Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-07-2016, 01:29 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,290,257 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeerGeek40 View Post
Wanting to stop ILLEGAL IMMIGRATION does not make one a racist.
That part of things --- Trump has correct.
Trump is opposed to immigration in general, not illegal immigration. He's been very clear he wants to ban Muslims, and all foreigners from countries unfriendly to the U.S., or with different cultural values than the U.S.

He's a bigot. He doesn't like minorities and people different from him (women, different religions, different skin colors, disabled people, etc.). He insults them and mocks them for who they are. Which is why most mainstream Republicans are holding their nose and voting Third Party, Clinton or just sitting this one out.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-07-2016, 01:32 PM

10,275 posts, read 10,290,257 times
Quote:
Wanting to stop refugees from middle eastern hell-holes, so we can find out who these people are first, and make sure we aren't letting in terrorists....ALSO DOES NOT MAKE ONE A RACIST. It makes one smart. Trump has this part of things correct too.
Yeah, it actually does. That's pretty much the definition of racism/bigotry- treating people different because of inherent characteristics like color, ethnicity, religion, etc. If you want to ban all Muslims from coming to the U.S., you're a bigot.

If you personally think racism is "smart", you're entitled to your opinion, of course. But it's clearly the dictionary definition of racism.

Old 10-07-2016, 01:36 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,282,885 times
Quote:
Wanting to stop refugees from middle eastern hell-holes, so we can find out who these people are first, and make sure we aren't letting in terrorists....ALSO DOES NOT MAKE ONE A RACIST. It makes one smart. Trump has this part of things correct too.
It's not JUST the ME that's MUSLIM - and thus would be affected by the ban. It's places like SINGAPORE, one of the richest, safest, most peaceful countries on earth - a place with the 2nd lowest crime rate of any nation on earth (crime rate is 1/3rd that of the U.S.).

And YES it IS racist and NOT SMART. Most people recognize that - which is why Trump doing so poorly.
All Trump statement does is TICK OFF MILLIONS of Muslims around the world - the very Muslims that are fighting and dying in the battle against ISIS. The VAST MAJORITY of victims of ISIS etc are MUSLIMS. Why should ALL MUSLIMS be banned for the actions of a small minority of whackjobs? Do so is (pretty much by DEFINITION) RACIST.
:smackL
Now you can deny it all you want, but it's your mentality which will cost the GOP the election. YOU are part of their problem, and until you and folks like you realize that the GOP is doomed.
Personally I'm OK with that. So, the MORE you deny the problem the HAPPIER I AM.
Just sayin'.

The GOP post-mortum after the last Presidential defeat went over ALL that, and came to the very same conclusions I have - and then you folks just went ahead and made the very same mistake AGAIN (even more so this time0 - doubling down on racism and stupidity). Apparently you can lead a Republican to knowledge but you can't make him think.

But, feel free to believe that banning an entire religion is not racist. It just means you STILL haven't learned anything and will have STILL MORE political defeats to come in the years ahead.

Ken

Old 10-07-2016, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOLA101 View Post
Yeah, it actually does. That's pretty much the definition of racism/bigotry- treating people different because of inherent characteristics like color, ethnicity, religion, etc. If you want to ban all Muslims from coming to the U.S., you're a bigot.

If you personally think racism is "smart", you're entitled to your opinion, of course. But it's clearly the dictionary definition of racism.
Exactly right.

Ken

Old 10-07-2016, 01:51 PM

17,387 posts, read 9,211,900 times
Quote:
A while back I thought Trump was our answer. Now after seeing him in action over the past 6 months, he's merely the lesser of two evils. I really thought he would have done a much better job of getting a good message out there.

Gary Johnson? Nope - he's as uninformed as Trump.

I'm wondering if the democrats are ever going to lose another national election. The demographics and everything else are all favorable. I guess it's possible that once the economy finally starts crashing, the dems could lose power. But who knows how long that is going to be.
You are resigned to losing? Resigned that the Presumptive Queen has this in the bag?
Resigned to just giving up to the constant Media Hype that Trump has no chance?

OK -- but I'm not going to just give up, roll over and do nothing to stop a KNOWN Corrupt Elite Politician of the Status Quo to impose their will on ME. I'm not going to give up and allow the US Department of Justice under a candidate like Hillary Clinton continue to Destroy Law & Order in MY Country.

I'm NOT going to Give Up and allow them to Manipulate MY vote. You do what you think is best.

Old 10-07-2016, 02:02 PM

5,701 posts, read 3,213,099 times
Even if Trump loses, Rubio will win in 2020. I'm not sure his platform will be that appealing, but it'll be better than whatever bat**** crazy liberalism the Dems are pushing 4 years from now.

Old 10-07-2016, 02:04 PM

7,413 posts, read 6,213,926 times
Stop watching MSNBC, Fox, CNN and Fox Business. The election reporting is designed to discourage Trump supporters.

Old 10-07-2016, 02:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightleavenyc View Post
Even if Trump loses, Rubio will win in 2020. I'm not sure his platform will be that appealing, but it'll be better than whatever bat**** crazy liberalism the Dems are pushing 4 years from now.
Rubio would have been a FAR better choice for the GOP than Trump was. Rubio and Kasich were the 2 GOP candidates most Democrats probably feared the most. Fortunately, Republicans were too stupid to nominate them. With the bloodbath to follow Trumps loss, there may not be much of a GOP left in 2020 so who knows who the nominee will be. The GOP will have to purge itself of the crazies before they will be able to nominate a sensible nominee. Not sure that's going to be an easy task.

Ken

Old 10-07-2016, 02:23 PM

7,801 posts, read 10,087,054 times
Quote:
This is the exact sort of ignorance that drives Muslims right into the arms of Islamic fundamentalists and groups like ISIS, Al Qaeda, etc. The fundies go around telling Muslims that "the infidels will always hate you", and this gets backed by the bigots spewing their hate towards anyone who looks, speaks, or prays differently than they do. It's been reported that ISIS has used Trump speeches as part of their recruiting efforts.

The simpleton "ban em all"/"blow em all to hell" mentality does not work. You cannot defeat an idea with a bomb or a bullet. That's counter-insurgency 101. Unfortunately the Trupians still subscribe to that horrid urban legend about Pershing and the bullets dipped in pig's fat

Old 10-07-2016, 02:25 PM

7,801 posts, read 10,087,054 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
Rubio would have been a FAR better choice for the GOP than Trump was. Rubio and Kasich were the 2 GOP candidates most Democrats probably feared the most. Fortunately, Republicans were too stupid to nominate them. With the bloodbath to follow Trumps loss, there may not be much of a GOP left in 2020 so who knows who the nominee will be. The GOP will have to purge itself of the crazies before they will be able to nominate a sensible nominee. Not sure that's going to be an easy task.

Ken
Well said

During the primary season I recall reading an article where a Clinton staffer was quoted as saying that "Bush, Rubio, and Kasich are the ones that keep us awake at night".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections