U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2008, 04:43 PM

28,210 posts, read 47,618,622 times

Advertisements

LORAIN, Ohio - Barack Obama accused Democratic presidential rival Hillary Rodham Clinton on Sunday of trying to walk away from a long record of support for NAFTA, the free trade agreement that he said has cost 50,000 jobs in Ohio, site of next week's primary.

Obama hits Clinton on NAFTA support - Yahoo! News (broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2008, 05:39 PM
BVH

944 posts, read 467,423 times
"Senator Obama’s insistence on repeating attacks that have been demonstrated to be false by independent entities proves once and for all that his speeches about the new politics are just words. That’s not change you can believe in."
—Clinton spokesman Phil Singer
The Fact Hub (broken link)

Old 02-24-2008, 05:43 PM

1,491 posts, read 2,028,224 times
Barack Obama | Change We Can Believe In |
Hillary has supported NAFTA

Old 02-24-2008, 05:47 PM

69,372 posts, read 55,503,824 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BVH View Post
"Senator Obama’s insistence on repeating attacks that have been demonstrated to be false by independent entities proves once and for all that his speeches about the new politics are just words. That’s not change you can believe in."
—Clinton spokesman Phil Singer
The Fact Hub (broken link)
Well if the Clinton spokesman said it.. it must be true..

Old 02-24-2008, 05:48 PM

7,208 posts, read 8,381,346 times
From the Open Left

According to NBC's Meet the Press, in 2004, Clinton said, "I think, on balance, NAFTA has been good for New York and America."
In her memoir, Clinton trumpeted her husband's "successes on the budget, the Brady bill and NAFTA."
And in 1998, Bloomberg News reports that she praised corporations for mounting "a very effective business effort in the U.S. on behalf of NAFTA."

Old 02-26-2008, 02:10 PM
BVH

944 posts, read 467,423 times
David Gergen admitted last night that Hillary was never a NAFTA supporter:

GERGEN: "I was actually there in the Clinton White House during the NAFTA fight and I must tell you Hillary Clinton was extremely unenthusiastic about NAFTA. And I think that’s putting it mildly. I’m not sure she objected to all the provisions of it but she just didn’t see why her husband and that White House had to go and do that fight. She was very unhappy about it and wanted to move on to health care. So I do think there’s some justification for her camp saying, you know, she’s never been a great backer for NAFTA." [David Gergen, Anderson Cooper 360, 2/25/08]
http://transcripts.cnn.com/TRANSCRIP...25/acd.02.html

For the record, Gergen IS a supporter of NAFTA:
GERGEN: Well, that's right. As you remember, Gloria, Bill Clinton, I thought it was one of his most courageous decisions. I'm a NAFTA backer. But he had to take on the labor unions. He had to take on a lot of her Democratic constituencies that she wanted to keep firm for the health care fight. So there was a lot about NAFTA she didn't really like, but she had to keep her mouth shut because, after all, he was the president.

Old 02-26-2008, 02:19 PM

7,208 posts, read 8,381,346 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BVH View Post
David Gergen admitted last night that Hillary was never a NAFTA supporter:

GERGEN: "I was actually there in the Clinton White House during the NAFTA fight and I must tell you Hillary Clinton was extremely unenthusiastic about NAFTA. And I think that’s putting it mildly. I’m not sure she objected to all the provisions of it but she just didn’t see why her husband and that White House had to go and do that fight. She was very unhappy about it and wanted to move on to health care. So I do think there’s some justification for her camp saying, you know, she’s never been a great backer for NAFTA." [David Gergen, Anderson Cooper 360, 2/25/08]
CNN.com - Transcripts

For the record, Gergen IS a supporter of NAFTA:
GERGEN: Well, that's right. As you remember, Gloria, Bill Clinton, I thought it was one of his most courageous decisions. I'm a NAFTA backer. But he had to take on the labor unions. He had to take on a lot of her Democratic constituencies that she wanted to keep firm for the health care fight. So there was a lot about NAFTA she didn't really like, but she had to keep her mouth shut because, after all, he was the president.
Well if David Gergen said it, I'll take that as the gospel truth. On the other hand I have her quotes. Here's a direct quote from Clinton from a speech she gave in 2002:
"We all know the record of the DLC, the Progressive Policy Institute and, of course, the Clinton-Gore Administration. The economic recovery plan stands first and foremost as a testament to both good ideas and political courage. National service. The Brady Bill. Family Leave. NAFTA. Investment in science and technology. New markets. Charter schools. The Earned Income Tax Credit. The welfare to work partnership. The COPS program. The SAFER program. All of these came out of some very fundamental ideas about what would work. The results speak for themselves. Those ideas were converted into policies programs that literally changed millions of lives and, I argue, changed America."

Old 02-26-2008, 02:28 PM

163 posts, read 849,330 times
So basically she felt one way about it privately, but supported it publicly because the rest of the crowd supported it, therefore it was in her best political interest to smile, go along with it, and support it too.

But now that the politics of the day are different, it's now politically in her best interest to not support it...so she's trying to rewrite history and claim she doesn't/didn't support it.

Sound familiar...kind of like her vote on the Iraq war?

Not exactly the kind of leader I'm looking for.

Old 02-26-2008, 04:35 PM

715 posts, read 1,952,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigdummy View Post
Not exactly the kind of leader I'm looking for.
Obama hitting Hillary on NAFTA is such a ploy for votes. Mainly because Obama supports of free trade, it's just a key detail that he never brings up when he keeps reminding people of how Hillary is tied to it.
Obama targets NAFTA but says supports free trade - Yahoo! News (broken link)

Old 02-26-2008, 06:29 PM

1,999 posts, read 1,260,285 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trevor92 View Post
Obama hitting Hillary on NAFTA is such a ploy for votes. Mainly because Obama supports of free trade, it's just a key detail that he never brings up when he keeps reminding people of how Hillary is tied to it.
Obama targets NAFTA but says supports free trade - Yahoo! News (broken link)
Its a fake made up story that was made up to give Obama an edge and NAFTA is the biggest reason for jobs leaving Ohio.

If anything she could use it back against him real quick because is for a total global open market which is even worse then NAFTA.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or