Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2016, 01:26 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,261,787 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by lisanicole1 View Post
How many days do all you think would be a reasonable extension? 2 days? Ok. Or more because all of these "events" need to be coordinated and rescheduled?
Two days after Columbus Day (mail holiday).

We just lost two entire days in parts of Florida. And Herr Scott kept telling people over and over and over to not leave their homes. Now he'll punish them for doing as he and the state requested? Give me a break.

Why would it even be a problem to allow people who have been forced to stay inside for two days, due to a natural disaster and with the deadline falling on a holiday, to exercise their Constitutional rights?

What is amazing is that the same people who are always whining about government tyranny and their 'rights' are the ones whining about the right of others to vote.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2016, 01:28 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,739,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by burdell View Post
Looks more like the Governor would rather force people outside in dangerous conditions. That God's work too?
oh come on: you know better than to make a statement like that.

Old 10-07-2016, 01:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTQ3000 View Post
As of August, the Democrats had gained 280,000 registered voters on the Republicans between 2012 and 2016. Republicans still have more registered voters, but the gap is closing fast.

Not sure who this decision would benefit, though Scott clearly thinks that Trump would. We shall see.

Mick
Probably no one is going to gain or lose much, but I doubt this had a lot to do with his decision. The fact remains people have had plenty of time to register and unless. homes are washed away and the state is left with no power, no means of transportation and totally under water there will still be time for those who really want to register to do so. I am guessing most people planning on voting and taking their duty seriosly have already registered.

Old 10-07-2016, 01:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
why are so many people given so much time to register in the first place? What happened to the old policy; you had to be registered 3 months before voting: I think some states allow registration up to the day of election.

Thank Gov. Scott. Good for you.
Whose 'old' policy? Each state has different rules.

This is voting we are talking about--not getting a hotel reservation.

Scott is doing this because he is a partisan hack who has never ever cared about the people of Florida. But what can one expect from a governor who has always put his own interests and those of the insurance industry over the citizens of Florida? He is famous for making unilateral dictatorial decisions without consulting anyone else.

He should not be admired, but shamed.

"Barbara Goodman, the president of the Florida League of Women Voters, said her organization was "extremely disappointed" in Scott's decision, especially his apparent failure to consult with local election officials before making a decision.

"What is the harm in extending voter registration in these areas?" asked Goodman, who lives in Palm Beach County and said she'd lost power at her home. "Why would he not be open to that?"

Florida Gov. Rick Scott Under Fire for Voter Registration Decision - NBC News

Old 10-07-2016, 01:36 PM

8,069 posts, read 6,970,740 times
Quote:
why are so many people given so much time to register in the first place? What happened to the old policy; you had to be registered 3 months before voting: I think some states allow registration up to the day of election.

Thank Gov. Scott. Good for you.
LOL Why are you thanking him? You don't even live here. Are you worried about all those Florida taxes you paid?

More bipartisan nonsense. I'm actually glad he did this because I'm sure it's gonna hurt him BIGLY as the counties who won't be able to do crap on Tuesday are heavily republican. Those of us who live in the democratic areas have power and no storm damage so good luck with such nonsense.

Old 10-07-2016, 01:39 PM

3,841 posts, read 1,979,018 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
Two days after Columbus Day (mail holiday).

We just lost two entire days in parts of Florida. And Herr Scott kept telling people over and over and over to not leave their homes. Now he'll punish them for doing as he and the state requested? Give me a break.

Why would it even be a problem to allow people who have been forced to stay inside for two days, due to a natural disaster and with the deadline falling on a holiday, to exercise their Constitutional rights?

What is amazing is that the same people who are always whining about government tyranny and their 'rights' are the ones whining about the right of others to vote.
Listen, I do not whine about others right to vote. I also do not wait until the last minute to register to do anything. You never know what can come up (sick kid, sick myself, etc. ). If something personal came up and I could not make it to the last day of registration I would not get an extension. Always best not to wait until the last minute. That said, I do not find a 2 day extension that unreasonable. However, maybe the logistics do not work. I do not pretend to know what is involved in getting this extension.

Old 10-07-2016, 01:41 PM

19,842 posts, read 12,102,488 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugah Ray View Post
LOL Why are you thanking him? You don't even live here. Are you worried about all those Florida taxes you paid?

More bipartisan nonsense. I'm actually glad he did this because I'm sure it's gonna hurt him BIGLY as the counties who won't be able to do crap on Tuesday are heavily republican. Those of us who live in the democratic areas have power and no storm damage so good luck with such nonsense.
The post right above yours is talking about power being out in blue Palm Beach County.

Old 10-07-2016, 01:42 PM

Quote:
Probably no one is going to gain or lose much, but I doubt this had a lot to do with his decision. The fact remains people have had plenty of time to register and unless. homes are washed away and the state is left with no power, no means of transportation and totally under water there will still be time for those who really want to register to do so. I am guessing most people planning on voting and taking their duty seriosly have already registered.
Just curious, but do you live in Florida? Have experience with hurricanes? Your opinion seems to be based on some sort of 'expertise' regarding Florida disasters, logistics and voting.

Scott has often and blatantly made decisions based on partisan politics. He does not care at all about the residents and most of us are aware that his political needs usually take precedence over the needs of the residents.

Old 10-07-2016, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enigma777 View Post
Whose 'old' policy? Each state has different rules.

This is voting we are talking about--not getting a hotel reservation.

Scott is doing this because he is a partisan hack who has never ever cared about the people of Florida. But what can one expect from a governor who has always put his own interests and those of the insurance industry over the citizens of Florida? He is famous for making unilateral dictatorial decisions without consulting anyone else.

He should not be admired, but shamed.

"Barbara Goodman, the president of the Florida League of Women Voters, said her organization was "extremely disappointed" in Scott's decision, especially his apparent failure to consult with local election officials before making a decision.

"What is the harm in extending voter registration in these areas?" asked Goodman, who lives in Palm Beach County and said she'd lost power at her home. "Why would he not be open to that?"

Florida Gov. Rick Scott Under Fire for Voter Registration Decision - NBC News
of course they all had their own policies and still do, but for most states, registration was done much earlier. I am going back, maybe way before you were old enough to vote, I don't know, but this also held true with primary voting. Just like today, each state had its own policy, but many of the states either had March voting or early June. They didn't string it out for months and months. I think Iowa always had the caucus method and always the first, with NH the second. Also serious campaigning didn't get underway until mid Sept. I am basing this mostly on memory, I am not going to research every detail right now, but it would be interesting to do so.

Old 10-07-2016, 01:44 PM

4,040 posts, read 2,557,052 times
No one bothered to tell these folks an election was coming up probably.

They JUST found out about it and now the darn hurricane stripped them of their right to vote.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections