 'hope' out of what he is spreading. I watch the rallies, read the 'policy statements' on his site, and still don't see that he has anything to get excited about. Not that I'm all that excited about any of the people that were nominated this time, and think there were far better choices available.

I can think of one new idea - clinton's healthcare plan would attempt (I say 'attempt' because I'm sure we all understand that not everything gets accomplished when others are involved in the decision) to help halt the runaway inflation in pricing of healthcare. Not too many politicians (actually, more like 'none') have actually suggested that the big healthcare companies rein themselves in at all. There are others, but you only seemed to be asking for one.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections