Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-11-2016, 11:07 PM

13,643 posts, read 9,698,765 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by juneaubound View Post
Ask yourself why? Why would the GOP establishment and the typically conservative media be against Trump? More to the point, why would conservative entities support Clinton when they KNOW that the future of the SC is on the line? ...
The very essence of "conservatism" is skepticism of change, and especially of rapid change. To be conservative fundamentally means to embrace the establishment. "Anti-establishment Conservative" is an oxymoron. However loathsome a particular situation might be to conservatives, they would argue for gradual, evolutionary improvement.

Trumpism, in advocating for sweeping transformations, is the opposite of conservatism – even if, for the sake of argument, Trump extols traditional values (whatever that means) and wishes to return America to some halcyon earlier age. By arguing for only gradual and incremental change, it's Hillary Clinton who's the more properly conservative candidate in this election.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-12-2016, 05:52 AM

19,719 posts, read 16,828,251 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by War Beagle View Post
You actually think it's possible to unite this country? Do you also believe in unicorns, leprechauns and the tooth fairy?

No one is uniting this country. Will never happen ever again. If some mythical figure were to do it, it would be neither of the two ignoramuses running for president.

If we are not reunited again, some day, it will spell the end of us as a nation. Study the rise and fall of the Roman Empire a little and it will show that even the greatest nations and military on earth can fail. With the huge divide I am seeing in this election, it scares me as much as I am scared by a Trump Presidency.

When you see people standing up at rallies calling for revolution , we better all take a look at where we are and where we are going. We seem to be a country right now of contents and malcontents, and when we see people following a radical candidate, like Donald Trump, who has ideas that could be extremely detrimental to us, it gives us reason to be concerned.

Even teachers now are reporting an upsurge in hostile acts and attitudes by their students, they label it the "Trump effect'. Kids learn by what they observe, and every night on TV they are bombarded with ugly images of how adults are thinking and acting. This whole mess is extremely disturbing.

Don

Old 10-12-2016, 09:51 AM

3,971 posts, read 4,035,479 times
Media rigged, corruption abounds. Elites in the Republican Party are weak that's for sure.

Old 10-12-2016, 10:03 AM

2,852 posts, read 1,611,830 times
Here's my stance:
I'm a white male, 56 years old.
I'm a conservative. I tend to support those with an 'R' by their name.
I was once told that if you're 25 and not a liberal, you don't have a heart. And if you're 40 and not a conservative, you don't have a brain.
I did not vote for Trump in the Primary election. I was pulling for Ben Carson.
I'm following the election closely.
I cannot stand HRC.... the sound of her voice turns my stomach.
The things she's done - and not done - turn my stomach. I cannot vote for her ever. Period.
I don't think Trump is the next Ronald Reagan. He'll never be duplicated or replaced... God rest his sole, but I'll vote for Trump in November. I want him to win. I want him to win BADLY... I want to see 'that woman' in an orange jump suit... and I know that'll never happen...she's a Clinton... nothing sticks to them - only to the blue dress....
If anyone on my ballot abandoned Trump, they will not get my vote. I'll vote for the other person, despite their having a 'D' next to their name. If they ran from Trump, I'm running from them. If it collapses the Republican party, it was their own doing.
Abe Lincoln once said that if the United States were to ever fall it would not be from an outsider. That the collapse would come from within. If Hillary gets in, that collapse is closer than you think.
God bless Donald J. Trump - and God bless the USA.

Old 10-12-2016, 10:06 AM

88,515 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phma View Post
How is crooked Hillary going to manage the W.H. when she can't manage her own house ?

M.Obama's words.
Cute as far as catchy sayings go, but not really reality. She will manage the W.H. because she'll have staff to do that. And she'll have staff to manage Bill, too, hehehe.

Old 10-12-2016, 10:07 AM

6,260 posts, read 5,066,250 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ohio_peasant View Post
The very essence of "conservatism" is skepticism of change, and especially of rapid change. To be conservative fundamentally means to embrace the establishment. "Anti-establishment Conservative" is an oxymoron. However loathsome a particular situation might be to conservatives, they would argue for gradual, evolutionary improvement.

Trumpism, in advocating for sweeping transformations, is the opposite of conservatism – even if, for the sake of argument, Trump extols traditional values (whatever that means) and wishes to return America to some halcyon earlier age. By arguing for only gradual and incremental change, it's Hillary Clinton who's the more properly conservative candidate in this election.
Trump doesn't extol traditional values (whatever that means), not all conservatives are skeptical of change, and not all are voting for him because he is "conservative" (obviously he's not).

THIS woman is voting for border security, enforcement of the 2A, anti-progressive SC nominees, support for law enforcement, a smaller government, fewer illegals and fewer refugees, fewer restrictions on business creation and growth, a rebuilding of our military, the end to sanctuary cities, and............you get the idea.

If he does 1/4 - hell if he did 1/8 of what he's promised I'll be gratified at the progress we have made. A lot of people think like me. Returning to an "earlier age" Ohio Peasant, is not on my list of issues. Your entire premise is incorrect. If it was correct then Trump would not have made it as far as he has.

Old 10-12-2016, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TUMF View Post
Here's my stance:
I'm a white male, 56 years old.
I'm a conservative. I tend to support those with an 'R' by their name.
I was once told that if you're 25 and not a liberal, you don't have a heart. And if you're 40 and not a conservative, you don't have a brain.
I did not vote for Trump in the Primary election. I was pulling for Ben Carson.
I'm following the election closely.
I cannot stand HRC.... the sound of her voice turns my stomach.
The things she's done - and not done - turn my stomach. I cannot vote for her ever. Period.
I don't think Trump is the next Ronald Reagan. He'll never be duplicated or replaced... God rest his soul, but I'll vote for Trump in November. I want him to win. I want him to win BADLY... I want to see 'that woman' in an orange jump suit... and I know that'll never happen...she's a Clinton... nothing sticks to them - only to the blue dress....
If anyone on my ballot abandoned Trump, they will not get my vote. I'll vote for the other person, despite their having a 'D' next to their name. If they ran from Trump, I'm running from them. If it collapses the Republican party, it was their own doing.
Abe Lincoln once said that if the United States were to ever fall it would not be from an outsider. That the collapse would come from within. If Hillary gets in, that collapse is closer than you think.
God bless Donald J. Trump - and God bless the USA.
God has nothing to do with this election.

But really--I am stymied by the hyperbole (that word is getting overused, but I don't know what else to use) over Hillary Clinton such as you demonstrate. The whole "she should be in jail, she will destroy the country, blah blah blah" stuff.

Yeah, she's a politician, and yeah, she's had her share of dirty dealings--all politicians do. They don't get to Washington without having sold their souls along the way to some degree. It is the nature of the beast. But don't you think this pearl-clutching, comparing her to Satan in some cases, type of stuff is way over the top? It's not intelligent, and it just makes her opponents who take that tack appear somewhat silly and simple-minded. I suspect the Internet and the lack of people's questioning what they read on the Internet has much to do with that.

Guess what. Hillary Clinton will be our next President. No, I'm not thrilled, and like you, her voice grates on my nerves. But the country will not collapse. All the terrible things people fear are not going to happen. We are going to continue to chug along, with ups, with downs, until the next election.

ETA: I'm a white female. 58 years old. Conservative on some things, liberal on others; e.g., prefer minimal gun control, don't really care about illegal aliens one way or another. Worked in NYC for 37 years, sometimes touching on the RE industry, have spoken to Trump on the phone, have met several times with his daughter. By all accounts, he is a down-to-earth, regular guy, not the clown we see performing during this election cycle riling people up with his divisiveness.

But he is in no way, shape, or form qualified to be in Washington, DC.

I wish we had better choices. Perhaps the American people will take this mess of an election as a wake-up call and demand that have people of better character put before us in 2020. I'm not getting my hopes up, though.

Last edited by Mightyqueen801; 10-12-2016 at 10:23 AM..

Old 10-12-2016, 10:30 AM

8,275 posts, read 7,941,970 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post
If we are not reunited again, some day, it will spell the end of us as a nation. Study the rise and fall of the Roman Empire a little and it will show that even the greatest nations and military on earth can fail. With the huge divide I am seeing in this election, it scares me as much as I am scared by a Trump Presidency.

When you see people standing up at rallies calling for revolution , we better all take a look at where we are and where we are going. We seem to be a country right now of contents and malcontents, and when we see people following a radical candidate, like Donald Trump, who has ideas that could be extremely detrimental to us, it gives us reason to be concerned.

Don
I agree with your general idea. I think it is more likely the US breaks apart than we are ever reunited. We aren't even united by tragedies anymore - both sides waste no time in making political points.

Old 10-12-2016, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by don1945 View Post

Even teachers now are reporting an upsurge in hostile acts and attitudes by their students, they label it the "Trump effect'. Kids learn by what they observe, and every night on TV they are bombarded with ugly images of how adults are thinking and acting. This whole mess is extremely disturbing.

Don
The thing about this statement, though there is merit to it, is that it's pretty old and tired. I was born in 1958, and I can remember being a child and hearing my mother continually saying, "The United States is going just the way of the Roman Empire, once great, but doomed to fail..."

That was because of Vietnam War protests, the black riots of the 60s, hippies, birth control, girls wearing bikinis and short skirts, and the Kennedys.

Now here we are almost 50 years later and people are still saying the same thing. Only the situations and players have changed.

What I am saying is that there has never been a time when all in this country is peaceful and everyone's content and leadership is strong for everyone.

That's the fallacy with "Make America Great Again". It never was, only for some at certain times.

Old 10-12-2016, 10:43 AM

27,119 posts, read 15,300,057 times
How is the left going to unite the country when they are the ones that are dividing it?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections