Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-20-2016, 01:20 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,923,606 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveinMtAiry View Post
Ah yes, the old "you don't have the right to be offended, let me tell you what should offend you" excuse from the right. Glad I'm not your neighbor.
Not long ago, a neighbor used the expression "jew me down" and, because I try to get along with everyone, I explained it was very offensive. I also said "Jew is not a verb." Had she at least responded with, "Oh, I didn't realize that" or a simple "Sorry" I could have accepted her apology. But she just made excuses and told me she grew up in a rural area of WV and that's the way they spoke. Then she asked if I wanted to go out for some ch*nk food. (seriously)

No apology. No attempt to learn about other cultures and religions to learn to respect our differences. Just the old "political correctness" rant. I bet she's voting for Trump.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-20-2016, 01:24 PM

9,249 posts, read 26,685,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BucFan View Post
he's Archie Bunker personified.....word salad, circular reasoning, appeal to popularity/Argumentum ad populum and other obvious logical fallacies......all eaten up by the poorly educated.
Another overused term, poorly educated. So is 'highly educated'. Educated in what, exactly? Most people are educated just a bit in a lot of things. No one is highly educated in everything. So, someone went to college. That just means they are educated in their particular major of choice. They don't take everything the college offers. Poorly educated? What, someone went to a trade school? That doesn't make them less smart than someone who went to a 4 year college. And people who never went to college? Well, if they work their way up the ladder I'd say they are smart. Steve Jobs didn't go to college.

Old 10-20-2016, 01:27 PM

16,269 posts, read 10,395,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
Not long ago, a neighbor used the expression "jew me down" and, because I try to get along with everyone, I explained it was very offensive. I also said "Jew is not a verb." Had she at least responded with, "Oh, I didn't realize that" or a simple "Sorry" I could have accepted her apology. But she just made excuses and told me she grew up in a rural area of WV and that's the way they spoke. Then she asked if I wanted to go out for some ch*nk food. (seriously)

No apology. No attempt to learn about other cultures and religions to learn to respect our differences. Just the old "political correctness" rant. I bet she's voting for Trump.
That behavior is disgusting. This isn't being overly PC, it's just using common sense and common courtesy. Something lacking these days on this board.

Get it straight people, NOBODY has the right to tell others what should offend them and what should not. If you feel they are being overly sensitive then you are free to pick other people to hang out with.

Old 10-20-2016, 01:34 PM

4,504 posts, read 3,028,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dbones View Post
BFD. Just another manufactured thing to be outraged at. The reason Webster's saw a lot of traffic is because the dummies who thought they were supposed to be offended didn't even know what it meant.
You're correct except for one tiny little bit: They were TOLD they were supposed to be offended and had to find out why. They didn't THINK because that's not what they do.

It's always amusing how quickly the faux outrage explodes off the charts the minute some moron on TV mentions how bad a word or phrase is.

Old 10-20-2016, 01:40 PM

14,268 posts, read 18,923,606 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3~Shepherds View Post
All one has to do is walk around......I don't see starving people. Even, those coming from other countries. Although, some people may want to start reading the calorie count or just walking away from the second helping.
I agree that it's probably rare for someone to starve to death in the United States. In fact, I've even been accused of being a right-wing fascist (by conservatives!) because of my views about "free stuff," and I'm a Democrat. However, there sure are a lot of hungry people who wish they didn't have to choose between a warm home, medicine and a good meal. I wish we could weed out the moochers and take care of those in need but, until we do, we can't turn our backs on the poor. IMO it's naive to believe everyone in our country has enough food.

[URL="http://www.worldhunger.org/hunger-in-america-2015-united-states-hunger-and-poverty-facts/"]Fight Hunger With Knowledge
[/URL]

Old 10-20-2016, 01:49 PM

23,795 posts, read 13,250,882 times
Doesn't matter. He pronounced it wrong and provided the twittersphere with hilarious entertainment and jokes about bad hairstyles (ombres).

https://www.bustle.com/articles/1906...e-of-the-night

Donald Trump

Twitter Users Go to Town on Donald Trump's 'Bad Hombres' Comment | Complex

Old 10-20-2016, 01:50 PM

8,069 posts, read 6,965,507 times
Trump just made sure he lost the last 5 hombre votes he had left.

Seriously, I'm glad he used the word. The more people he offends the better. Keep digging your grave orange man.

Old 10-20-2016, 02:04 PM

32,516 posts, read 37,157,543 times
So Trumpy knows two Spanish words: hombre and taco.

That's bigly!!

Old 10-20-2016, 02:09 PM

288 posts, read 349,819 times
Just more manufactured outrage, nothing more, nothing less. It's pathetic at this point.

TB

Old 10-20-2016, 02:19 PM

1,009 posts, read 708,352 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Horizonite View Post
If Trump is Archie, then Hillary is Edith...bat crazy.
Good one
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections