Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2016, 09:11 AM

7,274 posts, read 5,242,378 times

Advertisements

No matter how this election is spun, no matter which side you're on even if by a fraction of a percentage, this is in my lifetime the biggest lesser of two evils election I have ever seen.

I'm from the camp where, regardless of disliking both candidates, that when polling day comes Trump and Clinton are the only two choices to vote for. Johnson and Stein are throwaway votes and will only affect either Trump or Clinton in the end. A write-in vote is a why did I bother to come to vote choice. Not voting at all is a copout and IMO somewhat un-American. People may think they are sending some sort of message by not voting for either major party candidate come election time. But if you don't believe that message is already out there loud and clear then you are clueless.

Until the loose two party system has changed, when it comes time to make a choice, I see no reason to vote for anyone except Trump or Clinton, because they are THE two choices for president that the primaries spit out, plain and simple. I dislike them both, but will vote for one of them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2016, 09:18 AM

11,186 posts, read 6,465,345 times
Bully for you. If you're in a competitive state, fine, pick between the potential winner you dislike less. Hillary will win my state by 2 million votes. There's absolutely no reason why I should force myself to vote for her or Trump.

Old 10-22-2016, 09:43 AM

6,218 posts, read 7,694,095 times
I'm from the camp where everyone is free to decide for themselves whom it is they would like to have represent them. Regardless of party affiliation.

CN

Old 10-22-2016, 09:49 AM

29,809 posts, read 18,675,159 times
I think there may be some people that will end up voting for the lesser of the 2 evils rather than for GJ or JS. I live in a state where my vote doesn't matter so i'm free to vote how I want and I might vote for Johnson, last minute decision.

Old 10-22-2016, 09:53 AM

9,842 posts, read 7,591,220 times
I am voting for Johnson. Few reasons...one is Johnson/Weld are on all 50 State ballots. They have an equal shot compared to a third party candidate who is on 23 or 43 State Ballots.

Second Johnson/Weld are the most popular of the third party candidates and offer the most political experience of the third party candidates I believe.

Third not on board with the Libertarian ideals, but Johnsom/Weld they reach out as a Centrist I feel. Can get behind that.

Fourth out of Clinton, Trump, and Johnson feel Johnson brings the best ideas to the table.

Fifth cone from a Blue State so my vote has never mattered in the POTUS race and I am voting for Johnson. Hopefully he'll win one or two counties in my State.

Old 10-22-2016, 10:45 AM

8,296 posts, read 3,871,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by metalmancpa View Post
No matter how this election is spun, no matter which side you're on even if by a fraction of a percentage, this is in my lifetime the biggest lesser of two evils election I have ever seen.

I'm from the camp where, regardless of disliking both candidates, that when polling day comes Trump and Clinton are the only two choices to vote for. Johnson and Stein are throwaway votes and will only affect either Trump or Clinton in the end. A write-in vote is a why did I bother to come to vote choice. Not voting at all is a copout and IMO somewhat un-American. People may think they are sending some sort of message by not voting for either major party candidate come election time. But if you don't believe that message is already out there loud and clear then you are clueless.

Until the loose two party system has changed, when it comes time to make a choice, I see no reason to vote for anyone except Trump or Clinton, because they are THE two choices for president that the primaries spit out, plain and simple. I dislike them both, but will vote for one of them.

Very true, I totally agree. The time came over a week ago for me, three in my household already voted for Clinton.

Old 10-22-2016, 10:47 AM

7,274 posts, read 5,242,378 times
I'm in MA, so I understand about being in a state where for the most part my vote doesn't matter. It's just my feeling about the overall process, that's all.

Old 10-22-2016, 10:47 AM

8,296 posts, read 3,871,248 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jazzarama View Post
Bully for you. If you're in a competitive state, fine, pick between the potential winner you dislike less. Hillary will win my state by 2 million votes. There's absolutely no reason why I should force myself to vote for her or Trump.
That's a fair point. My state is probably the tightest race in the US, so not an option for me, why our household voted Clinton. If you are absolutely certain your vote will not affect the state outcome, voting for a 3rd party can give them some momentum into the future. But how can you be certain of that? I guess if you are in MA or WV or CA you'd be certain of the outcome.

Old 10-22-2016, 10:54 AM

41,111 posts, read 25,583,631 times
Since when did what any of us believe mean anything? Certainly not in modern times.

Old 10-22-2016, 11:26 AM

9,842 posts, read 7,591,220 times
I say vote for who you believe will be the best candidate. We need to not look at a person running for Office as a Democrat, Republican, or Libertarian the President is the one making unified executive decisions for this Nation. Should vote for who will be the best choice. Not vote for another candidate denying your conscious because you feel your candidate will lose or you are afraid of the other candidates becoming the next POTUS. Vote with your conscious.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies > Elections