Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-20-2016, 04:32 PM

27,131 posts, read 15,310,658 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tominftl View Post
Trump is a joke. I can't understand what his loyal trumpsters see in this weirdo

I guess when you see the mountains of info out on the extent of corruption conspiracy ( not theory but actual) of the Hillary campaign and her life over the past 8 years alone Trump is a clear choice.

There was a time not all too long ago where a person with Hillary's character shortcomings would have been rejected by 80% or more of the nation without so much of second thought.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2016, 04:35 PM

7,185 posts, read 3,699,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hellion1999 View Post
THE QUESTION was stupid....if there is fraud and legit concerns, Trump has a duty to his voters to challenge the election. To make him say he will accept the election results no matter what is the wrong answer.

Gore challenged the 2000 elections all the way to the Supreme Court. Media and Democrats have a short memory.

if Hillary feels fraud was committed against her, trust me, she will have her 300 lawyers challenging the results in the courts and the media backing her up.
And, yet... today he said of course he would challenge the results ---- IF HE LOSES. Not "if there is fraud and legit concerns", but simply IF HE LOSES. As if there is no chance that he could possibly lose without massive voter manipulation and fraud, that there is no chance the the majority of the American voters just might not want him.

At the time of the one election lately that has been challenged, it was challenged on a very specific state, and the challenge came about because many people in that specific state complained of issues. And, the candidate stopped the challenge for the good of the country. That trump maintains that he will challenge, on no particular basis other than if he loses, will not be good for the country. But, heck, trump has never done anything for the good of the country before, so why should we expect him to do so now?

Old 10-20-2016, 04:36 PM

6,977 posts, read 5,707,016 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loves2read View Post
He refused to say he would accept the election result--he qualified it by saying he would wait and see...

Senators Graham and Flake already came out against it--no surprise there...

Don Jr says "if there is voter fraud of course he wouldn't accept it"...
So here we go with the lawsuits...

And Kellyanne's hair looks really bad since last debate...stress does that...

I guess there's no more bigger fish to fry, so we're talking about this?

Really?

Old 10-20-2016, 04:39 PM

7,185 posts, read 3,699,096 times
Actually, no, it doesn't discredit trump... he's already done that himself.
Simple Definition of discredit

• : to cause (someone or something) to seem dishonest or untrue
  • : to damage the reputation of (someone)
Discredit | Definition of Discredit by Merriam-Webster

Old 10-20-2016, 04:40 PM

27,131 posts, read 15,310,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kat in aiken View Post
And, yet... today he said of course he would challenge the results ---- IF HE LOSES. Not "if there is fraud and legit concerns", but simply IF HE LOSES. As if there is no chance that he could possibly lose without massive voter manipulation and fraud, that there is no chance the the majority of the American voters just might not want him.

At the time of the one election lately that has been challenged, it was challenged on a very specific state, and the challenge came about because many people in that specific state complained of issues. And, the candidate stopped the challenge for the good of the country. That trump maintains that he will challenge, on no particular basis other than if he loses, will not be good for the country. But, heck, trump has never done anything for the good of the country before, so why should we expect him to do so now?

As if the Clinton campaign has not been pulling every underhanded trick and even illegal activity in this race.

Old 10-20-2016, 08:01 PM

33,321 posts, read 12,516,741 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by maverikv View Post
What's the weather like in the reality you live in? Congress refuses to do anything Obama wants to do, somehow this is Obama's fault?
It isn't the job of members of congress to be a doormat for the POTUS. Boehner was largely useless, but I do agree with one sentiment of his...something to the effect that 'congress should be judged by repealing dumb laws, not the opposite'. Do a search for 'president stompy foot or 'president stompy feet'. On the occasions I have done that, the name of only one person who has been the president of any country appears, our current POTUS Barack Obama. Obama is a human being, he is just as capable of compromise as other human beings. He should get his way just because he is the POTUS? Nope. Parties need to convince the public to keep all three elected entities of the federal government in their corner if they want to take a 'my way or the highway attitude' and have their legislative wishes come true. What was one of the results the last time that was the case?....the ACA .

Quote:
The U.S. is absolutely a democracy, go back to school.
You're the one who needs to go back to school. The U.S. is a constitutional republic, not a democracy. Do you understand any of the differences between a republic and a democracy? It doesn't sound as though you do, else you wouldn't have posted the statement above. Perhaps what confuses you is that the U.S. can also correctly be described as a democratic republic. The key is that the U.S. is a republic, not a democracy.

Democracy vs Republic - Difference and Comparison | Diffen

^^^^^ The comparison chart section highlights the differences between a Democracy and a Republic. Under 'famous examples' in the Republic section (NOT the separate Democracy section), the only example listed is the United States of America.

Lower down (below the comparison chart) on that same page:

"Is the United States a Democracy or Republic?

The U.S. is a republic. Though it is now common for people, including American politicians, to refer to the U.S. as a "democracy," this is shorthand for the representational republic that exists, not for a pure democracy."

Even lower down on the same page, a section entitled:

"Implications

There are several political implications that arise from the U.S. being a republic. Laws passed by the majority --- through their representatives in government (federal or local) -- can be challenged and overturned if they violate the U.S. constitution. For example,"

The text after this gives descriptions with each example. I'll list the examples without the descriptions as quoted from the page

"Jim Crow laws
Brown v. Board of Education
Loving v. Virginia
2010 healthcare reform bill (a.k.a. Obamacare)
California Proposition 8, and Citizens United v. Federal Election Commission"

The FIRST sentence AFTER the above examples = "If the U.S. was not a republic, laws passed by the government (elected by majority) could not be challenged"

The section directly BEFORE the "Is the United States a Democracy or Republic?" section is entitled:

"Are a Democracy and a Republic Mutually Exclusive?"...

...The author then makes an assumption, and gives his/her opinion. He/she starts with my statement in the post that you replied to above - "There are many who make this statement, "The United States is a republic, not a democracy". This make it seem like a democracy and a republic are mutually exclusive. They usually aren't"....note usually, not always...the terms aren't synonymous......and the description of what a republic usually (but not always) is contains no specific reference to the United States for the rest of this section..."usually a republic is a type of representational democracy with some checks and balances enshrined in the constitution that safeguard the rights of minorities. A "pure" democracy would imply the rule of the majority in every sphere of life, without such safeguards"....still no specific reference to the United States. IME, others have argued the meat of this author's "mutually exclusive" section are what make the 'democratic' in 'democratic republic' the case.

The section IMMEDIATELY/DIRECTLY after the "mutually exclusive" section in his/her text is the "Is the United States a Democracy or a Republic?" section also noted earlier in this post, as stated:

"Is the United States a Democracy or a Republic?

The U.S. is a republic. Though it is now common for people, including American politicians, to refer to the U.S. as a "democracy," this is shorthand for the representational republic that exists, not for a pure democracy"

^^^^^ This section is specifically descriptive of the United States. "representational REPUBLIC" (not representational democracy as in the latter part of the "mutually exclusive" section that is not specific to the United States).

The LAST/FINAL section of the link is entitled "Democracies and Republics Today"....the first sentence is as follows:

"Despite the common use of the word "democracy" and the desire to "spread democracy", most countries throughout the world today govern as republics."

I've always been aware of what the U.S. is and what it isn't. Many progressives I encounter see the fact that the U.S. is a republic as an irritating inconvenience that gets in the way of progressive policy that can be put into place by non-elected bureaucrats (usually via regulations), and would love it if the SCOTUS didn't exist as a potential check on this. Given this, I like to get under the skin of progressives with my statement, reminding them that the U.S. is a republic (A.K.A. a constitutional republic or democratic republic). The post you replied to was a reply to another member...not you...although given both of your posts, you would probably agree on quite a bit.

Different parties could debate the related semantics of this all day long (Is the United States a pure democracy?...no....Is the United States a republic with democratic features...yes....etc....ad nauseam.....which wouldn't be productive), but technically Classical Greece and Rome were democracies, and the United States is a republic.

Old 10-20-2016, 08:08 PM

16,956 posts, read 16,751,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boris347 View Post
So true, so true. Will never accept that Criminal as a President.
Speaking of Criminals-----> Hillary <---------she does not know who she is messing with....

Donald won't take any of this crap lying down. I think she already regrets that he is not your average guy with tire tracks on his back. Nobody walks on this man. He knows she is corrupt and so do many Americans....

Old 10-20-2016, 08:23 PM

7,822 posts, read 4,563,838 times
If you step back for a moment you begin to realize what a dopey statement Trump has made about accepting results. It would be a news story if Obama refused to relinquish office, but Trump not accepting the election outcome would be little more than a loser not accepting a loss. No more, no less. Barely a footnote in the history books.

Old 10-20-2016, 08:25 PM

16,956 posts, read 16,751,778 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTQ3000 View Post
I think Trump is entitled to say he has no idea what is going to happen in 3 weeks, and therefore he reserves the right to mount a lawful challenge to contest aspects of the election process. I am fine with that.

But I am concerned about SOME Trump supporters thinking that it's time to revolt with firearms if Trump loses because that must mean that the electoral system is rigged.

Mick

This country could get really ugly... real quick... if furious, disgruntled voters stand out in their yards with torches and start walking the streets to protest the corruption that Hillary has been involved with and now they made her our President ...... I shudder to think how this election will change our country if this happens. Truly like watching a train wreck and not being able to do anything about it happening...

Old 10-20-2016, 08:46 PM

5,940 posts, read 3,570,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WannaliveinGreenville View Post
Speaking of Criminals-----> Hillary <---------she does not know who she is messing with....

Donald won't take any of this crap lying down. I think she already regrets that he is not your average guy with tire tracks on his back. Nobody walks on this man. He knows she is corrupt and so do many Americans....

Of course she is worried, and mad. She thought she had it made, right from the start, and he has been biting at her ankles all the way to present. She also said she didn't believe the polls, and I can see why. With all the Media and other pro Clinton sources asking questions that favor Hillary, the real numbers have become anyone's guess, and she is flipping. Add Wiki Leaks to that, and her failure to have Obama shut him up, she had to stay hidden so no one would ask her about all these e-mail fiascos her Campaign indulged in. It was reported She had a "Meltdown" at the last debate, behind the scenes, and went after her staff because the Mod asked her about an e-mail question that she didn't know was coming.

Its not over, and Wiki Leaks will be dumping new stuff every day, and who knows what poison pill will pop out of that. She can't keep deflecting it to the Russian Commies, right out of the McCarthy era. We all saw her deflect and never answer what Wallace asked her several time, with the "Russians are Coming" the "Russians are Coming" scare tactics. Who cares where the info comes from. Its the content that counts.

I like the idea of her Sheep already celebrating her Victory. Anything can happen, and Cheese manufacturers are stocking up reserves, in case she does lose, so all her Sheep can have some with their Whine.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections