Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-12-2016, 12:17 PM

8,313 posts, read 3,921,805 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MetroWord View Post
The GOP is amidst a civil war right now. Every major conservative newspaper has come out and support Clinton. Republican officials are either denouncing Trump or won't defend him. And yet, somehow, Trump is suppose to unite the country all the while the Republican party is split like never before?
What in the world gave you the idea he wants to "unite the country?" That's the last thing he wants to do, and it's the last thing the malcontent faction that supports him would ever want. If you manage to manipulate yourself into power, use hate and division to weaken your enemies. It is called divide and conquer, an age old tactic to crush opposition. This man will never in his lifetime forget or forgive anyone that has ever opposed him.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2016, 12:52 PM

13,641 posts, read 9,696,571 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by petch751 View Post
The upper middle class still has to work, they still depend on income. This is why when Obama and now Hillary say they are going to make the rich pay, make "the rich pay higher taxes", they are actually targeting High income middle class people and not the rich. They see the middle-middle class and the lower middle class as tapped out so they are targeting the upper middle class for more revenue.
These are all reasonable points of discussion. I'm no tax-expert, but from what I've been able to glean, neither Trump nor Clinton offer a tax-package that’s particularly favorable to the upper middle class. Indeed, it could be argued that it is precisely the upper middle class that's been the pawn and punching-bag (choose your favorite metaphor) in the much-ballyhooed class warfare. The real upper class (by whatever definition) doesn't want these upper-middle-class interlopers yapping at their heels, while the working class resents being outstripped by the nerds who got stuffed into locker-rooms in high-school, who went on to get engineering PhDs.

But the real question that we're debating isn't tax-policy. It's whether the middle class has suffered or gained, and the extent to which politicians – any politicians – have much influence on this. By my reckoning, the middle class, or at least the upper middle class, has indeed done well. It's entirely possible that the next administration will levy stupid and draconian taxes; I don't know. But that's not what this election is about. This election is about whether "the middle class" is really hurting – meaning, that some radical innovation or policy-reversal is needed – or on the contrary, whether the middle class is doing just fine.

Old 10-12-2016, 12:53 PM

1,432 posts, read 1,091,339 times
Quote:
The GOP is amidst a civil war right now. Every major conservative newspaper has come out and support Clinton. Republican officials are either denouncing Trump or won't defend him. And yet, somehow, Trump is suppose to unite the country all the while the Republican party is split like never before?

ha, ha civil war...I think not. I say get rid of all incumbents, Rep or Dem....we need to start over

Old 10-12-2016, 12:57 PM

18,780 posts, read 18,119,168 times
The Republican and Democratic Parties destroyed themselves. Special interest has these politicians in their back pocket. Voters vote them into office and they, in turn, only see the money. Just think of how many times in the last few decades any worker said to themselves: Gee; they are working for me - I am glad I voted for them! How many males can afford to keep their families home today? Most of us have seen articles like this one: Americans Risking Financial Disaster: New Survey Reports 7 in 10 Americans Have Less Than $1,000 in Savings | Ready Nutrition. We can argue about the numbers; but money does not go far. The reason that money does not go far is because we opened the door to competition from all over the world - we do not protect our workers.

It doesn't bother me because I do have some means. But this will be my ninth year working for a major company as a 'temp'. They do pay me fairly well. But I see young, promising, men and women that think they are going someplace and find out they go no place. You cannot build a future on false promises. If you perform at your job and have shown your devotion; you expect to advance - not to go down the ladder. But this is what coperate America wants today: Employees that live in fear and cannot ask for more money or benefits. The globalist/one-world-order people have won. This is why we see Trump as one last hope for true change.

Old 10-12-2016, 01:00 PM

6,258 posts, read 5,065,755 times
Quote:
Attempting to demean people (through name calling) is an attempt to shut down free speech of someone who they don't agree with so we can not listen opposing views and then make up our own minds.

I just saw a video made by a black women who admitted she wouldn't even listen to Trump. At some point she did listen to him, which led to more listening and she says, she likes what he is saying and is now supporting Trump. This is what the left is afraid will happen so they use hate words to diminish the opposition.
Agreed, But conservatives are not exempt for doing exactly the same thing, There are good, decent, honest, hardworking liberals who honestly believe in the Democrat positions for varying reasons. I'm not talking about the screaming, screeching, agenda-driven, talking points spewing, cupcake nation, safe space type of liberals. I'm talking about normal, everyday Americans who just quietly mind their business and live their lives, just like normal, everyday Americans who believe in conservative positions. Middle of the road - as most our nation actually is, and as most of our nation is being ignored.

THEIR conversations are drowned out as well. By the screaming, screeching, agenda-driven, hard liners on both sides. The media gives the far left and far right all the attention because it drives ratings and by default advertising dollars. Politicians give the far left and right all the attention because it drives wedges between people and (they hope) drives people to the polls.

But I firmly believe in the goodness and decency of average Americans. The ones who just get up in the morning, drop their kids off at school, go to work, mow their lawn or go to PTA meetings after work. We're not supposed to acknowledge the goodness of average Americans on the "other side" because if we did we would have to come together as one nation of American citizens and demand better. Media doesn't want that. Politicians don't want that. We're all fighting among ourselves (anything to distract us away from the inadequacy of our elected representatives). We're all fighting for the scraps those same elected officials choose to toss in our direction. We're all being played. Like puppets on a string.

Old 10-12-2016, 01:10 PM

79,913 posts, read 44,167,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCALMike View Post
No. You only have to look at Scalia's track record to see how subservient he is to the donor class of this country.
Scalia did not create laws. You know this. Odd how you refuse to blame those who do but have done nothing but take huge fee's for speeches.

Old 10-12-2016, 01:14 PM

79,913 posts, read 44,167,332 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
God has nothing to do with this election.

But really--I am stymied by the hyperbole (that word is getting overused, but I don't know what else to use) over Hillary Clinton such as you demonstrate. The whole "she should be in jail, she will destroy the country, blah blah blah" stuff.

Yeah, she's a politician, and yeah, she's had her share of dirty dealings--all politicians do. They don't get to Washington without having sold their souls along the way to some degree. It is the nature of the beast. But don't you think this pearl-clutching, comparing her to Satan in some cases, type of stuff is way over the top? It's not intelligent, and it just makes her opponents who take that tack appear somewhat silly and simple-minded. I suspect the Internet and the lack of people's questioning what they read on the Internet has much to do with that.

Guess what. Hillary Clinton will be our next President. No, I'm not thrilled, and like you, her voice grates on my nerves. But the country will not collapse. All the terrible things people fear are not going to happen. We are going to continue to chug along, with ups, with downs, until the next election.

ETA: I'm a white female. 58 years old. Conservative on some things, liberal on others; e.g., prefer minimal gun control, don't really care about illegal aliens one way or another. Worked in NYC for 37 years, sometimes touching on the RE industry, have spoken to Trump on the phone, have met several times with his daughter. By all accounts, he is a down-to-earth, regular guy, not the clown we see performing during this election cycle riling people up with his divisiveness.

But he is in no way, shape, or form qualified to be in Washington, DC.

I wish we had better choices. Perhaps the American people will take this mess of an election as a wake-up call and demand that have people of better character put before us in 2020. I'm not getting my hopes up, though.
She has already done what I fear. I fear more useless unjustified wars killing hundreds of thousands more innocent individuals and she has already taken us there.

I fear an ever growing banking industry and she has shown she is willing and will continue to take us in that direction.

"What we fear from Trump, we have already seen in Clinton".

Jill Stein.

We have better choices.

Old 10-12-2016, 03:28 PM

285 posts, read 197,505 times
Quote:
Tell me when Trump talked about uniting the country. He didn't. He said he'd restore law & order, secure the border, and improve the economy. You might be thinking of Obama. He was the guy who was supposed to end racism and get everyone to love each other. Yeah........that didn't work out so great, did it? And then we have Hillary and her supporters yelling "love trumps hate!" LOL!!!!!!!!!!! What a joke!

Old 10-12-2016, 03:31 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,512,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by juneaubound View Post
Agreed, But conservatives are not exempt for doing exactly the same thing, There are good, decent, honest, hardworking liberals who honestly believe in the Democrat positions for varying reasons. I'm not talking about the screaming, screeching, agenda-driven, talking points spewing, cupcake nation, safe space type of liberals. I'm talking about normal, everyday Americans who just quietly mind their business and live their lives, just like normal, everyday Americans who believe in conservative positions. Middle of the road - as most our nation actually is, and as most of our nation is being ignored.

THEIR conversations are drowned out as well. By the screaming, screeching, agenda-driven, hard liners on both sides. The media gives the far left and far right all the attention because it drives ratings and by default advertising dollars. Politicians give the far left and right all the attention because it drives wedges between people and (they hope) drives people to the polls.

But I firmly believe in the goodness and decency of average Americans. The ones who just get up in the morning, drop their kids off at school, go to work, mow their lawn or go to PTA meetings after work. We're not supposed to acknowledge the goodness of average Americans on the "other side" because if we did we would have to come together as one nation of American citizens and demand better. Media doesn't want that. Politicians don't want that. We're all fighting among ourselves (anything to distract us away from the inadequacy of our elected representatives). We're all fighting for the scraps those same elected officials choose to toss in our direction. We're all being played. Like puppets on a string.
You know, we don't agree much.

But I agree with every bit of this post.

Most of us are middle of the road, hardworking people. We would never say in a real conversation with real people - the things we say on here.

Old 10-12-2016, 03:32 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,512,088 times
Quote:
You make a good parrot.
What do you make a good of?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections